Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

chessboxer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Dec 2014, 4:18 pm

QueenSillyGoose wrote:
i think Jews are a unique people in this world. i'll be accused of playing the victim, but i'll say it anyway. we are less than 1% of the world's population. (true, we're not the only ethnic group that is like that, but for a major world religion it's shocking.)

I don't understand why statistics like that matter. It is inevitable with globalization and intermarriage that Jews will relatively soon be 0% of the world's population. As human beings we should be focusing on things that unite us rather than things that divide us.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 6:15 pm

chessboxer wrote:
QueenSillyGoose wrote:
i think Jews are a unique people in this world. i'll be accused of playing the victim, but i'll say it anyway. we are less than 1% of the world's population. (true, we're not the only ethnic group that is like that, but for a major world religion it's shocking.)

I don't understand why statistics like that matter. It is inevitable with globalization and intermarriage that Jews will relatively soon be 0% of the world's population. As human beings we should be focusing on things that unite us rather than things that divide us.

I know there are Jews who are dead set against intermarriage with the rest of us in order to keep their identity. But as that sort of tribalism is ultimately doomed as identities morph and merge with globalization, they will have to change their thinking on what constitutes a Jew, and regard what they are as a religion rather than any sort of ethnicity.

Feldman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2014, 3:04 pm

QueenSillyGoose wrote:
are there any Jews here? I'm Jewish and I'm looking for my Jew Crew.

I have Jewish people in my extended family. I don't know if there are many Jews on this board, but I used to post on a schizophrenia forum, and there were lots of Jews there.