Hearing device for Asperger's or high functioning Autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Primo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 2

13 Nov 2014, 6:25 pm

I am in the process of getting diagnosed for some kind of high functioning autism and am 30 years old. Is there a hearing device that would help with ringing in ears and ultimately help with balance when walking and standing? It's hard for me to walk comfortably and I have a hissing and ringing in my left ear. I hop when I walk and as I put my foot down tend to wobble. I also hold my head crooked most of the time and have a hard time keeping it level.😳



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,235
Location: the island of defective toy santas

14 Nov 2014, 1:18 am

welcome to our club 8) have you been seen by a doc for this inner ear condition?



Primo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 2

14 Nov 2014, 9:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
welcome to our club 8) have you been seen by a doc for this inner ear condition?
. After doing some more research I think that I might have an acoustic neuroma. The symptoms are quite similar to having aspergers(not being able to look people in the eye and trouble with swinging arms.). So I'm making an appt with my ENT doc today.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,599
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Nov 2014, 2:27 pm

I remember seeing an advertizement on TV of a med for ringing in the ears. I forget the name of it thou but perhaps it or another one would help with it.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill


Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,420
Location: in my brain

17 Nov 2014, 9:47 pm

I've heard of low-dose (like 10mg) amitriptyline being used for tinitus. I take it at a high dose for other reasons and it seems to be causing it. Go figure. Old drug, though -- maybe there are newer, better ones.

Does fixing tinitus fix balance problems? I use a cane for dizziness/vertigo (and now some joint issues) and it did start at the same time as the tinitus.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,235
Location: the island of defective toy santas

17 Nov 2014, 9:49 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I've heard of low-dose (like 10mg) amitriptyline being used for tinitus. I take it at a high dose for other reasons and it seems to be causing it. Go figure. Old drug, though -- maybe there are newer, better ones. Does fixing tinitus fix balance problems? I use a cane for dizziness/vertigo (and now some joint issues) and it did start at the same time as the tinitus.

dumb question but I have to ask it- have you had an inner ear exam?



Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,420
Location: in my brain

17 Nov 2014, 11:24 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I've heard of low-dose (like 10mg) amitriptyline being used for tinitus. I take it at a high dose for other reasons and it seems to be causing it. Go figure. Old drug, though -- maybe there are newer, better ones. Does fixing tinitus fix balance problems? I use a cane for dizziness/vertigo (and now some joint issues) and it did start at the same time as the tinitus.

dumb question but I have to ask it- have you had an inner ear exam?

Not sure -- there was only a test involving laying back and turning my head quickly.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,235
Location: the island of defective toy santas

17 Nov 2014, 11:31 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I've heard of low-dose (like 10mg) amitriptyline being used for tinitus. I take it at a high dose for other reasons and it seems to be causing it. Go figure. Old drug, though -- maybe there are newer, better ones. Does fixing tinitus fix balance problems? I use a cane for dizziness/vertigo (and now some joint issues) and it did start at the same time as the tinitus.

dumb question but I have to ask it- have you had an inner ear exam?

Not sure -- there was only a test involving laying back and turning my head quickly.

what conclusion was drawn from the test? in terms of a disease you could point at.



Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,420
Location: in my brain

17 Nov 2014, 11:54 pm

Just "benign postural positional vertigo." So, no particular mechanism that I know of except for vaguely messed up vestibular function. Overall, the doctor didn't seem too concerned. He didn't seem to think the amitrip. was causing it, but I'm not sure (and BPPV is supposed episodic, but it's ever-present).



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,235
Location: the island of defective toy santas

17 Nov 2014, 11:56 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Just "benign postural positional vertigo." So, no particular mechanism that I know of except for vaguely messed up vestibular function. Overall, the doctor didn't seem too concerned. He didn't seem to think the amitrip. was causing it, but I'm not sure (and BPPV is supposed episodic, but it's ever-present).

did he give you routine prophylactic exercises you should do daily?



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,599
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Nov 2014, 11:59 pm

I don't want to derail this thread too much but I sometimes have ringing in my ears if I wake up after only a couple hours to use the bathroom. One of the meds I take before bed can lower blood-pressure & supposed to make me tired but I think that effect may of worn off. Could that be it?


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,235
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Nov 2014, 12:01 am

nick007 wrote:
I don't want to derail this thread too much but I sometimes have ringing in my ears if I wake up after only a couple hours to use the bathroom. One of the meds I take before bed can lower blood-pressure & supposed to make me tired but I think that effect may of worn off. Could that be it?

that sometimes happens to me also, in addition to "browning out" to the point where I have to have a bedside potty now. beta blockers have been implicated in this.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,599
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Nov 2014, 12:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I don't want to derail this thread too much but I sometimes have ringing in my ears if I wake up after only a couple hours to use the bathroom. One of the meds I take before bed can lower blood-pressure & supposed to make me tired but I think that effect may of worn off. Could that be it?

that sometimes happens to me also, in addition to "browning out" to the point where I have to have a bedside potty now. beta blockers have been implicated in this.
The med I take is Trazodone which is an antidepressant that can help with sleep so that would make sense. It happened last night & I had a constant ringing till I fell asleep. At least I know it s nothing I should need to worry about.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill


Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 May 2008
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,420
Location: in my brain

18 Nov 2014, 12:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
did he give you routine prophylactic exercises you should do daily?

Yeah, after a few months, but they didn't help. I haven't been back in a long time due to $$ issues, so I don't know what else he had in mind.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 97,235
Location: the island of defective toy santas

18 Nov 2014, 12:09 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
did he give you routine prophylactic exercises you should do daily?

Yeah, after a few months, but they didn't help. I haven't been back in a long time due to $$ issues, so I don't know what else he had in mind.

well I hope that you have been able to get better medical coverage since then. :)



jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,276

18 Nov 2014, 9:50 am

I were pelter headphones


_________________
Your Aspie score: 192 of 200 Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 9 of 200 You are very likely an Aspie PDD assessment score= 172 (severe PDD)
Autism= Awesome, unique ,Special, talented, Intelligent, Smart and Mysterious