Page 5 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm

TechnicallyCalm wrote:
I also have preferences about the order in which I eat things. Also, there are certain foods that I will not eat together. For example, I will never have a glass of milk while eating an apple - one of the grossest tastes I have ever tasted.

I am extremely picky about cold cereal - I will only eat cereal that doesn't get soggy (and that's not too many types.)

I think those are probably normal feelings. You have probably got to have a weird taste to want soggy cereal. And you probably just don't like the taste of apples and milk. I probably wouldn't either. But I like apples with ketchup, carrots too, especially carrots.

Most people I know have no problems with most cereal. I am different in this case. It is a texture thing. I will eat some cereals dry that I would never put in a bowl with milk because by the second spoonful they are too mushy. This is what I am getting at.

There are very few cereals that pass the "mush factor test". Yes, it is a personal preference, but I will not eat if my only option is a cereal that does not pass. I can't *get past* the texture problem. But, I can make choices that match up with my "preferences." As an adult, I can choose not to buy those mushy types of cereal. As a person who is not starving, I can go without eating a meal by choice.

Do I/have I had issues with eating food? Absolutely, yes. Yes. Yes.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 8:23 pm

Yup, that's me. I eat one food thing at a time. Usually because I only make one thing at a time. :) I can't stand tasting two different things at once.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:29 pm

So many foods are already mixes of things (Think soups for one) that the mixing is not a problem for me. It's taste and texture combos.

I cannot eat certain things though, even if it makes sense.

I grew up on peanut butter and banana sandwiches. A friend of the family used to take the peanut butter and bananas and make a blended mix in the blender. Could not do it. Texture was all wrong. REally have a problem with 'mush' except for mashed potatoes. But, I will put pickles on the peanut butter because I like the sour and sweet combo. Peanut butter must be crunchy to match the pickles crunch.

Crunch is one of my big texture favorites.

Can't eat fish unless it's fried or backed and has some stiffness. Wife likes it boiled. blecccchhhhh.....she swears I won't eat fish.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:40 pm

I do this sometimes. I usually try to eat up the food I don't really like at the beginning so I can enjoy the food I do like more. But I alternate between foods, too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 9:44 pm

olympiadis wrote:
If you have a plate with multiple different food items on it, do you eat one item at a time before moving to the next?

I did this up until I was a teenager.
Sure NTs could have developed a similar habit, but my experience was that it stood out to everyone who saw me eat, and they had never seen such a thing before.
I eventually broke myself of it for the most part in order to avoid the attention of people noticing.

Now I have no problem mixing foods, or eating bits of each item alternately.

I got attention for the opposite. One time anyway. A friend in eighth grade said that I "hunt and peck" my lunch plate at each item. Veggie here, meat there, then the carb, the back again. Its the only to way to fly.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 12:42 am

Yes I do sometimes.

Even without dividers, I learnt how to keep foods from getting merged or getting it touch with each other for the entire meal.
And having rice as a staple food really helps it too overcoming something like this. :twisted:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2016, 3:36 pm

I always eat one thing at a time. Even in salads. From my least favorite to favorite

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Feb 2016, 5:35 am

This reminds me: in fifth grade the teacher called me out in front of the entire class because I DARED to eat my Chex Mix one at a time during snack time! :evil: She said, "you need to start really eating instead of just picking out the ones you like!"

Another time I was eating my chips, one at a time, in another classroom and that teacher made me physically put the chip back into the bag because I'd taken too long to eat.

Childhood was a simpler time. Or was it?

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Feb 2016, 6:35 am

Always one at a time. I've had people say to me "aren't you going to eat that?" Or "don't you like such and such". No, it's because I'm going through each section lol.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 4:01 pm

when I'm hungry enough i'll basically hoover up all the food indiscriminately. :pig:

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 4:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when I'm hungry enough i'll basically hoover up all the food indiscriminately. :pig:

That's the one thing I've always done. Cram my food down as fast as possible.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 4:59 pm

zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I got in the bad habit of eating that way in the army when they herded us into the mess hall and ordered us to clean our plates in less than 3 minutes and then get the hell out. took me years to break myself of that.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 5:11 pm

auntblabby wrote:
zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I got in the bad habit of eating that way in the army when they herded us into the mess hall and ordered us to clean our plates in less than 3 minutes and then get the hell out. took me years to break myself of that.
I always did it.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 8:37 pm

my army vet dad never broke himself of that, unfortunately.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 8:40 pm

definitely not healthy to cram food like that. But, it's what I do. I do not know why.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 8:46 pm

^^^force of habit?