Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 4:42 am

It's not "the worst article ever" to me, I have read far worse - sick dehumanising stuff that references us as hopeless, diseased, unfeeling like psychopaths, incapable of emotional responses, unable to perceive beyond ourselves, and dependent waste-of-spaces.

If this article was the worst they could do, we would be much further toward acceptance than we are.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 5:16 am

Lindsey1151 wrote:
http://www.ageofautism.com/2014/11/screw-you-jerry-seinfeld-autistic.html

I disagree with her in so many fundamental ways but in fairness in the article she wrote a week earlier http://adventuresinautism.blogspot.com/ ... -suit.html she wrote
"Repeating... Autism is a crappy, narrow, barely useful diagnosis based on 70 year old, outdated information and ONLY on... say it with me.... OBSERVABLE BEHAVIORS!

Put 20 kids with an ?Autism? diagnosis in a room and you are going to get 20 different sets of associated medical conditions, educational struggles and (insert almost everything else about a child)

We need to stop thinking of Autism as a disorder.. it isn't. It is a symptom set. It is like a fever, and caused by many different things. Do I need to even insert the list in here?"
Even in the article posted above she called Autism, a DSM defined disorder

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 7:47 am

Quote:
Just days after my little rant reminding people that autism is, by definition, a social/communication/behavioral impairment and dysfunction... which means that it gets in the way of functioning... which means it makes it difficult for people to operate functionally in our society... which means that things like success in gainful employment and working relationships are very difficult to come by... Jerry Seinfeld has announced to the world that he fits that bill.

Except he is the opposite of that.

The author didn't read or heard what spectrum is... Really, the author SHOULD really know what a spectrum is, what the phrase of "if you meet one autistic, you meet one autistic". And that, if the author is a parent, his/her autistic child isn't the ONLY one. And if not so, the author must know that the low-functioning ones are not the only ones that exists; or 'suffering' or needed help.
The author ignores the part where neurodiversity is; and ignores the fact that one cannot 'catch' or 'develop' or 'prevent' or let alone 'cure', but only can be BORN to be within the spectrum. It's not man made either; otherwise certain NTs (who are funnily crazy enough to be wanted within the spectrum; would shoot their heads right now so they can 'catch it'; which I doubt there will be but lol, it's possible there's NTs like that)

Quote:
Autism is an actual DISORDER that makes the lives of people with it and those who love them very, very difficult.

Autism isn't all about not able to talk or socialize at all. It's not all about stimming in public, and meltdowns. The author thinks it's that way. The author doesn't know caretakers or NTs are not the only ones who are 'dealing' with hardships. The author doesn't know what people on the spectrum are dealing with at all, especially from the higher functioning of the spectrum. (Well, in truth, most NTs don't really know...)
The author didn't really knew that high-functioning ones or those who hides the 'symptom' didn't had it 'easy'-- or even existed??? Because the ones on the spectrum is too high functioning for their pity and 'support' therefore they judge them for having an excuse claiming being in the spectrum?
The author doesn't know that not all high-functioning ones on the spectrum had it easy; because they are blatantly being ignored and harassed by the likes of them!~ They don't help at all.

And voice? Really?? Unless the author along with the parents supporting his/her article are IN the spectrum themselves... PLEASE....... Those are the voices of PARENTS and CARETAKERS of most of the lower functioning side of the spectrum, not the autistic themselves. lol. The voice the author is supporting is mostly pity, and discrimination towards high-functioning ones from the spectrum.

I don't really know who Sienfield is... :? Regardless the fame of someone declaring who's on the spectrum, I don't care/mind. (Unless this person WILL be living right next to me, but I highly doubt so :lol: )

Lastly, worst article ever? Not. Not at all... :twisted: I've seen worse topics regarding to the spectrum... Whether it involves the spectrum or not, there's much worse than that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2014, 10:02 am

The author of the article needs to realize that autism comes in all shapes forms and sizes!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 10:27 am

On the one hand she wants to use the 1 in 68 stat to make her autpocalypse sound more dire, and on the other hand she wants to reject an autism label for anyone who isn't smearing poo on the wall.

And of course, she blames the murders by parents on the victims and on the idea of neurodiversity, too.

This lady has worked herself into a delusional state and thinks her passionate intensity makes it OK to treat people badly. It is despicable.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 10:55 am

Adamantium wrote:
On the one hand she wants to use the 1 in 68 stat to make her autpocalypse sound more dire, and on the other hand she wants to reject an autism label for anyone who isn't smearing poo on the wall.

That's the hypocrisy you'll see form lots of curebies

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm

Adamantium wrote:

Smearing poo on the wall? Some NT kids do it too, mine did. One time I made him clean it up and he thought it was gross and I told him that is what I have to do when he does it, clean it up so it's his mess, he cleans it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:19 pm

dianthus wrote:
From the article:

That reminds me... do you remember that hilarious episode where Jerry walked around his apartment on his tiptoes while flapping, wiped his poop on the wall, got lost for three days in Manhattan, was tortured by bullies and then had a seizure? Me neither.

It's just plain ridiculous for the author to suggest that "actual autism" has to be like that for everyone.

It seems to me that the clueless authour can't see past the tip of her nose.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2014, 10:30 pm

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
I watched Modern Family the other day (it's a sitcom for those who aren't familiar) and at one point at a college tour, this geeky teenage boy says to Alex (geeky female character), "I have Asperger's"...then "I actually don't. I just said that so you'd think I was interesting". (Episode was called "Don't Push"). I think that comment says something about society on multiple levels, in terms of people not taking it seriously..and it kinda sorta reminded me of this in a way......... take from that what you will.

Yeah, that annoyed me. That might be how a girl might perceive Aspergers by the title, but it's certainly not how they perceive the actual syndrome when they see it face to face. And it also annoyed me that he said "a touch of Aspergers." If you have a "touch" of any disorder, you're not going to get diagnosed.

AQ: 46

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 2:32 am

MadHatterMatador wrote:
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
I watched Modern Family the other day (it's a sitcom for those who aren't familiar) and at one point at a college tour, this geeky teenage boy says to Alex (geeky female character), "I have Asperger's"...then "I actually don't. I just said that so you'd think I was interesting". (Episode was called "Don't Push"). I think that comment says something about society on multiple levels, in terms of people not taking it seriously..and it kinda sorta reminded me of this in a way......... take from that what you will.

Yeah, that annoyed me. That might be how a girl might perceive Aspergers by the title, but it's certainly not how they perceive the actual syndrome when they see it face to face. And it also annoyed me that he said "a touch of Aspergers." If you have a "touch" of any disorder, you're not going to get diagnosed.

The comment says that there are a load of people that think that way about people identity as Aspie. I do not have to watch Modern Family to see that. There was a period of time here that thankfully ended recently where posters day after day said the that saying they disowned the Aspie/Asperger label because were loads of people labeling themselves Aspie to be cool, make excuses, or not be associated with LFA. It was awful.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Nov 2014, 6:32 am

What really gets me when it comes to the Anti-Vaccines Warrior Parents are that they don't consider HFA/AS to be truly Autistic, but at the same time they love to use us in their fear-mongering statistics. Without us there's no "epidemic".

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2014, 8:27 am

So, what, you're not "really" autistic if you can cope? The second you develop masking and coping skills, you don't count as autistic? It's a spectrum, eejits, and some of us have more trouble functioning than others.

Quote:
That reminds me... do you remember that hilarious episode where Jerry walked around his apartment on his tiptoes while flapping, wiped his poop on the wall, got lost for three days in Manhattan, was tortured by bullies and then had a seizure? Me neither.

A) Not all of us stim that way, and maybe Seinfeld does in private. It's possible. I'm diagnosed, and I barely stim. I do an odd variant of hand-wringing when I'm upset, but that's pretty much all.
B) What the heck. Not all of us wipe poo on the wall. It's a spectrum, and people can be autistic all over it, and not all autistics are severe, and not all severe autistics wipe poop.
C) Again, some of us have the coping skills to deal with that. I'd go find a police officer and ask for help. We're not all the same as one kid in one horror story.
D) We do often get bullied. It's not an intrinsic part of autism, though, and to my knowledge it often gets better in adulthood.
E) Seizures are also not an intrinsic part of autism. Do some research.
F) Autistic people are fully capable of playing neurotypical characters (heck, many of us do it every day of our lives), just as Stephen Colbert is a liberal who plays an ultra-conservative. Even if Seinfeld, out of character, would get lost in NYC, that doesn't mean his character has to.
G) Thanks for completely erasing every good thing about autism and the very possibility of an autistic person having good qualities and experiences! I always wanted a complex, misunderstood condition to be reduced to two irrelevant things and three non-applicable-to-most-cases things!

You're complaining that people aren't giving a skewed portrayal of autism. You're complaining that autistic people can function. You're complaining that we don't reduce the broad spectrum of autism to its absolute most severe.
Screw you, Age of Autism.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 9:47 am

Greenhat wrote:
So, what, you're not "really" autistic if you can cope? The second you develop masking and coping skills, you don't count as autistic?

That is pretty much what my diagnostician said to me: "Congratulations! [Your masking and adapting skills] must have cured you of your AS characteristics."

I didn't know that neurological disorders could be cured, but, ummm, okaaaay. :|

In truth, the new DSM-5 suggests exactly this kind of diagnostic consideration because it expects to find "deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts" (which tend to get obfuscated with more than 50 years of experience in masking and adapting). Shifting diagnoses from neurological evidence (regardless of its masked or adapted nature) to observational evidence (with its abundant masking and adapting) is just one of the major mistakes the DSM-5 has given us (especially among adults with lifelong autodidactic abilities to mask and adapt).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 6:06 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Greenhat wrote:
So, what, you're not "really" autistic if you can cope? The second you develop masking and coping skills, you don't count as autistic?

That is pretty much what my diagnostician said to me: "Congratulations! [Your masking and adapting skills] must have cured you of your AS characteristics."

I didn't know that neurological disorders could be cured, but, ummm, okaaaay. :|

In truth, the new DSM-5 suggests exactly this kind of diagnostic consideration because it expects to find "deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts" (which tend to get obfuscated with more than 50 years of experience in masking and adapting). Shifting diagnoses from neurological evidence (regardless of its masked or adapted nature) to observational evidence (with its abundant masking and adapting) is just one of the major mistakes the DSM-5 has given us (especially among adults with lifelong autodidactic abilities to mask and adapt).

The buzz word these days in these type of groups is not cure but "recovering" their autistic children. As backword as your diagnostician is at least giving you credit for your effort, with these groups it is some sort of diet or treatment that they discovered despite some vast conspiracy to prevent them from finding out.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 11:38 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The buzz word these days in these type of groups is not cure but "recovering" their autistic children. As backword as your diagnostician is at least giving you credit for your effort, with these groups it is some sort of diet or treatment that they discovered despite some vast conspiracy to prevent them from finding out.

I try to eat healthy and enjoy certain supplements in my regimen, and I recognize that such autistic-recovery diets might do some good. But, I recognize that AS and other ASDs are neurological, and, therefore, are very difficult, if not impossible, to repair, cure, recover, whatever. Improvement, maybe yes. But, not reconfigure. Not in my opinion, at least.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 12:15 pm

One of the key life skills to acquire is distinguishing reason from the crazy s***.