Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

I fidget and move almost constantly, because if I don't, I can lose awareness of whole limbs.

For example, if I lay on my bed and read a book, if I don't wiggle my toes every 3 seconds or so, I will "forget" that I have feet.

I have lost awareness of existence of the bottom half of my body several times recently.

Does anyone else get this?

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

I am not much help because unfortunately, I am the exact opposite. I know where every part of my body is, at all times. I am constantly surveying to make sure that my clothes feel ok on my skin, that no one is close enough to touch me, etc. It's the main reason I can't wear jewelry-- feeling it on my skin drives me crazy (especially in the HOT summer months). Wonder what proprioception is caused by? Wiring?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 3:25 pm

I am extremely touch sensitive (will react violently to any touch). However I often walk into things and am clumsy. Bad combination because sometimes I end up bumping into people and when they put their hand on my shoulder to say sorry, I end up screaming and lashing out.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm

I used to be terrified of being touched. If someone might try, would immediately get very anxious - making sounds, jumping and handflapping.

It is difficult for me to sense where my body is, I constantly have my body scrunched up close, for deep pressure craving. When bumping into a wall corner, sometimes slamming into it.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 11:12 pm

Your signature says you have Schizophrenia. I don't think what you're describing is a proprioception issue. It sounds more like something Beneficii described when talking about Schizotypal traits. It was called a self-disorder or something like that? I think the forgetting you have feet is more related to Schizophrenia.

I have proprioception issues. I forget where things are and I bump into them. I forget how my weight is distributed and where my limbs are so I have terrible balance and I hit people by mistake all the time. Never once have I forgotten that parts of my body exist.

I always just assumed that proprioception deals with where things are. It doesn't deal with whether or not they exist. Maybe forgetting things exist is also proprioception and I'm totally wrong.

For me I forget where my limbs are but I never forget that they exist somewhere.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Your signature says you have Schizophrenia. I don't think what you're describing is a proprioception issue. It sounds more like something Beneficii described when talking about Schizotypal traits. It was called a self-disorder or something like that? I think the forgetting you have feet is more related to Schizophrenia.

I have proprioception issues. I forget where things are and I bump into them. I forget how my weight is distributed and where my limbs are so I have terrible balance and I hit people by mistake all the time. Never once have I forgotten that parts of my body exist.

I always just assumed that proprioception deals with where things are. It doesn't deal with whether or not they exist. Maybe forgetting things exist is also proprioception and I'm totally wrong.

For me I forget where my limbs are but I never forget that they exist somewhere.

Nevermind I'm totally wrong. Forgetting that your limbs exist could be a symptom of impaired proprioception.

Never listen to more than 10% of the things I say.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2014, 1:14 am

I hate that "Where's my arm?" feeling.

Not that it may be "sleeping" either

Its not that you have forgotten you have limbs, more like you know you have them but without looking, weight, pressure or actively moving them you cannot reliably identify where they might be at times.

I to bump into everything and people. I have broken all my toes more than once from jamming them into things. Chipped both my elbows, put a crease in the middle of my forehead with a cupboard door. Many many many bruises, bumps, cuts etc.... :roll:

I drive really well though. I may bash my head getting in the car, and not get my fingers in the door before I close it, but once in there, I am golden.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 4:28 am

I´ve actually "lost" my whole body a few times. I had to look down to be sure, where my feet landed, - but that was kind of extreme, I think. Sometimes it has happened in a mall, but it goes away the second, I get out.
AND...I have "lost" my body practicing guitar a few times. All my technical difficulties went as well...only to return, when I "connected" to my body again.

Quite interesting! Our repeated technical mistakes seems to be caused by a physical memory (one of the aspects, Stanislavskij included in his method).
As the reptile brain made it possible to play through those problematic pieces, in tempo, without mistakes as long as I was "disconnected" from my body, and since the old mistakes and the slow speed returned, when I felt my body again (even shifted focus), there must be other storage units for motor skills than the reptile brain.

Last edited by Jensen on 09 Nov 2014, 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

greengirl27
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2014, 12:58 pm

I had thought about starting a thread on this issue then spotted this one.

I certainly have problems associated with this. I tend to sit with my legs pulled up into my chest and/or tangled around each other. I also sit on my legs/feet a lot (am doing now) People often comment that I look uneasy and uncomfortable but I find it very comfortable to sit that way. As others have said, I can easily lose the sense of where my legs are otherwise. I also tend to be moving my toes most of the time.

When lying down to sleep I will also tend to wrap my legs around each other and wriggle my toes until I fall asleep. I need heavy bedding on top of me or I feel as if I'm floating above the mattress.

I have similar issues with my arms. I usually have one hand touching/holding another part of me and fidget a lot (not stimming although I do this too). When driving I often lose sense of my arms/hands on long motorway sections where they're mostly in one position.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 2:15 pm

I sometimes drop things randomly, just because I've forgotten that I was holding them. I'm not sure if it's entirely hyposensitive proprioception for me -- I'm fairly sure part of it is related to attention problems (paying attention to my body vs paying attention to other things -- being unable to do both.)

I don't think it's why I fidget and move a lot, though -- I do that because I'm hyperactive.

Love transcends all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 5:40 am

glad I'm not the only one :oops:

MerricMaker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2016, 1:53 pm

My son told us that when he wakes up in the night it feels like he's floating. My wife made him a weighted blanket. It has two baffles filled with polyfill beads, which gives just enough weight to reassure him about where he is.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm

^^^welcome to WP 8) I wonder if anybody else here likes wearing heavy clothing?

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 3:06 pm

^^Yup, I do. Much as I like the sunshine, and hate being hot and sweaty, I would still much rather be "layered up" with lots of clothes. I really like to wear tops with pockets in, so that I can put my hands in my pockets and push down really hard, to get the feeling of weight on my shoulders and torso - very relaxing, even though it looks like "stressed out" body language to other people.

And I'm very similar to previous posters when it comes to losing track of limbs, bumping into things, not being able to work out if I can stride far enough to clear a puddle, etc. When I'm making music, I often get so lost in it that I don't notice myself tying my feet in knots with my guitar lead, or hit myself in the face with a drumstick because I didn't know my head was in the way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm

^^^must be nice to have musical talent :wtg:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 4:14 pm

^^It is wonderful to be able to pick up an instrument and be able to take myself to a nicer place. Talent? Hmm, guess you'd have to ask some people that I've inflicted my noises on! :wink:
Actually, I think a lot of people get put off making music because they worry too much about the "talent" idea. When done purely for it's own pleasure, I don't find it any less satisfying because I can't play my bass as well as Jaco Pastorius, or drum like Buddie Rich. If the noise you make gives you pleasure, expresses how you feel, or gives a sense of relief, then IMHO you're a musician.