Do you ever have a meltdown for seemingly no reason?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 4:06 am

Occasionally I will have a minor meltdown and I cannot figure out what the heck the problem is. I basically just can't think, I feel confused and overwhelmed, but there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. This happened a couple days ago. I was trying to do something on my laptop, I think I was just reading something here on WP. I started out feeling only slightly overwhelmed, but it kept getting worse, and I ended up just pulling on my hair a lot and being extremely frustrated, and getting even more frustrated because I didn't even know why I was frustrated enough to help myself calm down :wall: I was like that for 10-15 minutes. My friend called in the middle of it, and I had to answer, because he will just call 20 more times if I don't pick up, and that would be pretty annoying. Even though I told him, it seems he doesn't understand that sometimes I just don't want to talk :roll: so I answered and put it on speaker, but I just responded to every one of his questions with, "I don't know!" for a while and didn't really listen to what he was saying (I guess I could have just turned the phone off instead of answering it, but I wasn't thinking clearly enough for that apparently)

What ended up calming me down was when I spilled all 525 cotton swabs from a newly opened package all over the floor (oddly enough). I needed to put them back, but they wouldn't fit in the package unless I put them back all lined up like they were before I spilled them, I couldn't just throw them in (I didn't really want to do that anyway). So I put them back in one by one. I don't know how long it took me to do that, but it was a while, and after about 5 minutes of it I noticed that I felt calm again.

I still don't know what caused that though. Maybe next time I should just spill my cotton swabs again :lol:

- Sherlock Holmes

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 7:43 am

I get meltdowns with no reason but I usually think its things which I supress or couldn't fully express until they get bottled up then explode into a meltdown

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2014, 7:45 am

Zajie wrote:
I get meltdowns with no reason but I usually think its things which I supress or couldn't fully express until they get bottled up then explode into a meltdown

Same.

I think I might be bipolar.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 7:49 am

ForeignObject wrote:
Zajie wrote:

Same.

I think I might be bipolar.

I also think that about myself, the state of my mind keeps changing and quickly.

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2014, 7:59 am

Zajie wrote:
I also think that about myself, the state of my mind keeps changing and quickly.

It sucks. I know.

I was gonna go on some medication, but I heard the side effects are bizarre.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 8:23 am

I was close to one last night. The trigger was the jackass I have for a roommate, who has absolutely no regard for anyone's feelings but his own. What set me off last night? I lad a load of dishes in the dishwasher. He comes back from what woman he's been f!cking lately, goes in the kitchen, opens the dishwasher door and tells me he doesn't want it running while HE takes a shower. :wall: Yet, if I have my TV slightly loud, because of the tinnitus in my ears, he raises hell. But I'm not allowed to complain when he leaves every light in the house lit, or he's in his room having sex with another woman, or if he smokes out in the garage. Believe me, the first time I catch him smoking marijuana in the garage, I'll have him arrested. I've had it with this irresponsible d!ickcheese!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 8:52 am

I have before and I can't remember when it last happened. I always think there is a reason and I am not always aware of it.

I remember I was getting them for no reason when I was with my ex boyfriend whenever we went to his grandparents when we were going somewhere. It happened every time I was there and he would get upset with me about it and told me he thinks his grandparents think I don't like them. I think I know now why I would get meltdowns, I did not know what t expect. I knew what our plans were but I didn't know how long we would be there for and when we were leaving so it would make me anxious and then I would have a meltdown because I couldn't cope with it anymore. The same thing happened at his apartment, he would say we were leaving and I didn't know when so it would make me anxious so I had more anxiety and more stress and I would have outbursts or meltdowns and he would say "That's not AS" as if everything I was doing was supposed to be AS when I had told him I also have anxiety and other conditions. But he was still critical about it as if I wasn't supposed to be having them because there was no logical reason for it. There are always illogical reasons why an autistic acts out and sometimes there are actually logical reasons for it but people outside their brains are not aware of the root of the cause. Sometimes parents have to play detective and sometimes we have to play it on ourselves. So now it was logical why I was having meltdowns. He just didn't know and I didn't know. But it was nothing new then either and still isn't whenever it happens. One time I came home and a messy kitchen put me into one so I start doing the dishes and I was upset about it and I refused to do anything else until it was cleaned and if anyone tried to stop me, I would be screaming and shouting, and coming home to a messy kitchen usually didn't upset me and I think something went on at work I didn't like and then I come home and a messy kitchen was the last straw so glass was full and over poured. I ran out of tokens.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 1:00 pm

ForeignObject wrote:
Zajie wrote:

It sucks. I know.

I was gonna go on some medication, but I heard the side effects are bizarre.

Yeah
I also never took medications for it and I don't want to because like you said it has bizarre side effects

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 2:17 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
What ended up calming me down was when I spilled all 525 cotton swabs from a newly opened package all over the floor (oddly enough). I needed to put them back, but they wouldn't fit in the package unless I put them back all lined up like they were before I spilled them, I couldn't just throw them in (I didn't really want to do that anyway). So I put them back in one by one. I don't know how long it took me to do that, but it was a while, and after about 5 minutes of it I noticed that I felt calm again.

That's exactly the kind of thing that will sometimes calm me down too.

When I have a meltdown, I always know what triggered it, and what the underlying reason is (which can be two different things). But sometimes the real reason is because I'm hungry or my blood sugar is getting too low.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 3:49 pm

I have a general idea now of what the reason was, but it still is not very clear to me. I think it is because I still have kind of a hard time recognizing my own feelings in the moment, so I don't really see the subtle signs until it's already a bit too late.

- Sherlock Holmes

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 3:53 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
I have a general idea now of what the reason was, but it still is not very clear to me. I think it is because I still have kind of a hard time recognizing my own feelings in the moment, so I don't really see the subtle signs until it's already a bit too late.

I love you.

Just remember that, when you go to sleep, I will always love you.

:heart: :rambo:

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 3:57 pm

Norny wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

I love you.

Just remember that, when you go to sleep, I will always love you.

:heart: :rambo:

:D

- Sherlock Holmes

ForeignObject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2014, 4:52 pm

Zajie wrote:
Yeah
I also never took medications for it and I don't want to because like you said it has bizarre side effects

The best I can do is wait it out. What do you do?

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 5:19 pm

ForeignObject wrote:
Zajie wrote:
Yeah

The best I can do is wait it out. What do you do?

I also wait but it turns into depression or anger later

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 7:58 pm

Most of my meltdowns *seem* to have no reason. In reality, the trigger is just that, a trigger. The "gun" so to speak has likely been loaded for days, weeks or even months. They also always happen during my period nowadays. It actually takes a lot to make me meltdown. It's ironic that they seem to happen over nothing.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:32 pm

dianthus wrote:
When I have a meltdown, I always know what triggered it, and what the underlying reason is (which can be two different things). But sometimes the real reason is because I'm hungry or my blood sugar is getting too low.

I'm wondering about the difference and/or relationship between meltdowns and panic attacks. It seems, intuitively, that it's the same sort of relationship as between anger and fear, with the emotions much more intense. I've always had meltdowns (I guess), but not recently when I've had a more peaceful life. Back when, I'd call it "losing my temper", and it was fairly uncontrollable, and I always knew what it was about. The last few years (and before) I've had panic attacks, and often they come out of the clear blue, though I can usually feel them building up, sometimes they'll back off into plain, controllable anxiety. Sometimes I do know the trigger (and it can be a wasp flying through the room dangling his legs, and I'm not particularly allergic to their stings, just "sensitive" about them, or other specific things that are fairly common but not particularly serious). I've been prescribed Xanax generic for the panic attacks, but I try not to take it unless it seems really necessary, and it's not always clear where "this" anxiety buildup is going to go. I hadn't thought about blood sugar or being empty as a root cause for them, though I had thought about the depressive biochemicals. I'm going to have to try to observe where the blood sugar might be, next time I get all tense.