Blue Jay

24 Nov 2014, 9:02 am

No I don't own one but I do want one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 9:54 am

I use both a tablet and a smart phone.

My typing speed is much slower within a tablet/smart phone than on a laptop/desktop/typewriter.

I'm glad I've been able to post using my smart phone--this was not possible within the old Site.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

I hated them until I'd messed with one for a while. It's no replacement for a proper operating system IMO, and the learning curve was rather painful, but I was surprised how well it did stuff such as pictures, movies and music, once I got used to the weird way it works. Much depends on how good the "apps" are (I hate that they've turned that into a teenbeat word for "programs." I stopped using the word when I realised they'd done that).

The tablet could initially play .mp4 movies but not .mpg or .flv. The movie title wasn't displayed in the playlist, just a still from the movie.

I like how it can be connected to a proper computer for file transfer via USB, but would love a proper USB socket for connecting peripherals such as a pen drive or a high-quality Webcam.

I hate how every time I get an email from an ipad user, it says "sent from my ipad" at the bottom of the message. Get your ads out of my face. :evil:

The battery is very impressive but once it's kaput, the entire tablet is useless. To me, that's a very dirty trick. I like to look after things and make them last.

Tablets are fun but they don't seem to do anything that a proper computer can't do. For serious work such as multi-track sound processing and video work, I use old PCs, and if I need to be portable I use a netbook with Intel Atom and WinXP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_N130

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

I might use one if I had one but I'm uninterested in purchasing one. I like my laptop better. But what about mobility!? I use my android phone if I don't want to bring my laptop.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm

I mostly just use my iPhone 6. I actually type better on it. My laptop keyboard occasionally sticks, so I often have to slam on keys just to get it to type stuff.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

Man oh man oh man. Even if I won the lottery, I'm never buying an Apple product out of principle after what happened today - dreadful company! -_-

(Yes, this is the cue for a long rant. Feel free to scroll past it.)

Probably nobody remembers, but in my first post in this topic I mentioned my mum's friend's borked iPad 2. It's been having problems for ages and has had about 20 password resets by different people. Nothing worked, the thing was f**ked. As my mum's friend and her husband were coming over to dinner yesterday, I suggested she bring over her iPad so I could try factory resetting the thing to its default state.

She agreed, and I managed to factory reset it. What I couldn't do was set it up, because the iPad is still locked to my mum's friend's Apple ID. I couldn't unlock it, because there was no way in this universe or the next one I could log into the Apple store or iCloud to delete the Apple ID and start over.

There was no escaping it: somebody was going to have to talk to an actual human being. It was agreed that it would be me. I loathe talking on the phone, but felt guilty for turning this woman's iPad into a £400 brick.

I still haven't got over the trauma of getting in touch with Apple. My mum did the initial calling (of our nearest Apple store). She got put through to a machine: for 10 minutes she was talking loudly to this machine and trying to reason with it - all the poor woman wanted to do was speak to a human. Eventually she got put into a queue, where the most godawful racket was played. She endured it for about 20 minutes, then I told her to put the phone on loudspeaker and take a break. Still nobody answered. This must've gone on for about an hour.

While this was going on I looked into scheduling a phone call on the Apple website. The nearest date given was the 1st Dember - a week away! Yeah, no.

In the event I was lucky and somebody did eventually pick up. To be fair, the guy was pretty helpful. Somebody from the Apple store is going to call my mum's friend at 12pm tomorrow. It has to be her they speak to as well and nobody else - not even her husband, who originally bought the iPad for her!

Dreadful company. Yeah, the staff seem good when you finally get to speak to somebody, but the company is more bureaucratic than a fomer USSR small country. And why they can't employ some more staff? Obviously would make too much of a dent in Apple's yearly profits - they'd only make 4.95 trillion dollars instead of 5 trillion, or whatever.

/rant

Thread derail over. You may resume normal conversation now :p

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

I've got a 1st gen iPad that I love to death, but it's extremely slow and outdated. I mainly use it to save pictures from my Tumblr on now, just to have them to look at.

I'd love to get a brand new one, though.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 2:03 am

I prefer using a desktop PC, given the display size.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 10:19 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
right now I can't use my tablet at all because the adapter recharger broke for maybe the tenth time. It costs 30 dollars to get a new adapter each time, which is the cheapest I've seen, but now I can't find one anywhere. The batteries wear out so quickly. Maybe it's the design of the tablet that's the problem and I should have gotten an iPod instead. :?

Most tablets can be recharged via USB cable.
My mobile phone adapter broke and since I have the same problem with buying one I use tablets PowerToUSB adapter or my computer USB port depending what device I need to be recharged faster (I need to charge both every 1-3 days in random intervals and it often happens I have to recharge both same time, both can use the tablets adapter and computer USB port).
USB charging is slower(0,5A is not 1,5A) but does the trick just as well as the adapter.

noodler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2014, 12:15 pm

I've never owned any kind of tablet or smart phone. We still have a land line and I carry a trackphone in case of emergency when I'm out. I don't even give out my cell number to people because I only turn it on when I leave the house. Plus, I share it with my parents. I'm so thankful that my dad bought this desktop. I love typing on a keyboard. Plus, I don't think I could play my favorite game (GTR-2) on anything else. My friend has spent tons of money going through apple stuff as they can't be upgraded. They should make the i stuff recyclable.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

Could care less about my smartphone but I love using my tablet. I have an HP Slate and it's the cats meow! :D

SmokedFool
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Dec 2014, 7:54 pm

I use a MS Surface Pro, all the ease of use of a tablet and the power of a PC.