Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

gregsmom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Nov 2014, 8:06 pm

Does anyone else have trouble with their child being able to clean up
Themselves in the bathroom. My 10 yr old seems to have trouble lately. We tell him to wipe but he doesn't always do a good job.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 10:00 pm

I was a late learner :oops: :eew: it took my peers belittling my stench to get me to "clean up my act" so to speak. your son may benefit from a practical demonstration on a practical object meant to illustrate proper perianal hygiene, AKA an object lesson.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm

There are flushable wet wipes made for adults. This may help him get the done job a little more easily.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 8:44 am

Yep, wet wipes.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 9:51 am

I don't think they are truly flushable. I would be wary of them in new toilets, at the very least.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 11:24 am

We told DS not to flush more than one of them, and to throw any others in the bathroom wastebasket. I think one is generally enough, though.

zette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 1:05 pm

Wet wipes, a hand mirror, and very detailed instruction about how to wipe. Not sure how it would go over with a 10 year old, but when my son was 5 or 6 I was correcting him in detail as I watched him wipe. "Reach behind and wipe. Front to back. Good. Now check the paper to see if it's clean. Now check the mirror -- see that spot? Wipe deeper this time..." It took a few months for him to get good enough to go solo. We used to get clogged toilets regularly until we added a rule that after 4 wet wipes you need to flush. (Also installed new toilets that have wide pipes and very powerful flushes -- the previous ones got clogged just flushing poop and minimal normal paper.)

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2014, 6:54 pm

Nothing to add on topic (my boys are only 3), but a lot of the wet wipes aren't biodegradable, so from an environmental perspective, they're not the best. Also, a problem if you have a septic system ($$$$ to clean). They do make biodegradable ones, though, so it might be good to choose one of those brands if either of the above is a concern for you. Good luck!

zette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 7:08 pm

There is a difference between the "wet wipes" you use with babies in diapers and the flushable wipes for toddlers and adults. They should say "flushable" on the package. I think the water dept still doesn't like them, so I guess it depends how conscientious you are...

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2014, 7:13 pm

You're right, zette. A lot of the flushable ones still degrade really slowly, a problem for people with septic tanks (like me). If you're linked to the city/town sewage system, then it's their problem and you can decide how much you care. :) But, I've heard horror stories from fellow home owners whose waste is disposed of by tank. It's a situation best avoided.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 7:28 pm

zette wrote:
Wet wipes, a hand mirror, and very detailed instruction about how to wipe. Not sure how it would go over with a 10 year old, but when my son was 5 or 6 I was correcting him in detail as I watched him wipe. "Reach behind and wipe. Front to back. Good. Now check the paper to see if it's clean. Now check the mirror -- see that spot? Wipe deeper this time..." It took a few months for him to get good enough to go solo. We used to get clogged toilets regularly until we added a rule that after 4 wet wipes you need to flush. (Also installed new toilets that have wide pipes and very powerful flushes -- the previous ones got clogged just flushing poop and minimal normal paper.)

can you tell me what brand and make of toilet has this high power?

zette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
zette wrote:

It's Kohler, and we got it at Lowe's. Inside the tank it says UPC K4421, but I don't know if that is a model number or not.

DS used to manage to clog the toilet on a regular basis, I think the new ones have only clogged twice in the year we've had them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 5:11 pm

zette wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
zette wrote:

It's Kohler, and we got it at Lowe's. Inside the tank it says UPC K4421, but I don't know if that is a model number or not.

DS used to manage to clog the toilet on a regular basis, I think the new ones have only clogged twice in the year we've had them.

maybe when I get my income tax refund back I should consider it. I have one of those 5.5 gallon prehistoric toilets, and it is long in the tooth and not flushing especially well. it is exceptionally quiet, though- do the new toilets like your make a lot of noise? I know if I put one of those institutional "superflush" toilets in my place it would wake the neighbors in houses next to me!