Write your 3 positives about being on the spectrum

Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:23 pm

Here are mine:

being on the spectrum -

helps me understand, support and guide my children and grandchildren as they face difficulties that I faced;

sharpened my affinity with the natural world and animals particularly;

endowed me with analytical, observational and writing skills that have been of immense practical, personal and professional value.

MrMensch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2014, 10:50 pm

I've only recently been formally diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, so I'm still working out what I think about life on the spectrum (and what is or isn't a trait) but here goes:

Being on the spectrum:

Makes me very observant, analytical and able to notice things that others miss.

Enables me to empathise with other people on the margins of 'normality'

And like B19 above, it gives me a real affinity with animals. I seem to read their moods better than most and am able to make friends with cats and dogs which their owners say never warm to strangers.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm

MrMensch wrote:
I've only recently been formally diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, so I'm still working out what I think about life on the spectrum (and what is or isn't a trait) but here goes:

And like B19 above, it gives me a real affinity with animals. I seem to read their moods better than most and am able to make friends with cats and dogs which their owners say never warm to strangers.

How curious that you wrote that. I have had exactly the same experience. Even with a few dogs considered to be dangerous to strangers...

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 11:08 pm

1. I have excellent written expression abilities. I can use writing as a way to express myself.
2. I can listen to things using my ears. I don't have to be watching something to know what is going on.

I could only name two of them. D: I tried to think of a third one, but it was really hard.

MrMensch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2014, 11:12 pm

B19 wrote:
MrMensch wrote:

How curious that you wrote that. I have had exactly the same experience. Even with a few dogs considered to be dangerous to strangers...

I imagine you must be a patient soul. For me, it's all about moving calmly and slowly around animals and watching for subtle signs of acceptance or nervousness. I wish negotiating social functions or networking was as straightforward!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 11:50 pm

I have an appreciation for music that has taking a lot of alone time to cultivate, because I had that time during my youth to cultivate that appreciation.

I feel a lot of empathy for people who are different from the mainstream.

I'm not afraid to be myself.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:32 am

1. I have excellent practical problem solving skills. I used this skill today at work to solve a problem others were having difficulty with and someone asked, "Who thought of that? That's a really good idea." When I was pointed out I replied, "Well, I'm not autistic for nothing!" And everyone laughed. The thing is, the solution seems really obvious to me.
2. I have excellent written communication skills. People often come to me for help with writing or they ask me how to word professional correspondence. I've been told my writing is very clear and organised.
3. I'm exceedingly patient. I can wait out anything. I can suffer fools endlessly. I can put up with discomfort indefinitely. I have the patience to work with young people who are non-verbal and very low functioning.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:39 am

I particularly admire your patience, as it is not a plus that I have yet achieved!

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Nov 2014, 2:26 am

For me, a NOSie, I would say: abstract intelligence, concentration, energy, and dedication for subjects of interest. However, due to the negatives of having autism, these plusses tend to fall a bit.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 2:53 am

I have a pretty good memory

That's pretty much the only one I can ascribe to the ASD (good rote memory).

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 3:58 am

I have many cat mannerisms.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 6:54 am

1. I could use my experiences being autistic to understand others who are autistic.

2. Now I have an excuse to read my book, rather than float around like a social butterfly.

3. My ideas float around in a peripheral sense, thereby attracting what is within that "periphery." Through osmotic
processes, the core of my being, as a result, becomes enhanced.

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 6:59 am

Weird I'm in the middle of composing a blog post on this about the positives I find in my sons autism

1- He will never be boring. I think it must be absolutely dreadful to have child that's a bit dull and uninteresting. I'm sure most people manage to convince themselves that their kids are really interesting but lets face it the law of averages dictates that most kids are pretty average and somewhat uniform. My son will never in a million years ever be described as uninteresting. He's fascinating, enigmatic and just, well, a very interesting little chap.

2- He's a cat not a dog. Most kids are like eager puppies desperate for adult attention. Its pretty easy to engage with children, you just get down on their level and muck about a bit and they lap it up. No so with my boy. You need to work for it with him, if you are not making enough of an effort to get into his world he will just ignore you like an aloof cat. But if you do get in to his world then he will reward you with affection and incredible levels of contact. This makes it so much more rewarding. Most kids are just attention whores and I love the fact that my son is a cat not a dog.

3- He is pure. Even at the age of 4 1/2 most kids have learned to be nasty, mean and how to manipulate others. I see this already in my NT 2 year old already. But my eldest does not have this malice or cunning. This is a wonderful and beautiful thing as it gives him a purity of spirit that we only really see in babies and toddler. At the same time this makes him very vulnerable to his more cunning peers. But I love the fact that with him there is not deciet, what you see is what you get, if he is upset he cries if he is happy he smiles. He never tries to manipulate anyone because I don't think it even occurs to him to try! Contrast this with his younger brother, who is already a master of playing one parent off against the other or being an absolute angel for his grandma and then turning utterly vile as soon as I turn up!

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:07 am

evilreligion wrote:
Weird I'm in the middle of composing a blog post on this about the positives I find in my sons autism

1- He will never be boring. I think it must be absolutely dreadful to have child that's a bit dull and uninteresting. I'm sure most people manage to convince themselves that their kids are really interesting but lets face it the law of averages dictates that most kids are pretty average and somewhat uniform. My son will never in a million years ever be described as uninteresting. He's fascinating, enigmatic and just, well, a very interesting little chap.

2- He's a cat not a dog. Most kids are like eager puppies desperate for adult attention. Its pretty easy to engage with children, you just get down on their level and muck about a bit and they lap it up. No so with my boy. You need to work for it with him, if you are not making enough of an effort to get into his world he will just ignore you like an aloof cat. But if you do get in to his world then he will reward you with affection and incredible levels of contact. This makes it so much more rewarding. Most kids are just attention whores and I love the fact that my son is a cat not a dog.

3- He is pure. Even at the age of 4 1/2 most kids have learned to be nasty, mean and how to manipulate others. I see this already in my NT 2 year old already. But my eldest does not have this malice or cunning. This is a wonderful and beautiful thing as it gives him a purity of spirit that we only really see in babies and toddler. At the same time this makes him very vulnerable to his more cunning peers. But I love the fact that with him there is not deciet, what you see is what you get, if he is upset he cries if he is happy he smiles. He never tries to manipulate anyone because I don't think it even occurs to him to try! Contrast this with his younger brother, who is already a master of playing one parent off against the other or being an absolute angel for his grandma and then turning utterly vile as soon as I turn up!

I know that you're trying to be nice, but I'd be offended if people described me like this.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 7:14 am

No doubt you have your reasons, DevilKisses.

I found it a pretty exact description of one of my twin grandsons, aged 7. His fraternal twin brother is NT. They are cat and dog. The "cat" still has a beautiful innocence, and lack of guile; the little "dog" has become cunning and you can see the strategising going on in his head toward the main chance. Their smiles reflect this difference too. There is a gentleness in one that the other never really had.

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 9:00 am

DevilKisses wrote:
I know that you're trying to be nice, but I'd be offended if people described me like this.

Please elaborate.

I am saying my son is interesting, independent and pure of spirit. I am curious as to how you or anyone would find offence in that?