Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2007, 12:17 am

What's going on with mercury and fish? I only got part of the news article. Can I eat my cans of tuna? Should I ditch them? sheesh, there goes the last cheap food.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

09 Mar 2007, 12:52 am

Claradoon wrote:
What's going on with mercury and fish? I only got part of the news article. Can I eat my cans of tuna? Should I ditch them? sheesh, there goes the last cheap food.
ahhahahaha

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2007, 1:01 am

Tuna's eat other fish. This means they can have higher level of mercury in them. What the most recent posting were say is that woman when carrying a kid in them sould eat little to no tuna, so their kid does not get higher levels of mercury. As for most other humans i guess we can handle it better than a kid ? More body mass i guess.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 3:14 am

V111 wrote:
Tuna's eat other fish. This means they can have higher level of mercury in them. What the most recent posting were say is that woman when carrying a kid in them sould eat little to no tuna, so their kid does not get higher levels of mercury. As for most other humans i guess we can handle it better than a kid ? More body mass i guess.

Not really. The danger with mercury is it where the body absorbs it: in fat cells. This makes it very difficult for the body to get rid of it. That's why you should only eat swordfish once every 6 months. Interestingly enough, mercury in its pure form is safe and does not dissolve if ingested. Before we knew how dangerous it could be, it was even used to remedy constipation! The vapors and many mercury compounds are VERY poisonous however.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 3:17 am

Is it true that the mercury levels are lower when you buy fish from a farm? Heh?

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 3:36 am

Starbuline wrote:
Is it true that the mercury levels are lower when you buy fish from a farm? Heh?

Yes and no. Most fish from a farm are freshwater. Freshwater fish have less mercury in them right from the start. It is impossible to aquaculture big fish like tuna and swordfish, so I don't know if the same applies towards saltwater.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Mar 2007, 5:59 am

FAT cells???? Is there a connection between this and overweight?

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2007, 12:39 pm

Here is a link about the fish warning.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story ... 38,00.html
Note it says it can cause health problems in adults.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 1:47 pm

Claradoon wrote:
FAT cells???? Is there a connection between this and overweight?

Not really. Everyone has them. It's just really hard for the body to purge toxins stored in fat. Toxins stored in water, such as toluene of alcohol are easily passed out of the body in urine, usually within a few hours. Fat stored toxins take a VERY long time to be pass through urine, and can take months or even years.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 2:30 pm

Starbuline wrote:

From what I understand with salmon you actually have MORE mercury in the farmed fish.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

09 Mar 2007, 3:47 pm

I take fish oil and rarely eat any fish products other than that. The oil claims to be purified. Vacuum distillation would remove most the mercury.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 2:19 am

has to do with food chains and bioaccumulation.

animals eat stuff containing small amounts of mercury... then andimals eat (lots of) them... and then a bigger animal eats lots of the next higher animal (and all that mercury).... til it accumulates at the top of the food chain in big predatory fish like salmon/tuna/and blah blah blah....

we tend to eat all the kings of the food chain, so they've amassed lots of mercury in their diet.

and yeah, you're not supposed to eat lots of fish like that if you're prego. or too too much at all or you can get metal poisoning... but you gotta eat a lot.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Mar 2007, 6:58 am

sheesh, wouldn't you know it. i'm vegetarian but recently added tuna to my diet, since it's cheap and fish is supposed to be so good for us! okay, where's the tofu. :roll: