Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 9:52 pm

So... I need some help...

I'm a therapist for kids with intense behavioral needs. I'm very good at my job at my job and the students in my care have made considerable progress. My caseload is particularly intense and, because of the work that I've do e, I am very well respected. That, of course, is only part of being successful in a job.

I really struggle with the networking piece of professional life. Making personal connections and figuring out how to relate in a way that helps people to see me as a full person and not just an employee. I can talk incessantly about my job and topics directly related to it, but once it strays from this, I don't really know how to act or respond.

Does anyone have any thoughts or tips as to how I can improve this?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 9:30 pm

Ummm.... I'm not sure what kind of networking you mean. Do you mean "networking" as in socializing (personal); or, do you mean "networking" as in making contacts (business)? I don't see what the importance is, really (if you mean socializing). What difference does it make if people see you as "a full person"? It's that you're a good counselor that's important.

If you really think it's important, how 'bout if you just pay-attention to conversations to learn little things about your work-mates. Like, if you hear that someone's mother is sick, a few days later ask them how their mother is doing, etc. Keep your ears open to someone with which you have something in common----like TV shows, movies, books, whatever.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 9:54 pm

It seems as if the OP means the "professional-business" type of networking.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 8:07 am

My original fear was based in feeling disconnected from people who monitor and make decisions about advancement and that sometimes those decisions are also based on how the boss generally gets along with the person as much as thetir ability to do the job.

I still feel like this happens sometimes, but I may have been being paranoid since the program director had a really good talk with me the day after my op about my work and intentions to advance...

Although I'm less anxious, I still think it's important in my field to be seen for more than my job since people react as much to who I am (e.g. My personality) as what I do (e.g. my professional skillset).

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 9:57 am

NEtikiman wrote:
My original fear was based in feeling disconnected from people who monitor and make decisions about advancement and that sometimes those decisions are also based on how the boss generally gets along with the person as much as thetir ability to do the job.

I still feel like this happens sometimes, but I may have been being paranoid since the program director had a really good talk with me the day after my op about my work and intentions to advance...

Although I'm less anxious, I still think it's important in my field to be seen for more than my job since people react as much to who I am (e.g. My personality) as what I do (e.g. my professional skillset).

I think I know what you mean.

I never really clicked with the right people at my last company, and my potential there should've been much higher (transferring my skills from one site to a corporate level). ~shrugs~ Kinda stinks having to give up my tenure, but, my professional reputation outside of my company has always been pretty good, as me being fair and helpful and honest has always made me popular in my industry.

Oh, well, I left a written plan for anyone who comes after me. Maybe they'll have the right personality and be able to pull it off (centralizing the skillset would save millions across that company, just as I had done at my site).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 11:06 am

I want to say Hi to Daria.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 12:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I want to say Hi to Daria.

:D Morning!