Jerry Seinfeld thinks he is on the spectrum

Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 4:45 pm

I agree with Adamantium. There is a saying: ?Democracy gives every man the right to be his own oppressor.?----and it must give every parent the right to oppress their children, cuz that's just what they're doing when they always have this "Oh, my poor child" attitude. These so-called "Hover-Mothers" (or, whatever they're called) are doing their children NO favors, by spoiling them rotten, for instance. Then the child is sent-out into the world, and gets EATEN ALIVE, cuz nobody's gonna let them get away with the crap Mommy let them get away with. The WORST, for instance, is when I've seen a baby just learning how to walk and the baby falls-over and does NOT hurt himself, and doesn't even cry, UNTIL the mother rushes-in with all her "Oh, my baby----my poor baby"----THEN, the kid CRIES cuz the mother has just scared the bejesus out of it, and TAUGHT it to cry when it falls-over (and NOW that becomes a "button" that the kid knows to push, anytime he wants attention)! !! It's always that the injured / hurt / deformed / Autie / Aspie / whatever suffers alot LESS than the person on the outside, lookin'-in, thinks they are.

whatamess wrote:
It seems that the only ones attempt to keep EVERYONE in the same group and let the world know that regardless of where on the spectrum they fall, they feel at ease with others on the spectrum vs. NTs, are the actual autistics themselves.

Yep----EXACTLY!! !

alex
Developer
Developer

09 Nov 2014, 1:13 pm

His special interest (aside from comedy) appears to be collecting classic cars. He owns 47 porsches!! That's just one brand. I don't know how many other cars he owns but it's apparently a lot. I do know he owns a land rover defender because when I got my land rover stuck on the beach in the hamptons, the tow truck driver said he had to tow jerry seinfeld's land rover as well.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
Not impossible, but being a professional performer isn't something I associate with ASD. Or at least its very rare.
I don't think it's that rare. We even have our share of performers on WP including myself. And Tony Attwood speaks of it in his book and say that Aspies do find performing a career choice that works for some of them.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 1:20 pm

Alex, where are the cute glasses? Are you wearing contact lenses now?

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

Personally, meaning I am only speaking for myself here and no one else at all, I think that whether Jerry Seinfeld is on the Spectrum or not is really no one's concern but his. And he has the right to find out and certainly the means to do so. I wish him the best either way. But remember. a job in the limelight is just a job and we only know about him what we have read, seen or been told in a public way. He could be a very different person from what we see on TV. And I was a semi professional singer for years and would still be singing and acting and performing if I were not married. I absolutely loved performing and I was pretty good at it. So whether or not someone is a performer is not a good way to speculate if someone is on the Spectrum. And many of you are professional and amateur musicians as well and I know that we also have a couple of actors here on WP.

I appreciate Jerry going public about his suspicions but bottom line, I think we should wait to here from him about what the conclusions are after he is tested if he chooses to do that. And in the meantime, I would like to treat him just as I would any of you who have questions about whether or you you are on the Spectrum.

Personally I think that there is enough info out there about Autism now to make a pretty good educated guess as to whether you are a Spectrumite or not and about whether it is worth it to you to get tested. And Jerry is old enough to have lived with himself long enough to know himself that well and make a pretty good judgement just like any of us are able to.

And as far as the low functioning vs. high functioning thing and why he should not be able to call himself high functioning if he ends up actually being an Aspie, I don't understand that debate at all. Maybe you guys can help me understand what they are talking about and why anyone would have a problem if he ended being on the Spectrum and called himself high functioning. I am really confused about that, I really don't understand.

But no matter what the conclusion is, I wish Jerry and his family the best and whether it is ASD or not, hopefully he will have answers that will help him find the answers to the issues in his life. But despite his job, he is regular person just like anyone else and if he has these issues he deserves to get answers just like anyone else does.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 09 Nov 2014, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2014, 4:59 pm

alex wrote:
His special interest (aside from comedy) appears to be collecting classic cars. He owns 47 porsches!! That's just one brand. I don't know how many other cars he owns but it's apparently a lot. I do know he owns a land rover defender because when I got my land rover stuck on the beach in the hamptons, the tow truck driver said he had to tow jerry seinfeld's land rover as well.
On my way home (before I saw this post), I suddenly came to the same realization. I could be mistaken, but I believe I've even seen interviews where he's said that he couldn't even explain why he was so in love with Porches, he just was (and is still). What do you know, maybe I am wrong after all (and like I said, I would love for it to be proven so! :wink: )

YarnMonster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2014, 6:08 pm

Good for him, I say. I hope this brings him some peace in his life and helps him understand himself. I don't care if he gets an 'official' dx- there will always be someone who doesn't believe it anyway. Just be happy, enjoy your life y'know?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 6:51 pm

My husband does the best imitation of him. It's hilarious.

Wreck It Ralph

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

09 Nov 2014, 11:12 pm

MadHatterMatador wrote:
Toy_Soldier wrote:
Not impossible, but being a professional performer isn't something I associate with ASD. Or at least its very rare.

Yeah, or it's very mild. I feel like there needs to be more levels than just three. I haven't been diagnosed since the publication of the new DSM, but I imagine I would be level one, yet it feels like so many of these sort of people like Seinfeld, if they are on the spectrum, are a whole hell of a lot more socially competent and functional than I am. I guess that's what I don't like about all of these self-diagnoses, because I feel like it kind of trivializes my situation. I guess that's probably more of an issue with me though.

I think it's a mistake to assume that people in the entertainment line of work are as socially competent as they appear on screen or stage. There's a big difference between reciting a rehearsed script and functioning in a real social environment. Someone on the spectrum could easily be successful at the former, but terrible at the latter.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 11:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Wouldn't that be something?

That would be awesome.

Colbey
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Nov 2014, 2:07 pm

Consider what many Stand Up comedians do to improve their performance.
After every evening's act they evaluate what the crowd laughed at, what they did not respond to, and how each change in wording or vocal tone effects these results.

Will a given joke work better or worse if the crowd has had many drinks? Will politically conservative area react differently than more liberal cities? What if the crowd in mostly male, or female? How are different types of crowds effected by vulgar language? What effects do the cloths the comedian wear have on their reception? Are the reactions to some jokes correlated? (If a crowd liked Joke A it will likely enjoy joke B and hate joke C - but if it did not like joke A, then B will not work while joke C will do well.)

Performing stand up comedy can be looked at as a laboratory to experiment and learn a special set of social skills. The same could be said for other performance arts. It would not surprise me if many celebrities were on the spectrum.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

Colbey wrote:
It would not surprise me if many celebrities were on the spectrum.
It would not surprise me one bit either. In fact, sometimes I felt more protected on stage than in real life. It was like being on stage I was in a little shielded world that people who did not belong there could not penetrate. You pretty much know what is going to happen, of course things can go wrong but they are not usually that bad when they do. And in a situation where you perform the same concert or play over and over again, you know it so well you don't have to think about it. Even the little bit of film work that I did was easier to negotiate than real life can be, And you usually spend months rehearsing so you know exactly what to say and do at any given moment.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 7:16 pm

I see nothing wrong with Seinfeld saying he's on the Spectrum.

I think it will de-mystify Autism, and will, ultimately, make life easier in the world for people on the Spectrum.

Similar to how Rock Hudson's passing away of AIDS made AIDS into a "mainstream" disease, worthy of research.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 8:23 pm

gamerdad wrote:
I think it's a mistake to assume that people in the entertainment line of work are as socially competent as they appear on screen or stage. There's a big difference between reciting a rehearsed script and functioning in a real social environment. Someone on the spectrum could easily be successful at the former, but terrible at the latter.

I agree. In fact working off a script is almost the perfect type of work environment for some of us. It would be for me.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

Sometimes, I wonder how true Jerry Seinfeld's Asperger's really is. Did he get a diagnosis from a certified doctor or did he look up stuff on the internet? That's what raises my suspicions about this report.

Starwars1776
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2014, 5:46 pm

I'm sure he looks up symptoms on Wikipedia than mimics them