For people that are spiritual,but not religious...

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2007, 11:29 pm

Let's see...

I've tried:

Christianity
Atheism
Wicca
Buddhism

It was...*thinks*...TWO months ago that I decided that I didn't and shouldn't fit into a specific religion and that I would just find my own PERSONAL beliefs that seemed logical and sensible to me.

Is anyone else here like that?

-SpaceCase

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 3:18 am

Yup.

I call my church the house of the seven leaves.

At communion, we all take a bud, and chew like chewing tobacco

Baptism is done with 'holy water' (I can imagine the smell)

Instead of ... in the name othe father the son etc Amen

It's in the name of the plant, the ligher, the smoke, the rolling paper, the water, the bowl and the cone. Let's smoke! while traversing the seven leaves with your left hand (cuase the lighter is in your right)

-nah I have quit!

my religion nowadays is science.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 10:19 am

Yes, I pursue the 'truth' as I believe religion gets in the way.

I don't care for Science at all either.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 10:24 am

How about just following agnosticism but with your own personal beliefs? That's what I'd do if I was that way. But I'm agnostic tending towards atheist with not a spiritual bone in my body, so your mileage may vary.

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2007, 12:43 pm

I became a Christian 35 years ago straight out of the Bible. I pretended the promises of God were real -- and then acted upon them. They worked. Jesus really is live and around.

I have healed hundreds of people through the prayer of faith in Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I have cast out innumerable demons by the authority of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

I have cast out Voodoo gods, Hindu gods, Egyptian gods and Babylonian gods. I have cast out Buddhist "blessings to mother earth" because they were simply demons they were pumping into the ground. Likewise Indian Shaman demons. The authority of Jesus Christ of Nazareth to command the gods of these other religions means he truly IS god's only messiah.

I deal with Christianity on my .website

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 2:07 pm

Corvus wrote:

I believe in the truth too, and I follow my own path. But, science I believe is neccessary. Many of these buddhist things like "awakening" you talk about, or even things like spirituality or ritual magick, can be explained scientifically, on a higher scale, I believe. It's energy flow. If you were to go to a magic training program somewhere, the first thing your instructor will teach you is that magic is all about energy flow. Energy is a scientific phenomenon. Everything can be explained scientifically, just people might not have obtained the scientific knowledge to understand all of it yet.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 3:27 pm

TimT wrote:
I became a Christian 35 years ago straight out of the Bible. I pretended the promises of God were real -- and then acted upon them. They worked. Jesus really is live and around.

I have healed hundreds of people through the prayer of faith in Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I have cast out innumerable demons by the authority of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

I have cast out Voodoo gods, Hindu gods, Egyptian gods and Babylonian gods. I have cast out Buddhist "blessings to mother earth" because they were simply demons they were pumping into the ground. Likewise Indian Shaman demons. The authority of Jesus Christ of Nazareth to command the gods of these other religions means he truly IS god's only messiah.

I deal with Christianity on my .website

We're not interested in hearing about that "Christians are the number one and if you aren't one then you're going to hell" s**t.

I have Christian friends that I love--and whom love me back. They do their thing,I do mine. Basically,I don't give a f*ck what you believe in or worship. Do what makes YOU happy.

What I HATE is when some holier-than-thou bible thumper tries to "convert" people that do not follow the faith. I mean,come ON! You don't give a s**t about us!

The reason why I know this is because I have a friend who--when he was 13 or 14--he was extremely depressed and confused,and he dresses in a fashion that is called "Goth". These idiots kept harrassing him to go to church,so he finally cracked and went. When he got there,the people were extremely rude to him,would tell thier kids to stay away from him,gossip about him,and point out all his "flaws"(I'm referring to his clothes and his make-up and music). He finally got tired of the BS and left.

I think that some Christians just want to feel all powerful and mighty.

Now,there are some good Christians out there,just like there are bad non-Christians. The bad non-christians need a good wake-up call,just like the bad christians do.

My point: Do your s**t,and we'll do ours. IF you NEED to talk to someone about Christ,make sure you don't appear like a hypocritical idiot like you did just then.

-SpaceCase

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2007, 6:14 pm

But I am spiritual but not religious. That is the topic for this string. Religion is where you have all these meaningless do's and don'ts that you have to do to be 'right'. My post didn't have any of that.

I have seen evil done by people in churches, too. I called around to find a church that would take a new Christian that came out of witchcraft. The only answer I got out of all the churches I called was, "But we are a 'family oriented' church; we don't get involved in heavy ministry like that." Fortunately, at that time, it was a hypothetical question. Later, when I had the real thing, I was able to find a church that loved her anyway and helped her & her family.

My sister is a Rei-ki master and I am a Christian. We love each other, but we are on opposite sides of the Great Divide. If she does incantations for me, they act as curses. If I pray to Jesus for her, they adversely affect her. The divine and the demonic just don't mix.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2007, 6:29 pm

snake321 wrote:
Corvus wrote:

I believe in the truth too, and I follow my own path. But, science I believe is neccessary. Many of these buddhist things like "awakening" you talk about, or even things like spirituality or ritual magick, can be explained scientifically, on a higher scale, I believe. It's energy flow. If you were to go to a magic training program somewhere, the first thing your instructor will teach you is that magic is all about energy flow. Energy is a scientific phenomenon. Everything can be explained scientifically, just people might not have obtained the scientific knowledge to understand all of it yet.

Well, I think explaining is one thing. But who cares? So what? I can explain everything in the world but all I am doing is talking. Proving something isnt the same as DOING it. In terms of awakening, the energy flow that science "could prove" was known WELL before science "discovered it" thousands of years later. That doesn't mean that 'awakening' doesn't exist, it just doesn't exist to those who don't do it. It doesnt exist because they don't feel it. It would be like describing to someone what 'love' feels like - you can't do it so people think it doesn't exist, they just see a bunch of morons with their eyes closed wasting time. I mean, come on, what else could they be doing? People RELY on science but science merely explains whats happening, it doesn't give you the feeling. Thats the difference between talk and experience. The more I talk about "Talk" versus "Doing" the more I take away from "talk" and the more I give to "do" or "reality."

This is my disgust for science. I believe beople love to read about it but they sure as hell are quick to not do any of it :)

earthdweller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2007, 10:02 am

I once responded to a post in these forums as this was where I used my wisdom of science but I did because someone was linking together stuff like "beleifs" and then to things that are in the realm of fantasy such as beleiving in the "tooth fairy" or beleving in "santa claus".

I see that religion can be founded on personal growth and sometimes morality. But this is, of course, not just beleiving things - its religion... Spirituality is different, however...

I also know the difference between science and spirituality etc...

At this moment, I see that many things in life don't seem to need to be "proved" or whatever because life is plentiful of things that are about "doing" so I agree with that. You only are required to pay the bills, cash the pay-check, and eat and sleep.

But when someone is speaking of religion and that it has to do with threats, I see that this is political. Is religion political or is it just easily abused as political? This also relates to creating technologies that is based on scientific discoveries. For the reason that we are victims of "conveniance" or the sake of the greedy economy and things that will "fix" our lives, we may tend to use technology in a greedy and political prospect.

So if there was some kind of system of logic to politics then perhaps it could be integrated into religion or whatever so that people can be a little more objective. Science was just an example of the use of logic / being objective etc.

The way that I explained science was as a tool to help make decisions and how to study things. I didn't say that it was just "proving" things and just talking - I explained that it was about studying things but, ya, not what to do with them. We make those decisions. Anyways, decisions take logic to some degree - most of the time perhaps we just know it unconciously.

(I also notice how so many aspies here pay a lot of attention to things that actually are political.)

I see that explaining things seems to resolve differences between people so that things are not always political. For example, if nobody explained the brain damaging addiction that methamphetamine can cause, then people who want to get high from that kind of stuff are falling into a terrible pitfall. This creates a much bigger problem for the individual, their relationships, and their responsibilities.

There is also a time for politics unless we can advance in understanding things further and politics is defienetly not in my favorite subjects. The way I understand poltics is that it is about government and government relates to a consensus teaching tool that has to do with making up laws. There are no explaination of these laws, the consitution, or whatever other than the subjective understanding of morality.

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2007, 3:59 pm

In the spiritual realm, things can't be proved by the traditional scientific method of "repeatable, isolatible, verifiable". But what can be done is the legal/historical method which is based on statistical inference.

When I pray for a large number of people and see a high percentage of them healed, that gives me a high "confidence" factor that there is a definite correlation. To remove the bias of the placebo effect, I have a special category for people I have prayed for that didn't know they were being prayed for. I keep track of the date/time, so as to relatively isolate my effort from that of someone else who might pray for them as well.

Unfortunately, there are living beings out in the spiritual realm. One evidence I have of that is instances of ghosts and poltergeist phenomena that several people have seen simultaneously who were not looking for them. That rules out power of suggestion and insanity. Another evidence I have is instances of people who have typical symptoms of oppression that lift the moment I (or someone else) commands evil influences to leave them without their knowledge. Again, that eliminates the power of suggestion as an influence.

Spirit beings add another level of complication to learning about the spiritual realm. They can make correlations happen that don't happen naturally. If they are moronic and disorganized, they would be nuisances, a "noise" factor in our analyses. If they are intelligent and organized (as the Bible says thy are), they can flim flam the brightest person, especially since we are operating 'blind' in this realm.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 5:02 pm

TimT wrote:
In the spiritual realm, things can't be proved by the traditional scientific method of "repeatable, isolatible, verifiable". But what can be done is the legal/historical method which is based on statistical inference.

When I pray for a large number of people and see a high percentage of them healed, that gives me a high "confidence" factor that there is a definite correlation. To remove the bias of the placebo effect, I have a special category for people I have prayed for that didn't know they were being prayed for. I keep track of the date/time, so as to relatively isolate my effort from that of someone else who might pray for them as well.

Unfortunately, there are living beings out in the spiritual realm. One evidence I have of that is instances of ghosts and poltergeist phenomena that several people have seen simultaneously who were not looking for them. That rules out power of suggestion and insanity. Another evidence I have is instances of people who have typical symptoms of oppression that lift the moment I (or someone else) commands evil influences to leave them without their knowledge. Again, that eliminates the power of suggestion as an influence.

Spirit beings add another level of complication to learning about the spiritual realm. They can make correlations happen that don't happen naturally. If they are moronic and disorganized, they would be nuisances, a "noise" factor in our analyses. If they are intelligent and organized (as the Bible says thy are), they can flim flam the brightest person, especially since we are operating 'blind' in this realm.

Before the last few years, I would have never said there was no power in prayer. I, too, have prayed for specific individuals and have seen a turn around, no matter how small. One of my last ones had me praying that someone I know 'walk with her head up' as she had seemed down, from my observation of body language (I thought she should, shows confidence :) ). The next day was the first day I had talked to her in months - she had her head up - ya, not a very huge big deal and it could be coincidental but I do not believe in coincidences, these days. It could have been anything but the timing was just a bit too good.

Either way, prayer is something I plan on doing more of during my meditations.

TimT
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2007, 7:21 pm

Yay God! Good place to start.

If you'd like pointers on how to pray more effectively, you might go out to my website.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2007, 8:03 pm

TimT wrote:
Yay God! Good place to start.

If you'd like pointers on how to pray more effectively, you might go out to my website.

I have a book - Guide to meditation, basically - it has forms from all sorts of backgrounds :D

I can always see more

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 12:44 am

I have no interest in religion as such, but have developed my own belief system over the last 7 or so years. Spiritual things have been an interest/obsession of mine since I was a young teen. I would say more, but I am far too tired and I anticipate someone jumping on me if I don't word everything in some sort of a scientific manner. I always preferred talking about this sort of thing one to one anyways.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2007, 12:50 am

TimT: Leave them be, I may disagree with them about the existence of spirits and a realm beyond this one but they are still my brothers and sisters since they are atheists and agnostics.

Besides, demons are awesome because they hand out crack and stuff.