Yes, and I'm under 30 33%  33%  [ 21 ]
Yes, and I'm over 30 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 63

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 6:29 am

More On Hooking Up

"A lot is being said about hooking up -- its pleasures, its freedoms, and its fall out. In my last blog entry 'Hooking Up,' I focused more on the impact of a younger generation who, without any experience in relationships, may go through life, without the inclination, opportunity, or know-how to see a relationship through its many incarnations. I do see that this group of young people could miss out on a dimension of human experience that widens one's experience of self, increases and challenges one's capacity to love, and ultimately, teaches one how to live in the world in a more thoughtful, compassionate way."

more...

- Emerson

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 6:30 am

I can't imagine getting anything but a tiny thrill from it. I have more fun with the critters in my closet.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2007, 9:58 am

i am 41. i got married when i was 17 because i was taught that it was "better to marry than to burn."
so as immature as i was, i chose a horrid person.

i should have just hooked up with someone for the duration of the teenaged years instead of marrying a guy that i hardly knew.

this is why people over the age of 30 think it is far better to hook up than not.

i tell my girls, that it is far easier to dump a boyfriends things on the lawn than a husbands things, because you then have to deal with lawyers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 5:11 pm

I would be more apt to hook up than to wait until marriage, especially since half of all marriages end in divorce.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 5:25 pm

I accept that other people do it, but I for one find it shallow and would not participate in it myself. I don't need someone else to have a cheap thrill, not to mention I don't need all the diseases that such a lifestyle most definitely carries. If I want to have intercourse, it's going to be with someone I know well and have respect for, and it's going to be a testament to how close we've grown.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 5:32 pm

My ideal scenario would be to cohabitate with a partner for a while, and then decide on marriage at a later time.

Tim

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 6:19 pm

Casual sex with one partner and no-one else, married or not.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 6:27 pm

Anubis wrote:

You described my ideal situation perfectly.

Tim

quiet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2007, 6:50 pm

I have no moral problems with the idea of "hooking up."

However, I am jealous of those who have the necessary social skills that allow them to participate in it though - so I dislike them for that reason. :x

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 7:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Anubis wrote:

You described my ideal situation perfectly.

Tim

Wow, just sex? I can't imagine that. Frankly, although I still have a strong drive, I've always felt that the sex was less important than the physical bonding.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 8:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I would be more apt to hook up than to wait until marriage, especially since half of all marriages end in divorce.

Tim

I thought you were pretty religious. How do you reconcile your religion and hooking up?

This isn't meant to be a personal attack - I am really curious.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 6:58 pm

janicka wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Tim

I thought you were pretty religious. How do you reconcile your religion and hooking up?

This isn't meant to be a personal attack - I am really curious.

I was Lutheran (one of the more liberal denominations) from 2002-2006, but I stopped going due to the pastor, whom I had a cult-like level of respect, moving out of state. I do believe a God exists, but I am not really practicing a specific doctrine right now.

I am secular, but not atheist.

As for hooking up, I got a little confused about the definition. I didn't see the part where it could mean simply getting together for lunch or a movie, and that would be my idea of hooking up.

Sorry for any confusion.

Tim

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 9:44 am

Tim_Tex - how old are you? I'm 30, so when I was younger "hooking up" did mean going to lunch and movie and whatever. But nowadays (and the way it's being used in this thread) it means casual sex with basically a stranger. It doesn't even mean a friend who is a f*** buddy.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 10:18 am

I wonder if this goes in cycles. Because I vaguely remember in the 90's it getting the meaning you're talking about. But in the 80's I can only remember it refering to meeting someone and having sex for the first time - though not necessarily ending in a goodbye at the end. Maybe it's a culture thing though - I was in college for that second meaning, but around more buisness oriented people in the 90's.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 5:32 pm

janicka wrote:
Tim_Tex - how old are you? I'm 30, so when I was younger "hooking up" did mean going to lunch and movie and whatever. But nowadays (and the way it's being used in this thread) it means casual sex with basically a stranger. It doesn't even mean a friend who is a f*** buddy.

I'm 27.

Tim

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2007, 5:36 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
janicka wrote:

I'm 27.

Tim

K, so I am confused... Are you saying you don't remember it ever meaning that, or that you didn't infer the possible meaning from the context of this thread? Cause I didn't even catch on to the fact that it may mean casual sex until recently because I knew the other meaning from when it was used years ago to mean you were meeting someone (example, "I'm going to hook up with Mary at the mall and we are going to go to chinese for lunch").