Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:12 am

Denial stating at 1:20
http://www.accesshollywood.com/jerry-se ... eo_2478937

Seinfeld You f*****g bastard.

His remarks have been very damaging to the community. His remarks have at least partially undone years of slow and steady progress in the understanding of autism as a spectrum, that you can be successful and autistic. I have been reading a number of articles in the mainstream media people are directly saying if you a very successful you can't be autistic. That rarely if ever happened before. I posted this 22 hours after his reversal to access Hollywood reversal and there are only one or 2 links to his reversal compared to endless pages of links to his original claim. I admit I am bad telling if people are lying but when he was saying that he related to a play about autism his tone of voice was that obvious.

I feel we have been set up or in the current terminology gaslighted.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 3:36 am

I don't really feel anything about it.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:13 am

Does it really matter if he is or isn't? The fact that he came out and said that he felt he could be on the autism spectrum means that he identifies with the autistic community. That's good by me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:14 am

Heh.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:32 am

I'm glad he said it. Now we don't have to guess, I don't understand that it was so damaging though. There are many successful Autistic people and some are known celebrities.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 5:49 am

If people become convinced that the only "real autistic" are low functioning it is going to hurt people who are autistic but not low functioning. I have been reading all sorts of articles about this as well as the comments sections of the articles. Seinfeld approach seems to be confirmation for people who suspected people labeled high functioning or people who do well can't be autistic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 5:53 am

progaspie wrote:
Does it really matter if he is or isn't? The fact that he came out and said that he felt he could be on the autism spectrum means that he identifies with the autistic community. That's good by me.

Me thinks he did this to get publicity for his new show or worse. I think when the publicity was not as positive as he expected he backed out.

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2014, 6:19 am

Does it mean that we go back to the old front page with the lady pulling her hair at the top?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 6:52 am

SweetTooth wrote:
Does it mean that we go back to the old front page with the lady pulling her hair at the top?
LOL!! ! I hope not. She was pretty scary. Not a good image for Autistic morale boosting. I don't know what is more scary to the cause of Autism, any damage Jerry might have done or her picture.

Wreck It Ralph

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 7:48 am

Quote:
Me thinks he did this to get publicity for his new show or worse. I think when the publicity was not as positive as he expected he backed out.

Thats exactly what I've always thought.

But I think you're overestimating the power he has over the general public...in the very same manor as those parents of severely autistic children were last week. If anyone makes up their mind about autism from this one guy, they're stupid- and would have come to the same conclusion either way.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:08 am

What confuses me is his nonchalant attitude. He doesn't even really explain why he's deciding he doesn't have it. All this makes me wonder if the aftermath of saying he was on the spectrum is making him do a turn around rather than actually not being on the spectrum.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 8:33 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If people become convinced that the only "real autistic" are low functioning it is going to hurt people who are autistic but not low functioning. I have been reading all sorts of articles about this as well as the comments sections of the articles. Seinfeld approach seems to be confirmation for people who suspected people labeled high functioning or people who do well can't be autistic.

But you see that is not going to happen just because of Jerry's clumsy statement. There are far too many important, famous, and successful people on the spectrum for that to happen.

Follow this link for examples:
List of people with autism spectrum disorders

Don't you think these smart, successful, famous people would have something to say about that? Everybody knows Jerry says dumb and inappropriate things, A LOT!

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Nov 2014, 8:39 am

I only read the topic lines on this (when Seinfeld announced he might be autistic) without reading the posts, as I never gave it serious thought.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

19 Nov 2014, 8:58 am

I don't think this is really inconsistent with his initial statements. Everyone kinda blew this out of proportion, and said "Seinfeld says he has autism!". But that's not really what he said. What he actually said was, "I think, on a very drawn-out scale, I think I?m on the spectrum". That's not really the same as saying "I'm autistic", and I took it more to be that he thought he was on the Broad Autistic Phenotype. He probably could have worded it better, but he clearly didn't think he was at a diagnosable level, which is why all the calls for him to get a diagnosis before he says anything about autism sounded so ridiculous to me.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2014, 9:02 am

People just blew his words out of proportions. He never said he was autistic.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 9:02 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
Quote:

Thats exactly what I've always thought...

Well, he is a celebrity, after all; and celebrities are always seeking publicity, because...

"Publicity can be terrible. But only if you don't have any." -- Jane Russell, actress

"Publicity, publicity, publicity is the greatest moral factor and force in our public life." -- Joseph Pulitzer, journalist

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde, writer

"There's no such thing as bad publicity." -- Phineas T. Barnum, the 19th century American showman and circus owner

Now that Mr. Seinfeld has received more than his fair share of publicity, I have to wonder if any of those people who criticized me for not believing him in the first place are willing to apologize.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.