Star Wars the force awakens teaser your thoughts

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 1:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Looks pretty cool. But I didn't think cloned Stormtroopers came in black. :lol:

By the time of the original trilogy, per EU canon, the Empire had moved away from using clones for Stormtroopers. The fact that in the original trilogy they weren't clones can also be surmised from the conversation 2 Stormtroopers had with each other on the Death Star, while Obi-wan Kenobi was secretly turning off the tractor beam. The type of conversation they had is not one you would expect from clones.

Also, the black man depicted in the Stormtrooper uniform in this preview was actually lead actor John Boyega. It looks like our lead will be a black man in this coming movie, and possibly trilogy. I doubt there are multiple John Boyega clones walking around in the upcoming movies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

beneficii wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

By the time of the original trilogy, per EU canon, the Empire had moved away from using clones for Stormtroopers. The fact that in the original trilogy they weren't clones can also be surmised from the conversation 2 Stormtroopers had with each other on the Death Star, while Obi-wan Kenobi was secretly turning off the tractor beam. The type of conversation they had is not one you would expect from clones.

Also, the black man depicted in the Stormtrooper uniform in this preview was actually lead actor John Boyega. It looks like our lead will be a black man in this coming movie, and possibly trilogy. I doubt there are multiple John Boyega clones walking around in the upcoming movies.

Actually, I think it would make things interesting if there were multiple John Boyegas!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 1:20 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I heard that somewhere in the expanded canon that they stop being clones somewhere along the line, there are a ton of Star Wars books and comics or whatever besides just the movies.

but ya, I'm coming into this movie with open mind. It will be better than Phantom Menace at least.

I'm not sure the stormtroopers in the original episodes 4/5/6 were clones. Clones were never mentioned in the original movies, and Luke talks about "going to join the academy" or something, but his adoptive parents won't let him. So maybe the stormtroopers in ep 4/5/6 are just normal recruits.

Both Obi-wan Kenobi and Princess Leia made passing references to the Clone Wars, which they called "the Clone Wars," in the very first Star Wars movie. Luke Skywalker also asked a question about them.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 1:22 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
CyclopsSummers wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Lucas put it that citizens eventually started being inducted into the positions the clones took up, as the clones aged in dog years. With the near unlimited recruits possible, they'd have no reason to continue purchasing the expensive clones (the cloners probably wouldn't have stood for doing it free). So, you'd have various colored humans depending on what planet they came from.

Am I the only one who finds the bolding problematic? I've seen the suggestion that Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu were from different planets respectively, that were both home to primarily dark-skinned humans. But then you have planets like Naboo, which obviously feature ethnic diversity in their human populations, so a Black Stormtrooper might as well be from Naboo.

But that's not all too relevant if the character in question isn't a Stormtrooper at all, but a main protagonist in disguise:

Finally, here's John Boyega's reaction to the criticism of his character's appearance in the trailer:http://variety.com/2014/film/news/star-wars-star-john-boyega-tells-haters-to-get-used-to-it-1201367291/

I personally just assumed different planets had people of differing colors due to climate and genetics, just like earth.

Per EU canon, humans had spread through the Galaxy far and wide, more so than any other species of sentient being.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 2:41 pm

This looks interesting to me. I'm not a big fan of post-Episode VI EU canon anyway, so I wouldn't mind seeing it swept away. (I do, however, like the EU canon surrounding the prequels; it's always fun watching Darth Sidious working in the background moving all the pieces into place on his massive chessboard.)

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 6:38 am

beneficii wrote:
This looks interesting to me. I'm not a big fan of post-Episode VI EU canon anyway, so I wouldn't mind seeing it swept away. (I do, however, like the EU canon surrounding the prequels; it's always fun watching Darth Sidious working in the background moving all the pieces into place on his massive chessboard.)

Most of the Star Wars expanded universe was never canon anyway. The official policy was that anything that didn't directly contradict the films could be considered canon. However, remember that George Lucas had already written story outlines of the upcoming sequel trilogy long before most of the EU stories were written (he often spoke about the Star Wars saga as 9 movies in the 1980's, plus maybe a few standalone movies concerning specify characters), so in that case, the only way that Disney could possibly film the 3 movies that George Lucas had originally intended was to relegate much of the post-Episode VI EU to non-canon anyway. Disney did say that they were still drawing from the EU to flesh out those stories though, so I think that it would be interesting to see how much of it survives. I wonder if Daisy Ridley's character could even be Jaina Solo in the new trilogy?

Dylandawg26
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2014, 8:27 pm

I heard a rumor that the with master would appear at the end.the trailer made anakins ghost look like a sith,he probably didn't learn his leson after been beet on mustafar and the second death star.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 2:54 am

Dylandawg26 wrote:
I heard a rumor that the with master would appear at the end.the trailer made anakins ghost look like a sith,he probably didn't learn his leson after been beet on mustafar and the second death star.

I don't think that that was Anakin Skywalker or Darth Vader. All we saw in the trailer was a hooded figure, so we don't actually know who it was, most likely a new Sith Lord villain. I think that it would be an absolute disaster for the thematic arc of the past 6 Star Wars films for Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker to be brought back as an antagonist in the new film because he was supposed of been redeemed in Return of the Jedi. If anything, it would make far more sense if he returned as a guiding force ghost like Obi Wan Kenobi did the original trilogy (and we briefly saw his force spirit at the end of episode 6: Return of the Jedi). In any case, Hayden Christensen wasn't listed as one of the caste members, so I'm not even sure if we'll see him at all.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:56 am

beneficii wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I heard that somewhere in the expanded canon that they stop being clones somewhere along the line, there are a ton of Star Wars books and comics or whatever besides just the movies.

but ya, I'm coming into this movie with open mind. It will be better than Phantom Menace at least.

I'm not sure the stormtroopers in the original episodes 4/5/6 were clones. Clones were never mentioned in the original movies, and Luke talks about "going to join the academy" or something, but his adoptive parents won't let him. So maybe the stormtroopers in ep 4/5/6 are just normal recruits.

Both Obi-wan Kenobi and Princess Leia made passing references to the Clone Wars, which they called "the Clone Wars," in the very first Star Wars movie. Luke Skywalker also asked a question about them.

Oooh right, I forgot about that. And there's also the line "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?", that could either mean all stormtroopers were same length because they are clones, or it could mean they only accepted people taller than Luke.