Now Seinfeld says he is not autitistic

Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 7:19 pm

LoveforLoki wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
If people become convinced that the only "real autistic" are low functioning it is going to hurt people who are autistic but not low functioning. I have been reading all sorts of articles about this as well as the comments sections of the articles. Seinfeld approach seems to be confirmation for people who suspected people labeled high functioning or people who do well can't be autistic.

But you see that is not going to happen just because of Jerry's clumsy statement. There are far too many important, famous, and successful people on the spectrum for that to happen.

Follow this link for examples:
List of people with autism spectrum disorders

Don't you think these smart, successful, famous people would have something to say about that? Everybody knows Jerry says dumb and inappropriate things, A LOT!

I think from now on people might be less willing to believe celebrities claiming they are autistic even if they are diagnosed A celebrity who could have been a positive role model won't be. We are a celebrity obsessed culture. People arguing that celebrities no power are arguing for what should be not what is. They would not be paid so much money to endorse products if there opinions did not matter.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Nov 2014, 6:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 7:25 pm

Doesn't Jerry Seinfeld have a kid with Autism? :?

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

19 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm

I didn't put any stock in it, and I'm glad he's clearing it up now. It would've been a nice representation though.

AQ: 46

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
progaspie wrote:
Does it really matter if he is or isn't? The fact that he came out and said that he felt he could be on the autism spectrum means that he identifies with the autistic community. That's good by me.

Me thinks he did this to get publicity for his new show or worse. I think when the publicity was not as positive as he expected he backed out.

Quell surprise on this one...

This guy hasn't had face time since he dumped his first wife, and his sitcom was in reruns. All publicity is good, whether they say way to go OR you are a douche bag. That's marketing 101.

My one friend, who was a huge defender of him "coming out"- which he didn't , said she felt used. And she getting a whole heap of sh*t from people.

The only thing Jerry identifies with is how much green is in his bank account. Well played, Jerry, well played. He didn't become worth 820 million by being Mother Theresa.

High five and good job for playing us all like the fool. TOURIST!

I truly hope he was having a serious dialogue, and not yanking everyone's chain.

I need a bleach bath after this one. So close to believing it too..

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Quote:
Me thinks he did this to get publicity for his new show or worse. I think when the publicity was not as positive as he expected he backed out.

Thats exactly what I've always thought...

Well, he is a celebrity, after all; and celebrities are always seeking publicity, because...

"Publicity can be terrible. But only if you don't have any." -- Jane Russell, actress

"Publicity, publicity, publicity is the greatest moral factor and force in our public life." -- Joseph Pulitzer, journalist

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde, writer

"There's no such thing as bad publicity." -- Phineas T. Barnum, the 19th century American showman and circus owner

Now that Mr. Seinfeld has received more than his fair share of publicity, I have to wonder if any of those people who criticized me for not believing him in the first place are willing to apologize.

I got some nasty PMs because I didn't BELIEVE! (TM). I have friends in the business, and none of them were buying it either.

Anyway, I adore Mr. Wilde. Jerry yanked that whole page out of his book.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm

I think the whole thing got blown way out of proportion. People come on here all the time saying they think they might have it and no one gets excited over that. I mean my cousin come on here saying he might have autism according to a psychologist. Who here really cared all that much? Anyone even know where that thread is? But if Jerry Seinfeld makes a tiny offhand comment that he thinks he might have it, everyone goes bananas.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think the whole thing got blown way out of proportion. People come on here all the time saying they think they might have it and no one gets excited over that. I mean my cousin come on here saying he might have autism according to a psychologist. Who here really cared all that much? Anyone even know where that thread is? But if Jerry Seinfeld makes a tiny offhand comment that he thinks he might have it, everyone goes bananas.

i agree. also, not that i think people should be jumping with joy or anything but the majority of responses have been really cynical and stuff...

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 1:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't really feel anything about it.
me too

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 2:16 am

Seinfeld was probably advised that his original autism comments have no basis so he just came back with a retraction. Nothing to see here folks...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 4:26 am

Public opinion is not driven by logic but by fears and symbolism. There are a lot of people, and that includes a lot of the professionals who very much want Autism to be defined as it used to be when only the most severely affected were diagnosed. They tend to view people who people who claim that Autistics can be successful , is not a burden are spoiled privileged egotistical brats. Jerry has now become a poster boy http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =Posterboy for these people. As Ginger Baker writing for the anti vaccine publication "Age of Autism" put it "More than a week ago I wrote a little piece on my blog announcing to the world that I was tired of people redefining autism to suit their own agenda, and then applying their definition to themselves and the rest of the world. Then Jerry Seinfeld had to go and give me the most egregious example possible of said phenomenon" http://www.ageofautism.com/2014/11/scre ... istic.html. If it was just Jerry becoming symbolic it would not be important. It became important because Jerry's comments became a tipping point http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipping_po ... ciology%29 in that published opinions that HFA people are not really autistic that were previous were limited to mostly Autism community and internet trolls. Since Jerry's first spoke about it the idea HFA is not real autism has become widely published in the mainstream media. What is very concerning to me (and me alone apparently) is that I have seen this phenomenon before. When the removal of aspergers was being debated in 2012 two articles appeared in the New York Times, one saying his mother misdiagnosed him the other entitled "Asperger?s History of Overdiagnosis". Shortly there thereafter after New Yorker published and article saying that Aspergers was trendy and lo and behold Aspergers was gone as an official diagnosis. A lot of people here agreed that Aspergers had become associated with people faking it, using it to be cool and agreed with the DSM. At the time I said Aspergers was not the real target. the whole idea of a spectrum was. and now here we are.

Me wonders about a more nefarious explanation for Seinfeld's comments then self publicity or an off- hand remark. As noted above after Jerry's original comments the HFA is not really Autism opinion began regularly appearing in the mainstream media. We know Autism Speaks use fear and dehumanizing autistics to fund raise. The neurodiversity movement with it's Autism is a different, difficulties we face are the result of misunderstanding and prejudice threatens the cash flow to Autism Speaks. Already 2 companies pulled their support of Autism Speaks due to a boycott organized by Autistics. Jerry has publicly supported Autism Speaks. I wonder if Autism Speaks paid Seinfeld to become that "egregious example" to anger the "warrior moms". Angry people make donations.

I see a lot of people confusing the endearing quirky character he plays with Jerry himself. That is understandable as we are a group who do tend to take people too literally. Seinfeld has been very successful in the cutthroat http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cutthroat entertainment industry for a long time. He knows how to viciously manipulate audiences.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Nov 2014, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 5:50 am

He said that he watched a play about autism, and identified.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 5:57 am

I would be much more surprised if he was autistic than if he wasn't. Nothing about him strikes me as being the kind of person who would be on the spectrum.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 8:11 am

Care factor: [][][][][][][][][][][][][] 0%
In my opinion autistic people are generally funnier and have a better sense of humour than Seinfeld.
And they're more interesting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 9:11 am

tall-p wrote:
He said that he watched a play about autism, and identified.

So ... it was just another invalid self-diagnosis by an untrained amateur ... :roll:

Let's call it the "Seinfeld Syndrome", eh? :wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 9:45 am

Fnord wrote:
So ... it was just another invalid self-diagnosis by an untrained amateur ... :roll:
ROTFLMAO :lmao:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 11:02 am

Rocket123 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
ROTFLMAO :lmao:

Informed opinions which question the accuracy of self diagnoses are one thing, but ridiculing those who rely on such diagnoses because the alternatives are prohibitively costly, geographically distant, administratively confusing and lengthy, often require the use of tests or the involvement of family members that have minimal influence on the diagnoses, or would risk certain other rights and liberties, is beneath the dignity of anyone, especially others with Asperger's Syndrome (AS) or other autism-spectrum disorders (ASDs), in my opinion.

Stories abound on Wrong Planet (and the greater Internet) about the experiences of individuals (usually adults) who jumped willingly through every diagnostic hoop only to be told by a miseducated or spiteful diagnostician that they showed no evidence of AS or ASDs. Knowing themselves better than any diagnostician (or WP commentator) would, many have ignored their provably botched professional diagnoses and moved on with their lives based on their own self research and self diagnoses based on screening-test scores, lifelong characteristics (including those observed by others), and factor diagnoses. Ironically, they don't crave the imprimatur of some professional, just their own self awareness and knowledge.

In other words, self diagnosis works for them just fine. Who, then, should doubt that on their behalf?

Within another WP topic, "why I self-diagnose," B19 shared a non-professional survey http://abnormaldiversity.blogspot.co.nz ... nosis.html (Abnormaldiversity, 2011) recently which showed ably that the use of screening tests in self-diagnoses was remarkably accurate among those individuals who were later diagnosed professionally. While neither scholarly nor wide-ranging, the survey showed consistency in its results nonetheless. Certainly, we need more such surveys.

Meanwhile, can we accept the Abnormaldiversity survey for what it is and see that screening tests within the context of self diagnosis appear to be generally accurate? If so, do those who choose to self diagnose with such tests, and gain no material benefit from doing so except personal awareness, harm anyone? Of course, not. Are they dabbling inaccurately in things complex? Not really, according to the Abnormaldiversity survey results. Then, where is the desire to intrude and build the strawman of "professionally diagnosed v. self diagnosed" coming from? Clearly, there is hostility about this matter.

But, frankly, I don't see its validity. It all smacks of the Dr. Seuss story about The Sneetches that stated that "...until neither the Plain nor the Star-Bellies knew whether this one was that one... or that one was this one... or which one was what one... or what one was who."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 20 Nov 2014, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.