Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 3:23 pm

I DO like staying in hotels!! ! I have a little ritual, though, that I do upon entering the room. First, I take 2 fingers and get the bedspread off the bed----cuz God only knows what's on it----then, I kick it to a corner, somewhere. Then, I spray-down everything with Lysol, and wipe it off. (If I have flown there and, of course, you can't take aerosols on the plane, I buy some Lysol before I ever leave the airport----I don't care if it costs FIVE dollars, for a small can!! !) I'm not a HUGE Germaphobe----like, I'm not using Purell every 5 minutes----I just think I'm being realistic----and after I've seen all those segments on TV shows where they get-out a black-light in a hotel / motel room, my actions are justified!! ! Then, I wash my hands, and can relax!!

If a hotel has 24-hour room service, an indoor pool, cable TV, a coffee pot (and mini-fridge and microwave) in the room, and Wi-Fi, I could totally live there. If it also has a laundry room where I could wash my room's linens and towels, MYSELF----BONUS!! ! Once-a-year my aunt and uncle, and I used to go to Ocean City for a week, and we stayed in an efficiency (has a full kitchen), which was Ocean-FRONT, and in a hotel that was right on the beach----one of my ideas of HEAVEN!! !

I really like camping, though, cuz you have all your own stuff----and, if there's any germs, they're MY germs, so it doesn't matter!! LOL

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 8:05 pm

I love them too. My general policy is stay in the cheapest room in the best hotels rather than the best room in the cheapest hotels - circumstances permitting.

I've had some wonderful experiences. Years ago, I managed to stay in a very exclusive hotel in the best part of Paris because they let me rent one of the maids' room on the top story, after I explained that their cheapest room was beyond my means. They came up with this solution - and the maids even left free breakfast trays outside my door. I was only at the hotel to sleep - left it at dawn and returned late every night.
I hope things like that still happen for young travellers, these encounters with the kindness of strangers.

Another time I was staying in a standard room at a very upmarket hotel in Australia, they upgraded me to their presidential suite, free of charge, possibly because they knew a message had come of the death of a person very close to me.

The other really great experience was staying in a boutique hotel in Decatur Street, New Orleans. (The Chateau Du Pre). Apparently (I later discovered) it was right next door to a mafia HQ - though this was reassuring, the hotel staff said, because no-one dared to commit street crimes of any kind in that part of the street - it was the one part of New Orleans where that never happened.

Such good memories..

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 8:09 pm

I quite like hotels, there is a slight novelty about staying in them. Plus I love the breakfast, chocolate mini muffins and in American and Canadian ones you usually get waffle makers.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2014, 10:22 pm

Yes and no. I enjoy staying in a hotel if it's clean and has nice bedding. But I really prefer to sleep in my own bed. I wish I could transport my own bed to any hotel room in the world.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 12:15 am

I love staying in hotels. It's always a bit of an adventure! I especially enjoy it if they have a pool, as I love to swim but rarely get the chance.

Unfortunately, I almost never sleep well in hotels. The beds are unfamiliar and sometimes uncomfortable, and they always seem to have red light alarm clocks that keep me awake (mine at home has a green light that I find relaxing). The worst thing is that they rarely have fans, and I need white noise to sleep. What usually happens is that I start to drift to sleep while the air conditioner is on and making noise, but then I wake up when it abruptly stops. I usually travel with a small table fan if possible, especially if we will be staying longer than one night, and that helps a lot.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2014, 2:28 am

I love them when I'm by myself. I don't like it very much when I'm with other people.

AQ: 46

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 5:55 am

I've been on a hotel 3 vacations. First time I was 9 and was fine with it. The second two times I was in my 20's and was still fine with it, but also worried about hygiene. I brought anti-bacterial wipes and used on the toilet seat both times.

Now, with a news story concerning the cleanliness of Norwegian hotels in August fresh in mind, I would rather pass on that.

Warning! Really disgusting facts ahead: In 5 of the 9 Oslo-hotels tested they found semen ? on walls, chairs and nightstand. In the beds in almost all the hotels they found blood in duvets, pillows and mattresses. In several beds there were traces of urine. In addition they found pubic hairs, toe nails and boogers.

I never wanna stay in a hotel again.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 6:21 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Warning! Really disgusting facts ahead: In 5 of the 9 Oslo-hotels tested they found semen ? on walls, chairs and nightstand. In the beds in almost all the hotels they found blood in duvets, pillows and mattresses. In several beds there were traces of urine. In addition they found pubic hairs, toe nails and boogers. I never wanna stay in a hotel again.

why wasn't that baby batter directed to its rightful target instead of all over the place? and BLOOD?! what's THAT about? :eew:

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 8:36 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Warning! Really disgusting facts ahead: In 5 of the 9 Oslo-hotels tested they found semen ? on walls, chairs and nightstand. In the beds in almost all the hotels they found blood in duvets, pillows and mattresses. In several beds there were traces of urine. In addition they found pubic hairs, toe nails and boogers.

I never wanna stay in a hotel again.

Yuk! If Norwegians are that bad, I'm sure the rest of the world is the same or worse. Well, it's common knowledge that people tend to care far less about the hygiene of the things that don't belong to them.

Staying in a hotel or someone's house has always been uncomfortable for me because it's different from home. If I stay in the same hotel room for a few months, I might get used to it and become comfortable. Maybe not now that I know it would be full of semen, blood, urine and snot. Could there be s**t as well?

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2014, 10:25 am

I like the absence of clutter :)

I also like the open spaces, the company of other people, even if distant, and I like eating in the restaurant.

I don't normally watch TV, so it's interesting to channel surf for a bit.

Routine things that are a change of pace, but not so different as to be stressful, are also nice. Like taking a shower in a hotel, or "moving in" to a room and placing my few things in way more space than I need. Figuring out where to find something particular in this strange city. Renting a car. All nice to do every now and then, if I'm not rushed.

Mostly, I like the absence of clutter :)

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 10:38 am

Hotels are fun for a few days since its like a treat unless its a shabby hotel. I like that someone else cleans the room and love room service.

I don't think about germs in hotel rooms and this why I avoid shabby and run down hotels. I wash my hands and stay clean and that's good enough. Only had an experience with bed bugs one time and it seemed like a decent hotel and was there for a conference.

Have stayed in several hotels over the years so one bad experience is not bad. My favorite hotels are where the bed is very comfortable and has a nice comfortable comforter on the bed and there's a pool with jacuzzi, a gym and a business center with computers.

Last edited by Gazelle on 09 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

I don't mind. The only thing I get edgy about is if the people in the next room have their telly on loud (and well into the night), and all I can hear is murmuring of the telly. I try to let sounds soothe me when I'm falling asleep, but for some reason I really cannot stand the sound of a murmuring telly from another room. It drives me insane. So I have to remember to bring my earplugs next time I stay at a hotel.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 1:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
Warning! Really disgusting facts ahead: In 5 of the 9 Oslo-hotels tested they found semen ? on walls, chairs and nightstand. In the beds in almost all the hotels they found blood in duvets, pillows and mattresses. In several beds there were traces of urine. In addition they found pubic hairs, toe nails and boogers. I never wanna stay in a hotel again.

why wasn't that baby batter directed to its rightful target instead of all over the place? and BLOOD?! what's THAT about? :eew:

I know. It's just so disgusting! The blood might be from women in that time of month.

jk1 wrote:
Yuk! If Norwegians are that bad, I'm sure the rest of the world is the same or worse. Well, it's common knowledge that people tend to care far less about the hygiene of the things that don't belong to them.

Staying in a hotel or someone's house has always been uncomfortable for me because it's different from home. If I stay in the same hotel room for a few months, I might get used to it and become comfortable. Maybe not now that I know it would be full of semen, blood, urine and snot. Could there be s**t as well?

Unfortunately yes it might. The Norwegian test didn't mention it, but Conde Nast Traveler tested 3 hotels in New York City in 2007. They found e coli in a few places you wouldn't expect; on a chair and on the floor.

http://gadling.com/2007/03/08/whats-liv ... otel-room/

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2007- ... hotel-room

In connection with the Norwegian test, people were encouraged to bring antibacterial gel and use it put it on toilet paper to wipe off door handles, remote controls, light switches and phone.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

I'd rather be home because I have my own stuff to do there instead of being bored.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

I don't mind hotels, I've stayed in hotels all over the world, from 2 stars all the way up to the 5 stars ones (usually for work), the beds are often very comfortable and you always have a staff willing to please you. The only problem is I get very anxious the first day or two and don't sleep to well because it not my room, not my bed, then after a few days (usually 5) I start getting homesick and pray to get my own bed back, with it's unique smell, my own sheets and blanket, my own pillows...

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 12:34 am

I used to not mind so much, actually kind of fun if it had a pool. I needed the hotel to have a TV with my usual channels, that was my comfort requirement. Now a days I fear staying at them because of the increasing bed bug issues, yuck!! !