Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:21 am

Any other athiests here? I am curious and why are you an athiest? I became one because religion seems less and less believeable as the years have gone by.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:27 am

For me it was mostly because every religion claims to have the "truth", through reading lots of philosophy, listening to debates on youtube, and watching very convincing documentaries.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:37 am

Matthaeus wrote:
For me it was mostly because every religion claims to have the "truth", through reading lots of philosophy, listening to debates on youtube, and watching very convincing documentaries.
As I got more into science geology and biology it definately killed it for me because both have proven that the Earth is older than my former religion claimed it to be and Evolution seems to make a lot more sense against the book of fairy tales I had to read. The stories seem to contradict themselves as well it all seems un realistic to me anyway.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 3:38 am

For me, it was mostly because theological thinking never made sense to me and I had learned or read about things like evolution at an early age. I just couldn't bring myself to believe in God even if I wanted to.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 3:46 am

To me religion seems pointless and a waste of time I felt trapped and forced into being willfully ignorant to a make believe being in order to be a good person but did not like it either since it conflicted with my scientific studies and when i mention them I was hated by the christian community etc when the reality of it all seemed to destroy it all together. I mean can god creat a rock so heavy he cannot lift? He doe not seem to exist and is make believe.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 4:58 am

I have never been religious, so I guess I was born as an atheist. To me it seems the default position.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 5:54 am

I'm a devout believer in atheism. At times my faith in not-God is bordering on fanaticism.

The_fire_rises
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2014, 6:56 am

plenty probably.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2014, 8:08 am

Yep! Atheists are God's chosen people, and we don't believe that God exists. With all of the trouble that he has apparently gone to in order to keep us from discovering his existence, we are obviously not intended to realize he's there. All these people who declare that there is some divine puppeteer running everything are a bunch of nihilists. The universe works just fine without a deity to have created it or to manage it, and God has made that self-evident in its construction. It would be presumptuous to demand that there must have been a deity there when he has gone to so much trouble to craft such a believable illusion. I tell you, I am fully convinced of it!

The universe is a fine, interesting place, just waiting to be discovered! Adventure and valor! Onward and upward!

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:15 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Matthaeus wrote:
As I got more into science geology and biology it definately killed it for me because both have proven that the Earth is older than my former religion claimed it to be and Evolution seems to make a lot more sense against the book of fairy tales I had to read. The stories seem to contradict themselves as well it all seems un realistic to me anyway.
Yes, the bible is full of inaccuracies, contradictions, and inconsistencies, not to mention lies, deceit, and downright immoral behaviour in the OT.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:19 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
To me religion seems pointless and a waste of time I felt trapped and forced into being willfully ignorant to a make believe being in order to be a good person but did not like it either since it conflicted with my scientific studies and when i mention them I was hated by the christian community etc when the reality of it all seemed to destroy it all together. I mean can god creat a rock so heavy he cannot lift? He doe not seem to exist and is make believe.

I agree with you completely. The religious exploit the fact that most people are sheepish and will believe anything they're told, while people who are intelligent enough to use their own reason sooner or later realise that it is a crock of !@#$. I know this from autopsy 'cause I am a music minister, and the former pastor always kinda felt squirmy around me whenever I wanted to talk about something other than speaking outright lies. It was all too obvious to me why, but I have to persist to "believe",keep the charade and fairy tale going to keep the only job I have.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:41 pm

I was never a theist, even though my parent are believers, and I went to Christian schools.

Simple reason is it is not compiling, either the reason to follow a religion, nor the concept of a creator like God.

There is some science that suggest that a person neurology can determining if someone is prone to magical thinking.

On the other hand this function of the brain has a biological purpose (in subjective thinking, creative thinking, and breaking out of analysis) simply that is more dominant is some people.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

Could you imagine a world without religion, like the John Lennon lyric?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

Matthaeus wrote:
Could you imagine a world without religion, like the John Lennon lyric?

I can. When I was young in the 80s and 90s I rarely met religious people, and religion was almost never talked about. The only religious people I knew were very old so I suspected that the 21st century would have no religion in it. We all know how that turned out. Even the f*****g Caliphate is back.

Persevero
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2014, 3:49 pm

I suppose religion would be replaced with post-modernist thinking.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 4:04 pm

IT should be replaced with pure humanistic, secular outlook on life. Read A.C.Grayling's the god argument, for instance. Excellent read. The man is brilliant.
I also have this fantasy of going back to the ancient authors, like in the Renaissance, but that is only wishful thinking. :D