what would your neurotypical twin be like?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:57 pm

if I had a neurotypical twin, she'd be good with people. She'd work in sales and enjoy being around people. She'd be calmer and not let every tiny thing get to her. she wouldn't obsess about things the way I do.

But she wouldnt love animals like I do. She wouldn't have the same rich inner world I do, those intense emotions so typical on the spectrum. She wouldn't be as fascinated by music as I am. I wrote a post about it in my blog, about all the advantages and disadvantages, and the different angles of having a neurotypical twin.

What do you think your neurotypical twin would be like?

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:05 pm

A cross between Stewart Smalley and the Geico Caveman. Works as a sign twirler or Walmart greeter, when not volunteering as a male cheerleader. Works his way up from flight attendant to teaching cultural sensitivity classes in a major venue.

Last edited by friedmacguffins on 15 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

Mostly the same, but with social skills.

He would probably get more things done than me, because he wouldn't fret and worry quite as much as I do (on account of my pathological fear of failure that sometimes borders on paranoia). There wouldn't be any cyclothymic manias and depressions. But he would still be lazy, undisciplined, and hot-tempered.

He'd be much more of a people person, striking conversations easily with pretty much everyone, but at the same time selective in who he would associate with. He'd be an oddball, but one who could make himself fairly popular.

He would stand for his ideals better than I do. He wouldn't hide behind selfish excuses, because he would be less self-centered and egotistical by virtue of his neurological make-up. He wouldn't retreat within himself.

He'd be significantly less flawed than I am right now, though he would still have flaws.

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2014, 4:48 pm

the only similarity i'd expect is the appearance.
so i mean really how am i to know.
he'd be normal.
that's all i know.
he'd also get laid a whole lot more.

Last edited by anthropic_principle on 15 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

I have a neurotypical twin.

He works in a department store, has a girlfriend, and goes out drinking and playing pool.
He follows all the latest fashions and listens to chart music.
He acts really confidently, and can appear laid back but he can also be moody.
He doesn't really seem to have any hobbies other than above. When he's home he's mainly on the computer, on the phone or sleeping. He doesn't talk much to me or any other family members I don't think, but I guess he must talk to his friends. I think he really values being popular and 'normal', so he'd be upset if anyone suggested he wasn't.

When we were kids my mum thought that if either of us was autistic or anything, it would be him. So perhaps he isn't neurotypical, but so far I'm the only one out of us with a diagnosis, so yeah, I dunno.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm

- She would have a lot of friends but wouldn't bring them home in childhood, ashamed of our father and me.
- She would be friends with class clowns and bully me - just a bit, "for my own good" so I learn to deal with it. Protective in a worst possible way.
- She would sing in school festivals (I wanted to do it but I couldn't figure out how to apply).
- She would be class representative and do it properly (I was one a few times but was afraid of doing anything at the meetings).
- She would do slightly worse at school than I did. She would be able to pass despite not learning at all but she wouldn't be afraid of failing so she wouldn't study at all. Therefore she would have less A's and more C's compared to me.
- She would have a few boyfriends by the age of 18 and she would lose her virginity by age 16, when our mom would be offering us free condoms so we don't make "a mistake" (honestly! My mom did this to me but I refused, saying I am not interested in it.).
- She would attend public high school instead of private one. She would be popular with boys there and find a soulmate.
- She would be wearing girly, fashionable clothes and make up. She would listen to our mom's advice about that.
- She would study astronomy in Kraków(assuming she would be also interested in astronomy) despite not getting there in 1st try (not enough mature exam points). She wouldn't think "No" is "No" as I did and she would send more letters so they let her try. (They refused me but it ended up only 49 people joined and 50 slots was waiting - the last spot would be me, my mom told me to send them a letter so they let me join but I refused, thinking they won't accept me because I don't met the points requirements)
- She would move out the house and rent a room near her college. She would be friends with her roommates.
- She would give up astronomy after 1st year, finding it too hard and not being determined enough "to finish what was started".
- She would give up on high education, focused on social life more.
- She would work as mobile phone shop assistant (assuming she would be good with mobile phones as I am).
- She would have a steady boyfriend by now. Probably a kid too.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 6:36 pm

I sometimes pretend I have a twin brother. But is he not NT. He is ADHD and learning difficulties, and some social awkwardness. I can't think of what an NT twin would be like. AS or Autism seems contagious in siblings, even if the sibling is naturally NT, some can develop some sort of depression or anxiety or some other emotional disorder. My older brother is NT but over the years seemed to have become affected by my AS, and now as an adult my mum is worrying about him. He is 27 and has no girlfriend, won't move out, and is depressed and suicidal. So God knows what an NT twin brother would be like. Or an NT twin sister.

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2014, 7:17 pm

His name would be Evan, and he would be socially awkward and perverted, but have three times the friends I have. He would have a passion for math, and people would call him a genius when we were kids. This would give me a HUGE inferiority complex. He would pervert the law of causality to make me feel bad about myself, and go to a different school where he took all honors classes. He would call me by my old, ooold[/u] nickname that I hated. And I would highly suspect him to believe me a savant for storytelling.

Oh. Wait.

That guy's real.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 11:29 pm

He wouldn't be a quitter like me but he'd make a lot more impulsive decisions so he'd have several certificates or a degree that he can't really use. His impulsive nature would mean he'd have several kids he doesn't really like much (assuming he shares my dislike of children). His lack of obsession would mean he'd own less cool stuff than me and more practical stuff. He'd probably have a different set of friends than me. He'd hate his parents slightly less than I do.

I'm sure my NT twin wouldn't fail at the same things I do but that doesn't guarantee he'll be successful in life. Anyway it's my fantasy so I'm going to make him into a loser so I can feel schadenfreude at him :twisted:

Kiriae wrote:
She would give up astronomy after 1st year, finding it too hard and not being determined enough "to finish what was started".

What? Being ASD makes you less likely to give up on things? I thought it was the other way around?
CryingTears15 wrote:
His name would be Evan, and he would be socially awkward and perverted, but have three times the friends I have. He would have a passion for math, and people would call him a genius when we were kids. This would give me a HUGE inferiority complex. He would pervert the law of causality to make me feel bad about myself, and go to a different school where he took all honors classes. He would call me by my old, ooold[/u] nickname that I hated. And I would highly suspect him to believe me a savant for storytelling.

Oh. Wait.

That guy's real.

:x He sounds like my annoying cousin who's six months younger than me, except he doesn't call me names. He's actually really nice all the time which makes me hate him even more (sort of the way Homer hates for not only being richer than him but acting nice all the time).

Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 16 Nov 2014, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 11:42 pm

It would all depend on what type of twin it was. Identical, Fraternal, Monoamniotic / Monochorionic, or Mirror. I have heard of twins where one is NT and the other is AS. It does happen. I guess my NT twin would look like me but would not be as interesting as I am.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Nov 2014, 12:02 am

He'd be an extremely uninteresting, slighting less douchey version of me.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 1:10 am

A healthy version of me would probably have a good social life. If she were to be heterosexual she would probably be a popular b!tch. If she's not she would probably have a good social life until puberty. People would start noticing that she's not into boys like the other girls. They might notice that she acts weird around certain girls. That might start some gay rumors and that would affect her social life. She would probably start dating girls at around fifteen. Since I'm not healthy I'm still mostly closeted and have no experience with girls.

She would probably be successful in school and not drop out in grade ten like I did. She would probably not be as obsessive as me. She would probably have a job and car by now. She'd probably be close to moving out. Her biggest worry would probably be her sexuality or finances. She would probably feel way more free to be herself and not be scared that her quirks would be attributed to some disorder.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2014, 2:24 am

I think that's pretty much my sister. She's exactly the same as me, except that she's not...well, autistic.

My twin would be able to make comments that don't come off as mean or rude all the time.
They would like things, but not to such an extreme case.
They would be able to go to bars and clubs and make friends!

Wow, this sounds so cool. I know really want a twin! I've always wanted one, who doesn't?!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 6:39 am

He would still be introverted but be able to adjust to change and while not liking it would socialize and network easier when he needed to. So his career success would have lasted through most of his adulthood. He would would have married a bit late to a quiet girl. Marriage might have failed and he might have been laid off in the recession. He would be somewhat prejudiced and quite intolerant. He would hate Autism Speaks because he respected individualism and as a "law and order" conservative he would want the death penalty for people who kill their autistic kids. But as a NT he would not understand claims of exhaustion from acting 24/7 and would think of it as a excuse, and would think autistics are using Autism Speaks and societal prejudiced as excuses.

The above is based on a lot of my actual views when I was successful in my 20's and thought I was"just" introverted towards blacks and gays.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 6:45 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Kiriae wrote:
She would give up astronomy after 1st year, finding it too hard and not being determined enough "to finish what was started".

What? Being ASD makes you less likely to give up on things? I thought it was the other way around?

I have trouble starting things but once I start something I do everything I can to finish it because the idea of giving up in the middle causes me anxiety.

Once I start a school it becomes my routine and my life is planned till graduation. Giving up means instability and looking for work/another school so I would rather continue what I am doing because it doesn't mean any huge life changes within next 2-5 years. Just the exams. But I'm smart enough to pass even hardest one if I try hard enough so its not such a problem. I never failed any exam on the 1st date unless there were external factors involved.

I understand other people with ASD might be more prone to give up on schools too. But I am a lucky one in this field - I got a strong brain that is like a sponge when it comes to learning.

And from my experience NT people are easily able to give up on a school after 1st year if they decide its not for them. They don't want to waste time and are not afraid of instability that comes with looking for and then starting something new.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 9:12 am

Well, she probably would have gone to my older sister's school and would have had different influences, I suppose. But as for how different she would be from me, I wouldn't know. I already have a sibling who isn't on the autism spectrum. I don't think she's neurotypical, though, because she is gifted and also has trouble with migraines after a cabinet fell on her head. Nevertheless, she and I are very much alike so I don't know how different an identical twin would be from me.