Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm

Have any of you ever done behavioural coding? It's something you usually do in a Psychology program, typically undergrads do it but Master's students also do it sometimes.

It basically involves quantifying qualitative data, or judging information from speech or videos of living beings (in my case, humans). Even though the process is more concrete than reading people's body language, I am finding behavioural coding quite difficult and exhausting. I seem to be having a lot of trouble generalizing the rules I learn for coding.

Have any of you done something similar and, if so, is there any way that you made the task easier for yourself?

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:52 am

You should read Lovaas. He did lots of "behavioral coding."

He's controversial for a good reason: he used ABA in a rough way in order to obtain "results."

He, basically, puts behaviors, and intensity of behaviors, into categories--similar to how there is "Level 1, level 2, level 3" autism within the DSM V.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 12:16 pm

Thank you! I definitely need to read that book sometime. I think I have been avoiding reading it as opposed to newer ABA literature because he did use aversives and I'm kind of sensitive emotionally, so I didn't want to be triggered by it.

Once I'm in a calmer state and feel like I could handle it (and have more time on my hands), I will read it for sure.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.