Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

Anyone here likes to travel? Do you have any issues with airports and going through security or sitting in a certain cabin on board a plane? If you do like traveling, do you often travel with your family? If you are only child and/or unmarried, do you travel with your parents? Do you all travel first class or business class and/or stay at 4-5 star hotels? I have very poor social life, so I mainly travel with my parents. I am an only child and never married. Is it wrong to travel with parents when one is in their 30s? My parents will be celebrating their anniversary in Jan after over 30 years of marriage.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 1:24 pm

I don't mind being on a plane, but the whole process at the airport is stressful, and I get homesick easily. I hate leaving my room.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

I like traveling, but I don't like the process of travel. Airports, airplanes, buses, long car rides...they make me uncomfortable, but arriving in a new place more than makes up for it. I feel less stressed and happier when I'm in another state or country. I wish I could do it more often.

Eir
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Nov 2014, 3:36 pm

Why would it be wrong to travel with your parents? Becoming an adult doesn't mean you have to stop doing things with your family. I regularly travel with my parents and other family members because, you know, they're nice folks and good company and I like spending time with them. I also often travel alone. Airports etc. can be confusing, so I compensate by being somewhat OCD about travel documents, time tables, etc. Also I'm shameless about asking for help. Regular exposure has certainly made it a lot easier to navigate and deal with unfamiliar places. I usually travel as cheaply as possible, so economy class and student hostels. 3 star hotels if it's for work or someone else is paying expenses.

Edit: On planes I try to get seats somewhere in front, so it takes less time to get out. The convulsing mass of humanity trying to push out of the plane as quickly as possible is pretty much the worst part of air travel for me. I also prefer aisle seats as I feel less confined when I can get up whenever I wish.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2014, 8:38 am

luvsterriers wrote:
Anyone here likes to travel?
I wouldn't say I 'like' to, but I often 'have' to

luvsterriers wrote:
Do you have any issues with airports and going through security or sitting in a certain cabin on board a plane?
Yes

luvsterriers wrote:
If you are only child and/or unmarried, do you travel with your parents?
No

luvsterriers wrote:
Do you all travel first class or business class
Neither

luvsterriers wrote:
and/or stay at 4-5 star hotels?
No

luvsterriers wrote:
Is it wrong to travel with parents when one is in their 30s?
'Wrong'? It's wrong if you think it's wrong. Otherwise, no. Of course it isn't 'wrong', but if you think it's wrong, someone else telling you it isn't wrong won't make a difference to you. 'Right/wrong' imply an external/hierarchical system of judgement: who's judging?

Naturalist
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 10:09 am

I enjoy exploring interesting places, but I have a lot of anxiety preparing for trips and in the airport. I am usually okay once I have something stable to focus on. I hate airports, there are too many things happening. I prefer to ride trains.

It is good to travel with someone who can give you some support and understanding when you are anxious. I once went to England and Scotland on my own for six weeks and although it was very empowering, it was occasionally very stressful to feel anxious and not have anyone nearby who cared about me, who could help me sort out information when I was overwhelmed.