Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cintakmarka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 50
Location: Long Island, NY

09 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

Looking to chat with other Aspie vegans. Hoping to find others who are like myself as for the care of themselves, animals, nature, health, and so on.



Tesla1856
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 196
Location: Γαία

10 Nov 2014, 3:41 am

Is vegetarian also okay?



voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 226
Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

10 Nov 2014, 11:05 am

I've been vegan at times, tend to eat lacto- ovo- vegetarian, but with animal welfare concerns, meaning I want to only support producers who treat their animals with the utmost respect. I don't even like to use the word "humane" because the things that "humane-s" are doing to the animals to support the market demand for meat is fiendish. I watch some of the videos that Mercy for Animals has made and don't understand how people can watch things like this and there not be a more sweeping response.



noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 203

12 Nov 2014, 12:02 pm

I was vegan for a few years because I care about animals. It felt good. I started eating meat again about a year ago. I just found that I couldn't find much to eat when out with friends or family because I hate cheese and most other forms of food which contain dairy. I still only buy "vegan" food for myself at home. I feel that I am at least supporting companies who produce meat substitutes. I saw faces of death when I was in 4th grade. None of my friends (at the time) were bothered by the factory farm footage. It haunted me. I started the vegan thing around the age 30, which was several years ago.



Ohdannyboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2014
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 52
Location: Somewhere in Wisconsin

10 Dec 2014, 1:47 am

...I'm vegetarian



bungleton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2014
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 247

15 Dec 2014, 7:26 am

Straight up Aspie vegan stylee right here

...err, as in to say, yes. But I'm not militant about it. Everyone has their right to choice and I think that balance is needed. If the meat industry were abolished tomorrow we'd simply end up with billions of displaced animals that would either die or wreak havoc on the countryside. But plants are delicious all the same :D


_________________
How did I get here tonight? What am I doing here?
How did I reach this state? How did I lose my sight?
I'm lost! I'm freaking! And everybody knows!
Everyone's watching!
So here... Are my hopes and aspirations
Nothing but puke
God, I'm so loooooonelaaaaaaayyyy
*power stance, air guitar*


antfarm
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
Location: California

02 Feb 2015, 12:20 am

Another Aspie Vegan here. Although, recently I've added eggs from our own flock to my diet after some nutritional concerns due to my other related eating issues. Outside of the house I'm completely vegan. I've been back and forth between veggie and non for years, but I have so many dietary restrictions already it was easy to transition to vegan. It does however follow the rest of my life views anyway.



noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 203

02 Feb 2015, 10:28 pm

I stopped eating meat again. I haven't since Jan. 5th..

I figured eating meat at restaurants b/c there's nothing else (I hate dairy) is a sorry excuse for going against my beliefs.

If friends and family are down on you b/c you won't eat like they do, then just don't bother eating with them.

I've also started selling and giving away all of my animal product based stuff.

Mostly leather items.

It's not about pride for me. It's about living with myself.


_________________
"IT'LL FEEL BETTER WHEN IT QUITS HURTING." - My Grandpa (R.I.P.)


noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 203

03 Feb 2015, 2:52 am

If you need a quick way to make the connection between cow flesh and meat, here's it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3fRKGD2GW0

The lyrics bring tears to my eyes because it's true. I've read too many accounts and affidavits to discount.

If you're interested in meticulously cited references of what goes on behind the scenes, read THE WORLD PEACE DIET.

I'm a hypocrite. I'll admit it. But I'm trying.


_________________
"IT'LL FEEL BETTER WHEN IT QUITS HURTING." - My Grandpa (R.I.P.)


noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 203

03 Feb 2015, 2:59 am

OK

Listening again and actually crying for what I know goes on in this world. FOR REAL.


_________________
"IT'LL FEEL BETTER WHEN IT QUITS HURTING." - My Grandpa (R.I.P.)


OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,447
Location: About 50 miles past the middle of nowhere

05 Feb 2015, 12:03 am

noodler wrote:
I stopped eating meat again. I haven't since Jan. 5th..

I figured eating meat at restaurants b/c there's nothing else (I hate dairy) is a sorry excuse for going against my beliefs.

If friends and family are down on you b/c you won't eat like they do, then just don't bother eating with them.

I've also started selling and giving away all of my animal product based stuff.

Mostly leather items.

It's not about pride for me. It's about living with myself.


What kind of items are you talking about? I might be interested. Let me know what you have that you want to sell or give away please.


_________________
I'm giving it another shot. We will see.
My forum is still there and everyone is welcome to come join as well. There is a private women only subforum there if anyone is interested. Also, there is no CAPTCHA. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com


OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,447
Location: About 50 miles past the middle of nowhere

05 Feb 2015, 12:14 am

I'm not vegan or vegetarian at all, but I'm also not one of those people who say that you have to have meat at every meal, or even that you have to have meat to be healthy. I love vegetables, and although the way I cook them isn't the healthiest and with beans and peas it's not even vegetarian because I put fatback in with them and also a potato and onion when I boil them, I really could eat mostly vegetables and be happy.

Growing up we ate lots of vegetables in the summer and I really miss that now, because my husband and family don't really like many of them so I'm limited to potatoes, green beans, corn and a couple of the kids will eat English peas, butterbeans, black eyed peas and my daughter will eat squash and okra. I'll eat all that, but there's no use cooking a big vegetable meal if I'm the only one who will eat it.

I've worked at a vegetarian restaurant/health food store for about a year or so and the food was pretty good. I've got a few recipes from there that I still use sometimes. I actually liked some of the tofu dishes as well, but I think it's mainly the texture I like with it. I like the firm tofu.

I also got into the whole animal rights thing for a couple of years in my early 20's, but I didn't really keep it up and never could be vegetarian even though I did try. I was basically anti hunting and fur but as you know, that didn't last long either. I have been thinking about cutting out meat for a while myself, because I've read that it helps you think much more clearly and with all the stress going on right now in my life, maybe it would help. I need to do some research on that though, because it would cost more for groceries to cook something different for myself than what I cook for the rest of my family and I want to make sure it's worth the cost.


_________________
I'm giving it another shot. We will see.
My forum is still there and everyone is welcome to come join as well. There is a private women only subforum there if anyone is interested. Also, there is no CAPTCHA. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com


noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 203

05 Feb 2015, 12:18 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
noodler wrote:
I stopped eating meat again. I haven't since Jan. 5th..

I figured eating meat at restaurants b/c there's nothing else (I hate dairy) is a sorry excuse for going against my beliefs.

If friends and family are down on you b/c you won't eat like they do, then just don't bother eating with them.

I've also started selling and giving away all of my animal product based stuff.

Mostly leather items.

It's not about pride for me. It's about living with myself.


What kind of items are you talking about? I might be interested. Let me know what you have that you want to sell or give away please.


I'm selling yellow Doc Martins (I wore seldom b/c they were too big), Reebok's, a leather jacket (that I've only worn a couple of times). A pair of Nike ACG's I got back in '98 (and only wore a few times b/c they hurt). I'm selling this stuff on ebay. However, I have some leather belts I plan on donating. You're welcome to those for free. Recycling this stuff should help reduce the demand on new animal products.


_________________
"IT'LL FEEL BETTER WHEN IT QUITS HURTING." - My Grandpa (R.I.P.)


noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 203

05 Feb 2015, 12:27 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I'm not vegan or vegetarian at all, but I'm also not one of those people who say that you have to have meat at every meal, or even that you have to have meat to be healthy. I love vegetables, and although the way I cook them isn't the healthiest and with beans and peas it's not even vegetarian because I put fatback in with them and also a potato and onion when I boil them, I really could eat mostly vegetables and be happy.

Growing up we ate lots of vegetables in the summer and I really miss that now, because my husband and family don't really like many of them so I'm limited to potatoes, green beans, corn and a couple of the kids will eat English peas, butterbeans, black eyed peas and my daughter will eat squash and okra. I'll eat all that, but there's no use cooking a big vegetable meal if I'm the only one who will eat it.

I've worked at a vegetarian restaurant/health food store for about a year or so and the food was pretty good. I've got a few recipes from there that I still use sometimes. I actually liked some of the tofu dishes as well, but I think it's mainly the texture I like with it. I like the firm tofu.

I also got into the whole animal rights thing for a couple of years in my early 20's, but I didn't really keep it up and never could be vegetarian even though I did try. I was basically anti hunting and fur but as you know, that didn't last long either. I have been thinking about cutting out meat for a while myself, because I've read that it helps you think much more clearly and with all the stress going on right now in my life, maybe it would help. I need to do some research on that though, because it would cost more for groceries to cook something different for myself than what I cook for the rest of my family and I want to make sure it's worth the cost.


You should do what's best for yourself. However, I will say that when I went vegan for about three straight years, my friends said I looked younger than ever (since high school). Produce is great for health and loosing weight (and feeling healthy). I've heard protein is not as important as promoted. Especially for men. For women, I think protein is more important (Osteoporosis). I get protein from soy. There's plenty in there to make up for meat.


_________________
"IT'LL FEEL BETTER WHEN IT QUITS HURTING." - My Grandpa (R.I.P.)


OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2011
Age: 57
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,447
Location: About 50 miles past the middle of nowhere

05 Feb 2015, 1:11 am

Whats the jacket like and what size are the Doc Martins? I've never done anything with ebay so I don't know anything about it.

As fir the diet thing, I could do with looking younger, but my weight is fine. I'm ok with my body and I've never been overweight or anything like that, so just the clarity thing that I'm interested in. I wouldn't mind switching the whole family to a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet because it would be a lot cheaper!

I do crave meat at certain times, like right now I have been on this kick where I've been wanting only this particular sausage. Zeigler Old Plantation Style Smoked Sausage. It's a Southern version of keilbasa and I slice it and bake it in the oven. I don't want anything else with it, just that. I've also been wanting a filet cooked on the grill and I'm going to get that tomorrow or the next day, but usually I don't much care either away whether I have meat or not. Vegetables and carbs are usually what I crave. Since I've been in menopause I've started craving foods again like when I was pregnant, but I'll go with it lol.

My older daughter who is in culinary school is always eager to try different foods and she will eat a lot of the vegetable dishes that I want but the rest of my family isn't that easy to feed. Usually meals here are a meat, a starch, and maybe a vegetable, unless it's a pasta dish then it's just meat, pasta, sauce and cheese. All that is good but it gets old when you have maybe only 20 or 25 different things you can cook that your family will like.


_________________
I'm giving it another shot. We will see.
My forum is still there and everyone is welcome to come join as well. There is a private women only subforum there if anyone is interested. Also, there is no CAPTCHA. ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com


noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 203

06 Feb 2015, 7:43 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Whats the jacket like and what size are the Doc Martins? I've never done anything with ebay so I don't know anything about it.

As fir the diet thing, I could do with looking younger, but my weight is fine. I'm ok with my body and I've never been overweight or anything like that, so just the clarity thing that I'm interested in. I wouldn't mind switching the whole family to a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet because it would be a lot cheaper!

I do crave meat at certain times, like right now I have been on this kick where I've been wanting only this particular sausage. Zeigler Old Plantation Style Smoked Sausage. It's a Southern version of keilbasa and I slice it and bake it in the oven. I don't want anything else with it, just that. I've also been wanting a filet cooked on the grill and I'm going to get that tomorrow or the next day, but usually I don't much care either away whether I have meat or not. Vegetables and carbs are usually what I crave. Since I've been in menopause I've started craving foods again like when I was pregnant, but I'll go with it lol.

My older daughter who is in culinary school is always eager to try different foods and she will eat a lot of the vegetable dishes that I want but the rest of my family isn't that easy to feed. Usually meals here are a meat, a starch, and maybe a vegetable, unless it's a pasta dish then it's just meat, pasta, sauce and cheese. All that is good but it gets old when you have maybe only 20 or 25 different things you can cook that your family will like.


I crave meat too. They say that to watch and experience what goes on behind the scenes will mess that up. It does. It does for me. But I have to keep reminding myself of what's going on or I lose the connection. I'm totally addicted to meat. For me, abstaining from meat is like trying not to smoke or drink. I find it easier to not eat meat than to not drink or smoke. I guess it's b/c when I look at what's being done to others in order for me to enjoy their flesh, I feel too guilty to indulge in it. Drinking and smoking is only going to harm myself. And that's my decision. And I get pleasure from it. So it's not as black and white to me.

My Doc's are huge. I normally wear 10.5's in gym shoes, and they're so big they gave me blisters on my heals. The jacket is size medium and is like new. If I were rich, I'd just donate the stuff. But, I'm not. I need the money to pay for surgeries I still owe my parents for (for my late companion, LADY (R.I.P.)).


_________________
"IT'LL FEEL BETTER WHEN IT QUITS HURTING." - My Grandpa (R.I.P.)