Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fruglepug
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2014, 5:25 pm

Yoho,

the (possible) subject of my master thesis is whether music therapy can be used effectively in improving social skills among people with autism. Is there any experiences/opinions out there?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:46 am

I doubt this is the application you're looking for anecdotes of… but:

During times of extremely high anxiety, some depression, and other AS symptoms I had my headphones in nearly 24/7 near the lowest volume setting. My radio was tuned to the local "happy hippy" station with fairly calming pleasant music. I found it helped tremendously when I needed it. I would leave my headphones in while carrying on conversations with others as that bit of background music on low volume was enough to reduce my anxiety to a manageable level so that I could carry on said conversation.

So, yeah, in my experience music is therapy & it does benefit one's social interactions and thus social skills.

Can't really relate to spending time with a music therapist and then observing the results afterwards as I've never really done anything formal like that. I simply used music as I felt the need for it & it helped.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:51 am

At the suggestion of a therapist, I spent a long time looking for particular types of music which would help regulate my moods. There are certain genres which "level me out" when I'm either too manic or too depressive, but I don't know how much it helps the symptoms of my AS.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

When I was in my teens and my anxiety was really bad my doctor had me use music therapy to help with the anxiety and it helped me quite a bit to calm down and get back to a better level of functioning.