Good Sources for Tone of Voice Clips?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 12:03 pm

Does anyone know any good (free) resources for demonstrating differences in tones of voice? I have tried explaining, and demonstrating, but I was hoping there might be a source tailored for autistic kids that one of you might be aware of.

My son thinks any firm, serious voice is angry and sometimes I need to demonstrate seriousness, but I don't want him to think I am angry every time I need to redirect him, give him a warning etc.

(I have made a concerted effort to sound matter-of-fact, so I don't think the issue is me using an actual angry tone of voice.) I may tape it, just to be sure though.)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 1:47 pm

You could record most of what you say to him over several days, then isolate the snippets that show clear tones of voice, then tell him what the tones mean in context of the situation in which you used the tones. This would capture most naturalistic tones of voice and real life situations. A free program called Audacity is a good audio editor, if you need one.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 2:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hnLfnulwZw
The person reading kind of annoys me, but this explains different kinds of non-verbal communication fairly well, including tone of voice.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

WelcometoHolland. Thank you!

btbnnyr, I may end up having to tape myself, but I am hoping for something that also explains the differences. My ability to interpret and explain audio based differences is pretty bad. I would ideally like something that gives my son a basis that he can apply to more than just my voice when dealing with others.