Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 9:35 pm

I still do this to this very day.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 9:40 pm

Yes I had to eat foods separately as a child, and couldn't stand anything where all the flavours were "mixed up" (shepherd's pie, for example).

I love foods like that now, but it's taken a long while!

School dinners were a constant source of trauma.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2020, 4:24 am

I'm big about keeping my food separate. I hate it on frozen dinners when peas and potatoes get mixed up with the meat, Yuck.

Sometimes I'll eat backwards, like say I'll eat the chicken breast first, then the green beans, then the potato, and last the salad. ha ha .

I've gotten much better about vegetables, fruit can run hot and cold. I do like pineapple and honeydew when its in season.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 10:36 am

Yes, I still do this when I eat. I do not like mixing my food together before I eat it. Every time I see a KFC mixed bowl being advertised, I throw up in my mouth a little bit. I do not eat meat in a salad, as it does not belong there in my mind. A salad is supposed to be comprised of vegetables or fruits only. I was an extremely picky eater when I was young and I am still picky with my food.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 11:14 am

I don't know if I ate things separately when I was a child. That was an awfully long time ago. But my bride has asked me why I eat that way now.

If some bits of different things get a little jumbled I try to extricate the stray bits so I can eat them in proper sequence.

I can rationalize, a bit. It means less time spent adjusting my grip on the utensils.

I do tend to save the best for last. Deferred gratification.

If the meal is something that is inherently and decisively intermingled I tend to methodically work from one side and work my way across.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 12:08 pm

I have always done this, and still do. I also do things like eat sauce on its own and the pasta separately, instead of putting the sauce on top of the pasta. If things are mixed together in a dish, I usually pick out each ingredient and eat them separately, for example if given a stir fry I will pick out and eat all the meat, then all the vegetables, and then eat the rice.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2020, 8:30 am

Nope, another mixer here. I like a combination of textures and flavors at the same time. I have some sensory sensitivities with light and sound and somewhat with touch, but with taste I am as far to the opposite as possible. Smell, too, now that I think about it, but those are stories for another time, lol... I love bold flavors and interesting textures, and my bowl is a crazy mix that would look disgusting to some and culinarily criminal to others, but I enjoy it.
That being said, when I was young, like 4-5, I believed that I had to eat each thing on my plate in turn, in a counterclockwise direction. I didn't know it was "counterclockwise" at the time, but I have clear memories of it. I can still remember doing it, and thinking (I remember the thought) that I had to do it because otherwise the fairies would be mad at me. Which is strange, as "fairies" weren't really talked about by my parents or grandparents or anyone else. I also remember the strong belief that I wasn't allowed to tell anyone that, though I'm pretty sure it's okay now. Statute of limitations and all that...