Do other Aspies feel severely depressed in the winter?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 7:03 am

It appears that most Aspies like the winter better than any other time of the year. Not me though. Winter causes problems. As a severe emetophobe, I dread when the vomiting bug becomes more rife than any other time of the year. You hear of one case after another, and it worries me sick (no pun intended).
And then there's the risk of snow. I can't stand the snow. Most people jump for joy when its going to snow, but I don't. Everything seems to look different in the snow, and traffic gets held up, and I also don't like the cold. I wouldn't be able to see my boyfriend much if it snows this winter because he lives at least 20 miles away, and anyway I'd probably feel obliged to do overtime at work because a lot of people don't like to drive in the snow (also most try to get out of coming into work when it snows, although I can't do that because I live local).
Winter wouldn't be as bad if we just got rain and milder air each year. But that still doesn't stop the nights from drawing in. I don't like it getting dark at 4 in the afternoon. I hate being out in the dark because its when the hooligans come out.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:25 am

Its opppsite for me I get depressed more in summer, I love winter its so nice I like reading, going to trips, staying up till midnight, drinking hot drinks during it

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:06 am

I don't feel depressed during winter, I only will likely to be feeling a bit sick. Physically. And that's it.

And yesy, it's not an aspie thing.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:52 am

Winter is my favourite time of year but most people don't like it. The only thing I don't particularly like is that it is pitch black dark by 4pm (usually about 3:30pm by middle of december) and it's not light until 9am. I love snow though, not so fond of ice because I hate walking on it but snow is amazing.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

Quote:
I don't feel depressed during winter, I only will likely to be feeling a bit sick. Physically. And that's it.

And yesy, it's not an aspie thing.

And oh, what I meant by winter, I meant late August to early November; up to late January to early February. I live in a country where there's no snow. xD it has storms and colder temperature instead.

But then, if I currently do live in a country where snow exists, I probably won't survive long enough. :( Really. I have cold sensitivity, and people here LOVES cold up to the point obsessed in cold weather. (And frequently dreamed of touching REAL snow)

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

I live in CANADA. I can assure you that most of us up here get depressed when winter shows up. Except for maybe the snowmobilers and the skiers - mind you those two types are half drunk most of the time anyhow.

Most of us Canadians dream of Florida, Arizona, Hawaii or the Carribean come January and February. (We're the white pasty looking ones in shorts and a Molson Canadian beer t-shirt :D )

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 12:31 am

I get SAD. It usually gets really bad by mid-November, so now.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 12:46 am

Yeah I hate myself this time of year and get frequent negative flashbacks of the past and question why I should continue living and wonder if my life has any purpous.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 7:47 am

I start to get SAD in August, believe it or not. That's when I first notice the nights are getting slightly longer. Then the SAD goes away until about October, when there are leaves all over the ground and everything's getting ready for winter.

Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 7:54 am

Seasonal effective disorder is a thing that exists..

Either way, not for me. I love winter.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 10:29 am

Joe90 wrote:
I start to get SAD in August, believe it or not. That's when I first notice the nights are getting slightly longer. Then the SAD goes away until about October, when there are leaves all over the ground and everything's getting ready for winter.

I believe it. My SAD starts showing up when certain things become harder due to the weather. First when it gets hard to keep the pool warm, then when it starts to get dark earlier and I can't take evening walks as late, and when I stop being able to rely on the sun blaring in my window in the morning to help me wake up it takes hold. I also have a second period of SAD in the spring as I dread the heat, allergens and insects in summer.

Being a light-sensitive aspie, I've never been willing to do light therapy. I have heard of "dawn simulators" which I could do, but most of the ones I see online that aren't exorbitantly expensive aren't strong enough light for SAD. They are marketed more towards "winter blues".

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 12:09 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Yeah I hate myself this time of year and get frequent negative flashbacks of the past and question why I should continue living and wonder if my life has any purpous.

I can relate.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

For me I happen to like the last two seasons of the year (Autumn and Winter) the best due to the fact it's cool/colder there's less light during the days.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2014, 1:55 pm

olympiadis wrote:
I get SAD. It usually gets really bad by mid-November, so now.

In November in the northern hemisphere the last trees lose their leaves. The landscape loses colour and life processes visibly shut down. Additionally ugly human created buildings that are otherwise hidden by trees gain prominence. If fog then further reduces the amount of daily sunlight, cities become fairly desolate places. Winter can feel like an endless tunnel.

I now live in Australia. The seasons have much less of an impact here. Many plants grow all year.

I do notice the shorter days in winter, but I can do all my favourite outdoor activities all year round. That's a huge bonus. On the odd rainy day, the best therapy is to put on a wetsuit and hit the water on a windsurfer.