Do you all have special interests? What are they?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hillingar
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Nov 2014, 7:29 pm

I have an official diagnosis of asperger's syndrome but I don't have any special interest. I had some very strong interests in the past but I stopped when I grew up (for some reason, probably because I have less time). Now my interest are pretty normal. Like the ones that an NT can have (still a bit unusual sometimes, but no more absorbing and not that weird).

And I tend not to talk about my interests and to keep them for myself. I never bored people talking over and over about the same thing. It's never been a trait of mine..

Anyone like me?

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

Yep, you're not alone! I do have one interest that I enjoy a fair bit, but it's not that consuming and I really don't think it fits the standards of a "special interest". I never really had anything I was really into as a child, either. The interest that I have now that is as close to a special interest as I have is something I never ever feel compelled to share information with others about. I will say that I do have short-term interests that are all consuming, but they really only last at max a month (but usually only a few days to a week) and they usually involve doing instead of absorbing/learning.

Last edited by calstar2 on 19 Nov 2014, 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2014, 8:22 pm

Mine is technology. Since I was little, I've always been fascinated by Technology. Anything do with Technology, I'm all about it. I have other passions that I get really involved with like Architecture and Music and more, but I would say my Primary Special Interest would be Technology.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

Tom Hiddleston is my special interest. This man is absolute perfection. I mean... look at him:

Other than that, my interests are rather typical in terms of obsession. So, I relate to what you said above. I used to go through a lot of obsessions when I was a kid to my late teens, but I also grew out of my obsessive state as a I began maturing. I think it was mostly due to peer pressure of having friends get annoyed with me for only talking about one thing. I never gave them the chance to talk about what they wanted to, but I was young and stupid.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Nov 2014, 8:51 pm

My special interests used to be watching TV, playing video-games, listening to music, posting on forums, & my two ex girlfriends & another girl I heavily crushed on. I quit having special interests when I started taking a med for my OCD after realizing my OCD helped cause me to screw up both my previous relationships & have problems getting over them. My current girlfriend is a real strong interests & is stronger that the rest but she's not a special interest.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2014, 9:46 pm

I would say that my special interest is art, more specifically oil painting in realism style. I spend on average 8-10 hrs a day working at my easle or my pad drawing out my next painting. When I'm not doing that I am thinking about it. It also takes me weeks to produce one painting some times due to the level of detail I use.

I do try to talk about it to anyone who is interested, they always ask the same questions and then lose interest and want to move on to other subjects.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 10:09 pm

Hey Kicker,

I'm glad we could have a Socratic dialogue--even though our views of the efficacy of research studies seem diametrically opposed.

What kind of stuff do you paint?

I enjoy Representational Art, too.

I like Daliesque-surrealistic type of things.

But I hate "pure" "abstract" art.

As for my visual art abilities--Zero!

PS: I might write vernacularized--but underneath it all, I think I have at least 3/4's of a brain LOL

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

20 Nov 2014, 12:21 am

I can take every piece of your car apart, and put it back together. I drive like the wind. When it comes to cars, and motorcycles I can fix just about anything. It may work better than it ever did when you get it back. Advanced master auto tech, master engine machinist, blablabla. I'm about due for a new special interest. Now it is just about the money, and it's not very good.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2014, 12:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hey Kicker,

I'm glad we could have a Socratic dialogue--even though our views of the efficacy of research studies seem diametrically opposed.

What kind of stuff do you paint?

I enjoy Representational Art, too.

I like Daliesque-surrealistic type of things.

But I hate "pure" "abstract" art.

As for my visual art abilities--Zero!

PS: I might write vernacularized--but underneath it all, I think I have at least 3/4's of a brain LOL

It's a little tough to answer what I paint, as I paint what ever strikes my interest. I have copied a Vermeer as of late to practice some techniques, I've also painted an African woman and child that I found a picture of online. I painted a farm house from another picture and right now I'm doing a nude (doesn't show any parts you can't see on a public beach) of me as practice that I just started two days ago. Tomorrow I'm going to start a Xmas themed one to practice still life with some ornaments I have, while I wait for my "dead layer" to dry on the nude. Those are all the ones that I have done in the last two months.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 1:20 am

kicker wrote:
I would say that my special interest is art, more specifically oil painting in realism style. I spend on average 8-10 hrs a day working at my easle or my pad drawing out my next painting. When I'm not doing that I am thinking about it. It also takes me weeks to produce one painting some times due to the level of detail I use.

I do try to talk about it to anyone who is interested, they always ask the same questions and then lose interest and want to move on to other subjects.

I'd love to see your art. Any chance for a link of your portfolio?
by PM if you prefer

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2014, 1:55 am

slave wrote:
kicker wrote:

I'd love to see your art. Any chance for a link of your portfolio?
by PM if you prefer

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90419800@N00

They aren't all there, but a few of the ones I mentioned are. I'm self taught, the last art class I had was 8th grade. (Aka when Dinos roamed the earth and entertainment was watching wolves fight over a bone). I've been looking at art classes taught by local artists, but I haven't found one that matches my style or level yet. (Sorry if that's arrogant. I would just prefer to be taught by someone similar that's all). Oh most of them are done with cheap canvas and the photos are taken with my phone.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 3:19 am

Thanks, kicker.

Well done!

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2014, 3:33 am

It is not uncommon for aspies to not have all-consuming special interests.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 4:11 am

rugulach wrote:
It is not uncommon for aspies to not have all-consuming special interests.

I would like to expand upon this (my own opinion).

Special interests by DSM 5 definition are:

. Highly restricted/focused
. Perseverative/all encompassing

I see many Aspies mention that anime or video games are their special interest, and I struggle to differentiate these typical, broad interests from interests and obsessions common in the general population. My autistic friend has special interests that I can easily distinguish from what is typical.

Perhaps special interests are rarer than what is thought.

As my thoughts are only speculations with little scientific backup, I won't mention any more.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2014, 4:36 am

slave wrote:
Thanks, kicker.

Well done!

Thank you, though I feel like I still have a lot to learn and still need to hone my skills.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2014, 4:40 am

kicker wrote:
slave wrote:
Thanks, kicker.

Well done!

Thank you, though I feel like I still have a lot to learn and still need to hone my skills.

I have always envied people with skill like yours. My artistic ability is next to none. >.>

Whenever I attempt art, whether it be drawing/painting in real life or using a computer, I can't make anything remotely aesthetic unless I draw only rigid lines. For example, I will make a tree out of squares, a hexagonal sun etc.