What are your top 5 movies? (relevant)

Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

agwood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Nov 2014, 3:41 pm

I recently was at a small meeting in my local town, and met a guy who clearly had Aspergers. The minute we started talking, he bombarded me with the ins-and-outs of his love of cinema and a cinema he used to own (he had the newspaper clippings & everything).
So I asked him what his favourite movie was, and he said: ''2001: A Space Odyssey''. This didn't surprise me, as Stanley Kubrick is easily one of the most recognisable public figures with ASD, and it certainly shows in 2001!

So I'd like to ask, what are your top movies of all time? And if possible to explain, why are they your favourites?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Nov 2014, 3:58 pm

Interesting story, agwood.

Normally we talk about films in the Film and Television forum. It gets just like you'd imagine a discussion between autistic people about films would get in there...

My favourite film maker is Christopher Nolan, who is married with four children having met his wife aged 19. Probably not autistic.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:20 pm

My favorite movie is Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
The Jason Bourne Series {including The Bourne Legacy}
The Harry Potter Series
The Spider-Man Series
The Dark Knight Trilogy

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 5:55 pm

Its been a very long time since the last time I watched a movie and I rarely do, but there are two movies that I watched and liked: Kingdom of Heaven (2005) and Thor (2011).

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

I didn't care much for Space Oddity, thought it was a bit odd, perhaps i was just too young to understand it.

My favs are Star Wars (first three), and Back to the Future series.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

Uranus wrote:
I didn't care much for Space Oddity, thought it was a bit odd, perhaps i was just too young to understand it.

Calling Major Tom? I think you meant "Odyssey". :P

I acknowledge '2001' as a masterwork, but it's one of those films that you respect as art more than you actually enjoy watching it. I'd sooner watch any of Kubrick's other films before that one. Also, I thought '2010: The Year We Make Contact' was criminally underrated.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 6:25 pm

I mostly like Miyazaki movies; don't think it had much to do with autism, except for the tendency of aspies to like anime of course. Castle in the sky is the most beautiful adventure movie I ever seen.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 6:45 pm

Schindler's List (1993) [best made movie]
Lawrence of Arabia (1962) [most satisfying movie]
The Hobbit (2012-2014) [most satisfying fantasy-movie series]
The Lord of the Rings (2001-2003) [best made fantasy-movie series]
Bourne films (2002-2012) [best made action-movie series]

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 6:48 pm

My favorite movies:

1. "American Graffiti" (1973)

2. "Airport (1970)

3. "Sounder" (1972, I believe)

4. "Back to the Future" (1985)

5. "Saturday Night Fever" (1977)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 8:23 pm

Uranus wrote:
I didn't care much for Space Oddity, thought it was a bit odd

2001: A Space Odyssey was definitely odd!

My fave five movies? Oh boy.... 5 aren't enough! Maybe these:

Invasion of the body snatchers (1978 version)
Finding Nemo or Sammy’s Adventure/A Turtle’s Tale (I can’t choose)
My wife is a gangster
TMNT
Lassie come home

I can’t honestly say that I prefer the titles above to The sixth sense, Empty rooms, Final destination, Bedeviled, the other Lassie movies, TMNT Forever, Hotel Transylvania, Cars, Planes, Brave, Wall-E, When the wind blows, Testament, Airport '80: Concorde, and the Cold Prey series, Rovdyr and Dead snow.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

In no particular order:

2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick 1968)
Monsieur Verdoux (Charles Chaplin 1947)
Le Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir 1937)
The Earrings of Madame De (Max Ophuls 1952)
The Searchers (John Ford 1956)

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:29 pm

The Fountain

To me it's about how the purity and love inside of us transcends life itself. That death is not something to be feared. That there is immense beauty in the universe and we are and we become part of that.

Phoebe In Wonderland

Perhaps the most relatable film for me. All the characters are handled perfectly. I relate to Phoebe's struggle as well as her happiness when she gets lost in Wonderland.

A Walk To Remember

Very few films have such a deeply lovable character of faith as Jamie. In her eyes you see faith for all the wonder and light that it can be. I don't say this so much as a Christian but one who admires true and hopeful faith in all things.

Twilight

This series is about giving others a chance and willing to see the good in them. Even if they don't see it themselves. It's about how broken and different people can still form a family.

The Lord Of The Rings

Few series can get you as lost in imagination as The Lord Of The Rings. Out of those none can match the scope and conquest against evil or the central brotherhood at the heart of the story.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:31 pm

Thor
Thor 2
The Avengers
The Pirate Fairy

These are my favorites because well... Tom Hiddleston. <3

As for my fifth favorite movie, that's hard to pick. I have so many favorite movies that I can't name just five.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

1 - Bladerunner - because from a young age, I identified with and had an interest in, the replicants. It got me researching into AI a bit more. It also just reflects my beliefs that the created can end up having more humanity than the creators themselves. Frankenstein has a similar theme.

2) The Lion In Winter - Just an amusing, very well casted and well acted film about Henry II and Eleanor Of Aquitaine.

3) Harry Potter Films - Hp was a years long special interest of mine. I had an intense interest in the character of Snape from the first book and had little interest in any of the other characters really.

4) - Stigmata - Just something about it fascinates me, I love the music and it got me interested in the gospel of St Thomas.

5) - Chronicles Of Narnia - brings me comfort, is an escape, and I like the various themes in it, especially that of the child = imagination, adult = loss of imagination. (I am too tired to word it more proficiently.

Have to also make an honourable mention of 'Optimist Of The Nine Elms', a little known British Peter Sellers film set in 60s London.

Last edited by Graelwyn on 28 Nov 2014, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 9:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My favorite movies:

1. "American Graffiti" (1973)

2. "Airport (1970)

3. "Sounder" (1972, I believe)

4. "Back to the Future" (1985)

5. "Saturday Night Fever" (1977)

Gosh, Sounder, there is a blast from the past. I have not seen that in a long time, but used to love it.
I had totally forgotten it.