Page 6 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:57 pm

Yep....I think btbnnyr wrote a great post, too.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

I didn't get given a severity level, but am just about certain I would have been classed as level 1. Personally I think the definitions given are rather vague and unclear. In the 'Mild' and 'Moderate' categories, what's the difference between 'atypical' and 'abnormal' responses to social overtures from others? In the 'Mild' category, what's the amazing support which enables the AS person to be able to communicate without impairments? Would love to know this, so I can finally connect with the human race.

Trouble with me is I seem okay on the surface. I don't have any stims I can't hide or just make it seem like normal fidgeting; I can talk reasonably okay in specific situations (i.e. talking to a professional, where they are doing most of the talking and asking of questions). But then if I'm so "mild", why have I never left home (except for a couple of brief and unsuccessful stints at university), had a relationship, found a job I could hold down for longer than a few weeks/months?

It's hard to explain. I'm no genius, but I'm not a thicko either. I had a couple of talents I might have been able to make a living out of, if office life wasn't for me (and it most certainly wasn't). I just feel like given my reasonable level of intelligence and the fact I don't have meltdowns in public which make people call the police out on me (apart from my dad... >_>), I should have done a bit better in life and am baffled and ashamed that I haven't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 9:11 pm

What talents do you have?

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm

I was good at drawing/painting and writing.

My dad was pretty much a mathematical prodigy, but none of his 4 children or 2 grandchildren have followed in his footsteps >_>.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:07 pm

You know there's a place where you could show your writing right here on WP?

Perhaps, you could get some good feedback.

I enjoy writing myself. I used to write quite a bit of poetry. Somebody compared me to Wallace Stevens once.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....I think btbnnyr wrote a great post, too.

I had a firefox crash and did not realize that it ate my comment.

It was something like:

[to btbnnyr]
Thanks for this perspective. It's really good to learn from someone who has so much practical experience.

I may have been mislead by the level 2 RRIB language that state behaviors must "appear frequently enough to be obvious to the casual observer" which would suggest that they would not be obvious to the casual observer in level 1. I have seen people with AS diagnoses at GRASP meetings whose RRIBs were immediately and markedly apparent, so I was thinking that would put them more toward level 2.

Maybe the successor to DSM 5 will include better guides to interpretation of the criteria, or some objectively measurable data.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:21 pm

Is there? Somewhere other than the posting box, I presume? :-/

I used to write the odd bit of poetry myself. I was mostly thinking of non-fictional writing, though, since, while I liked reading stories, I had no knack for thinking them up. I harbour a faint dream of writing short stories, but I still have to think of the plots first... <_<.

I'll look up a few Wallace Stevens poems, but I should be in bed right now, tbh: long day ahead tomorrow... :?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:23 pm

Of course, all diagnostic criteria are inherently imprecise.

I would interpret Level 2 as being a clinical state wherein autistic behaviors are still present DESPITE the presence of support. However, there is improvement in the ability to manage these behaviors.

I would interpret Level 1 as being a clinical state wherein autistic behaviors are mitigated, at least somewhat, by the presence of support.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 5:14 am

Adamantium wrote:
So I keep seeing this association between level 1 ASD and Aspergers and I keep feeling the need to correct that. In my research on ASD when my son was diagnosed, that in turn produced my strong suspicions about myself, that in turn resulted in my diagnosis, I repeatedly read that Aspergers was a spectrum with some highly functional independant people who nevertheless clearly showed the classic triad of impairments and some people who were profoundly dysfunctional and could not live without a great deal of support.

Based on that research, I feel compelled to reassert that It's just wrong to equate level 1 ASD and Aspergers.

Consider again the communication and RRIB requirements for level 2 ASD:

Quote:
Marked deficits in verbal and nonverbal social communication skills; social impairments apparent even with supports in place; limited initiation of social interactions; and reduced or abnormal responses to social overtures from others. For example, a person who speaks simple sentences, whose interaction is limited to narrow special interests, and who has markedly odd nonverbal communication.

Inflexibility of behavior, difficulty coping with change, or other restricted/repetitive behaviors appear frequently enough to be obvious to the casual observer and interfere with functioning in a variety of contexts. Distress and/or difficulty changing focus or action.

Many people with Aspergers have RRIB that are "obvious to the casual observer and interfere with functioning in a variety of contexts." Many people with Aspergers meet level 2 criteria for communication difficulties.

There are undoubtedly many people with an Aspergers diagnosis who meet level 1 criteria and also people with an Aspergers diagnosis who meet level 3 criteria, though the language criteria probably do make this a much smaller group.

But let's not be dishonest about an Aspergers diagnosis: it by no means signifies level 1 severity and there are many people with the diagnosis who are not functional without support.

Now that it is a colloquial word people can and are doing whatever the f**k they want with it. Now it is either a stereoytype for elitist/ablest/excuse maker/faker or a bright socially awkward person with no acknowledgement of the effort put into "passing" as almost "normal". You can see below what I was diagnosed with in 2013 just as the change happened so I was given both because nobody knew what was going to happen so ASD was thrown in with no level. Back then lot of people actually thought that Aspergers would be put back in the "DSM 5.1" . Now there is no mention of it. I am not at all the highest end so maybe I am a level 2 or more likely something in between 1 and 2. The word will always hold great emotional resonance for me as that was the word used when I found out I was on the Autism Spectrum and it was a diagnosis that described me well. Out of habit I will continue to use it but I know deep down it I know it only kind of is something that only kind of describes me these days. I have been metaphorically thrown out.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

Even with a bit of intensive support (social and life skills) I make slower steady progress. In my opinion, I should have Level 2 ASD. Except I speak more than simple sentences. Language use may be the deciding factor over RRIB.