First date discussion topics?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 7:18 am

Been chatting online with someone for a couple weeks. Hoping it turns into a first date soon. (We're planning on that, but it hasn't happened yet, sooo I'm hoping that we both follow through and it happens.)

I usually have NO problem talking to anyone about anything. We do have some common interests to discuss. But still, I figured I'd post here and ask what others suggest are ideal topics of discussion - a backup plan of sorts of things to discuss should my mind go blank for any reason. I'm especially interested in hearing what sorts of things have been consistent hits when it comes to discussions for those of you that have had many first dates and learned what things have consistently worked out as good conversation topics. I suppose I'm equally as open to hearing what sorts of things might have been terrible choices of topic discussions, but I think I'm pretty good with what not to talk about.

Of course it's going to depend entirely on the two people having a conversation, I know, but in general I'm sure there are several common first date conversation topics that others have found get a positive engaging response from their date. Those are the sorts of things I'm interested in hearing about just in case I blank I need to rely on the advice of others.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Nov 2014, 12:48 pm

I think it really doesn't matter what you talk about as long as it's interesting to you. Obviously if the other person is clearly disinterested you would probably want to change topics. It's probably riskier to talk about politics or other issues that could cause someone to get upset but then again depending on who you're talking to that could be ok.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 1:36 pm

Of course something I'm interested in (but maybe not TOO interested in, i.e. obsessive special interest monologue lol) would be a decent discussion topic.. and of course there are some sort of taboo topics.. i.e. politics - but really, eventually, I'd want to know his opinion on Local, Provincial & Federal politics if he has one because IF he has one that's strongly opposed to mine then somehow I doubt we'd have a lot in common. Fortunately, a lot of people around here dislike the same politicians I do lol so the chances of having a big disagreement on that are kinda slim.

Still curious if there are topics that others have found to be great first date go-to's that keep conversation moving along and friendly.

I'm asking because while I've been no stranger to meeting new people and all, I haven't really delved into the dating world much at all. My "dating" life has been much more of the hookup variety & due to a few life events and external factors, I'm kinda over that and looking to date someone. So, here comes a new chapter in my life and I'm just trying to be as prepared and comfortable with it as possible.. you know, so I don't screw it up. :P

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Nov 2014, 1:45 pm

I don't think that having opposing political viewpoints would necessarily doom a relationship. For example, James Carville, a die-hard democrat political consultant is married to a die-hard republican consultant.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

Perhaps. I don't really care that much who someone votes for, but I do care about the issues surrounding why I dislike certain politicians in our Province & Country who "won" their positions via election fraud.. as well as the harm they're doing to Canada. It's more about the issues than the personalities of the politicians.