someone just called me trying to say I blame my autism....

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 4:45 pm

it's as simple as this: if you have people in your life who don't believe you when you say something or shame you, cut them out or ignore them..

this person who i think is a good friend, just called me out of nowhere and said "i think you blame your autism on your ability to not read and process information, and not go to college." I go: "well, I'm not making these issues up - i genuinely struggle with these things without a choice" and they go "well, you are just being a victim. i think you just want to call yourself an aspie"

so incredibly frustrating.. of course if i could process information in the way it was made to be processed I would. Of course, I'd be enriching my mind with all the classics, and watching all the most incredible cinema but I just can't. Apart of the acceptance and respect towards myself is acceptance of things like this but when people do this to me. It sucks.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

Well, if you are solely self-diagnosed, then that person's opinion might be justified; but if instead you have received an official diagnosis, then you are perfectly justified in telling that person to "eat snot and fork off"!

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Well, if you are solely self-diagnosed, then that person's opinion might be justified; but if instead you have received an official diagnosis, then you are perfectly justified in telling that person to "eat snot and fork off"!

:wink:

I was diagnosed with NVLD/Autism spectrum as a child, and my therapist told me I was autistic when I met her and she can diagnose. That person's opinion was not justified.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:24 pm

campboy92 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I was diagnosed with NVLD/Autism spectrum as a child, and my therapist told me I was autistic when I met her and she can diagnose. That person's opinion was not justified.

Well then, cry "Havoc!" and loose the hounds on him!

:lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 6:04 pm

It's a simple lack of understanding of their part.

For them the world is simple, socializing is simple, hearing in a crowded room is simple, understanding double-speek is simple, ect.

It's a lack on their part, understanding that you have challenges doing those things. Not your fault, not something you can fix. And for him to call you out on it is rude and disrespectful.

I would simply ignore him from now on. You don't need friends like that. He's pulling you down and not supporting you. He's a dh, not a friend.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm

This doesn't sound like a very good friend. It's not their right to judge you, especially if you struggle as much as you say (I'm not saying you don't). Tell that friend that they don't know you and how you act in real life. It's not their damn business how you function. If it was my friend, I'd ditch the son of a b***h. They clearly aren't doing a very good job of supporting you.