Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:03 am

I'm excited for the boy and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:15 am

I have a ton of Lego. I use them all the time.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:30 am

slave wrote:
I know a guy that has well over $200 000 USD worth of LEGO that he will admit to. He has spent a lot more than that but is reluctant to say how much. He rents several commercial locations to store it all.

Cool!
slave wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
a $1,058 per fortnight pension at the same time (and no income tax on either) :D

Wow....how are you receiving a pension when you are soooooo young?!?!

Not all pensions are old age pensions.
slave wrote:
when you get this new career underway will you get to keep receiving the pension?

No. The pension will stop if I work more than 30 hours per week.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:56 am

I LOVE Lego! I was obsessed with the old Technic sets of the '90s (I'm not a fan of the new technic sets). I loved making complex mechanical contraptions, like motorized, legged walking robots, mechanical arms, ect. I REALLY wish I still had all of them :(

I'd nominate Lego as the best toy ever!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

I could never manage to make anything with Legos. :( Probably because of visual-spatial issues. I would just sort them and snap all of the similar pieces together in stacks, then stack the stacks.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

I have fond memories of playing LEGO with my brother and our friend from daycare. My brother was like a mini engineer; he's always had a knack for building things, so that was his area. I'm awful at building things, and never had much interest in it.

Instead, I loved to create new characters and invent elaborate back stories for all of them. I knew each character's name, what Hogwarts House they were in (my LEGO world was/is based off of Harry Potter), who their family members were, what their personality was like, etc.

I'd like to say that my brother's building talents and my writer's imagination blended together in perfect harmony, but I don't know whether I really told him much about my characters. I remember using a couple of his buildings for Hogwarts, but I guess I mostly kept to myself.

I'm still creating new characters and adding more depth to their personalities and past. I've got a file on Google Drive dedicated to just LEGO stuff. It's harder to actually build new characters, because it's really difficult to find a LEGO set these days that just has people, and they're always really expensive. The LEGOs I have are probably about twenty years old now. But I'm definitely more into creating stories than actually building them.

Still, LEGOs were a really big part of my childhood.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 2:53 pm

[quote="RetroGamer87"]Yes, I think I will probably get a job. They say if they hire me permanently I'll start in mid January (more training at first). They also hinted at the possibility of later promotion, the chance to earn internal qualifications, etc.

It sounds promising. Impress the pants off them. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Fibbox
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2014, 5:45 pm

I'll probably have an aversion for lego for a long time to come because today at work i had to disassemble a 1:300 scale of the Eiffel Tower which i built and freakin' 'ell your hands get numb real quick and i scraped the skin off my index fingers and cut my right middle finger on a brick.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 3:38 am

JitakuKeibiinB wrote:
I could never manage to make anything with Legos. :( Probably because of visual-spatial issues. I would just sort them and snap all of the similar pieces together in stacks, then stack the stacks.

Me too!

aradesh
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2015, 9:41 am

I love lego. I haven't bought any in a long time (since I was about 19 I think) but I have recently rediscovered my love for it.

When I was a kid I would get only lego for christmas and my birthday. And every penny of my pocket money, plus any loose change I could get my relatives and family friends to donate to me got spent on lego :D

I liked the old Technic sets too. I had a black and yellow racing car, and a space shuttle.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2015, 12:56 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
slave wrote:
I know a guy that has well over $200 000 USD worth of LEGO that he will admit to. He has spent a lot more than that but is reluctant to say how much. He rents several commercial locations to store it all.

Cool!
slave wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
a $1,058 per fortnight pension at the same time (and no income tax on either) :D

Wow....how are you receiving a pension when you are soooooo young?!?!

Not all pensions are old age pensions.
slave wrote:
when you get this new career underway will you get to keep receiving the pension?

No. The pension will stop if I work more than 30 hours per week.

Not all pensions are old age pensions. ik

I'm glad for you. :D

Be well.