Page 1 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

If you have a plate with multiple different food items on it, do you eat one item at a time before moving to the next?

I did this up until I was a teenager.
Sure NTs could have developed a similar habit, but my experience was that it stood out to everyone who saw me eat, and they had never seen such a thing before.
I eventually broke myself of it for the most part in order to avoid the attention of people noticing.

Now I have no problem mixing foods, or eating bits of each item alternately.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 7:00 pm

Yep! Necessary foods get eaten first, then important foods, and finally, the foods I prefer to eat even if I can't eat any more.

Rarely, I combine some foods. Chocolate and a red wine is always great. Winston Churchill knew this.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 7:03 pm

If I'm making my own meals, there's only one thing on my plate. MEAT!! !

I hate vegetables, fruit and water. Always have ever since I was a kid. Don't know how I've stayed alive for so long!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 7:09 pm

i believe one at a time..

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

Usually I combine foods for each single spoonful as I like the textures.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 7:46 pm

Usually, I eat my vegetables first, then my potato, then my protein but occasionally, if I am having poached salmon and some sort of root vegetable mash, I will mix those two together as the tastes go well.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 8:18 pm

Always one at a time. Only eat different things before finishing another when expected to by the people I'm with such as "try the steak, I want to know how you like it".

Today I was going to eat my apple salad then eat my grilled cheese sandwich. But my grandma lightly insisted I eat the grilled cheese sandwich first and then the apple salad. There's not any reason to make a deal out of it so I did it that way. But had I been on my own I would have ate the apple salad and then the grilled cheese sandwich. I usually choose what I want to eat last immediately.

Another somewhat abnormal thing is I used to salt most things. Eventually I stopped as it became a slight health concern. Also I drink water and only rarely anything else. I don't get "bored" of drinking water. I like the thought of drinking water as it cleanses the body.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 8:32 pm

How about if you're eating something like cereal with two different parts to it, like the plain toasted cereal pieces and marshmallow bits ?

As a kid I would eat the toasted pieces first, then the marshmallows.
Same thing with Captain Crunch and Crunch Berries.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 8:50 pm

I'm a weird Aspie---I like to mix my food.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

There was another thread like this a week or two ago. I gave a longer response there.

But, in short, I would not mix food at all when I was a kid - I could only have one food on my plate at a time, or it had to be on a divided plate.

I gradually allowed multiple foods to be on my plate, but would only eat one thing at a time.

When I was 17 and started dating my husband, I learned to go back and forth between types of food.

I still do not like mixing most foods.

I also have preferences about the order in which I eat things. Also, there are certain foods that I will not eat together. For example, I will never have a glass of milk while eating an apple - one of the grossest tastes I have ever tasted.

I am extremely picky about cold cereal - I will only eat cereal that doesn't get soggy (and that's not too many types.)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 10:17 pm

No, I have always tried to distribute the different food items equally, because I find it tastes best that way.

Quote:
How about if you're eating something like cereal with two different parts to it, like the plain toasted cereal pieces and marshmallow bits ?

I haven't eaten that particular cereal, don't even think it exists here, but I have eaten other mixed cereals, and then I simply eat whatever ended up in my spoon.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 3:57 am

It depends on what I'm eating because theres some food that I like mixing and some that I don't like to mix

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 4:15 am

If I'm having a meal with two different things, I'll go back and forth between them, but I will always eat the meat / poultry part last. Same with fries and a burger, eat the fries before the burger.

At Christmas, we have turkey, mashed potatoes, buns and corn. I will always eat the corn first (and any other time its served), I have no idea why.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 5:19 am

Ever put a bunch of different things in a blender and mix it?

Tastes like vomit.

Some items I will mix together because they complement each other (e.g., cranberry sauce and turkey meat), but in general, I prefer to enjoy one taste sensation at a time.

Data001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2014, 7:31 am

Hi,

I eat my foods separately too as when I was younger my folks used to take my brother and I on day trips all over the UK and we end up having lunch or on the way home in a pub or restaurant.

My parents used to say to my younger brother and I, "If you can't eat all of it then eat the most expensive bit first."

So, being an aspie, I took them at their word and even now I eat the most expensive part first, which is the meat. After that, I tend to eat chips or potatoes, and then the veg. If it's something like a Pizza, bowl of pasta, or a Indian curry then I don't mind if it's all mixed together.

Regards

Data001

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2014, 9:55 am

I don't like mixing foods (although I recently grew accustomed to marinara sauce on pasta), because I don't like mixed textures in food.
I may skip around a little, but for the most part I think I do finish each item before moving around, unless it's spicy and I need something to counter it.