Any other groups that are more accepting of self-diagnosis?

Page 11 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 10:09 pm

Of course. If we don't have ongoing dialogue/with criticism, we don't get results.

I've never seen autism research, in general, criticized on WrongPlanet. I don't see the need to criticize it as a general entity. It's not harming anybody (except those who believe it's a waste of money which could be used "elsewhere."

Perhaps, some interpretation of findings might be open to criticism because of the method involved in obtaining these findings.

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2014, 10:20 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Do you mean your personal identity or my personal identity?
I suppose that both could be invalidated if you criticize my post.

It was a private joke at my own expense. I have largely lost respect for my identity and yet I can't stop pretending and trying to make an impression. It just popped into my head when I read your post. I like reading your posts, so I felt like writing something in return. It's also late and I shouldn't be here.

To make this post more relevant: my criticism is that I agree with your post. Not very interesting or invalidating either way.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 10:31 pm

I find that criticism has generally been useful to me to solve problems and develop abilities to a higher level.
It would be weird if people didn't criticize what I did for the sake of my feelings.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 10:37 pm

Adamantium wrote:
While none of these accusations was leveled at a particular poster, I believe that some of the self diagnosed posters felt that each of these descriptions was aimed at them and had an emotional response to those negative posts in aggregate.

I can see that there were no personal attacks, but I can also see that the general attacks on the motives of the self diagnosed would be perceived that way.

But motives are important. I fully understand that many people may not have the financial resources to get diagnosed. I fully understand that many people may not have access to qualified professionals (based upon where they live). But, if they have both, but still refused to get diagnosed, and yet still insisted to call themselves autistic, I would start to scratch my head.

Then again, maybe that’s just me. I’m the type of person who wants to seek a second opinion. On everything. Probably, it goes back to that confidence thing I mentioned in other threads.

So, I guess I have finally come to an opinion on this. I think people who have both the means and the access to qualified professionals should get diagnosed (aka a second opinion on their own diagnosis). To me, that’s only logical.

For all others, please continue in your self-diagnosis pursuit. But please, be rigorous in your process and exercise due diligence in researching the topic.

P.S. The above is not directed at anyone in particular. Rather, it is directed to someone who will join WP sometime in the near future.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 10:45 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I find that criticism has generally been useful to me to solve problems and develop abilities to a higher level.
It would be weird if people didn't criticize what I did for the sake of my feelings.

I have progressed through criticism too. I used to fight even the most constructive criticism (even if I knew it was likely an improvement) because I was desperate to defend my ego, but I am happy to have changed that, because it is for the better.

I have never been good at taking criticism. I will still automatically feel a tad sour most of the time I receive it but I won't act out unless there was a strong, negatively charged emotional component because usually it helps me.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:43 pm

I like $10 words in the same way that I prefer "10mm boxed-end wrench" to "adjustable wrench".

Why intentionally make communication more uncertain than it already is?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:14 am

Some people may be good or bad at understanding big words, science jargon, idioms, sports terms, emotional words, social-emotional ideas, science ideas, cat-related things, etc. I don't think that people should avoid using big words or talking about social-emotional ideas or cat-related things just because others might not understand big words or social-emotional ideas or cat-related things.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:21 am

When I use $10 words my posts usually end up gigantic, and that is my only real concern.

It depends how much effort I want to put in. Big descriptive words are never the first to arrive in my mind. I only use them if I really need to express a point of view (which on a forum is regular), but it takes me longer to post because I have to think of them or even use Google to find such words if they escaped my mind.

I used to not do this to the extent that I now do and nobody read my posts because they were longer than the Wall of China.

So essentially when I write a post, it's easy to do, but making it concise is not, because I can't get the exact meaning I want to without access to a vast expanse of vocab, and that doesn't come naturally to me, because I tend to write/talk way too fast/much when I'm on a roll. I guess I get that from my mum.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 6:57 am

Nothing wrong with using $10 words if they provide at least $10 worth of information.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2014, 8:57 am

At the risk of being the only one on the other side of a heated conversation I think we should be a bit suspicious of self-diagnosis. Self-diagnosis is a powerful part of self-understanding. It requires recognizing some things in yourself that you may not like; however, self-diagnosis also opens up the way for trying to explain something (why am I lonely? Why don't a get along with others?) and you can lead yourself down the wrong path. I know before my official diagnosis I had self-diagnosed myself with some other things. When I received my official Aspie diagnosis I asked my psychologist about the others. According to the checklists I had found I met everything and I had incorporated these as part of my identity. I KNEW they were me, but they were not. I had to accept my own diagnosis and I had to accept that some of the things I was doing were not a product of ASD or anything else; it was my own behavior I needed to change. There is a reason that people pay psychologists 1000s of dollars to get a diagnosis. Self-diagnosis can be a key and a clue, but it is not 100% accurate. I would be interested to see how accurate it was though as I had considered that I may have ASD before my diagnosis. I'm not saying that self-diagnosis is a bad thing; I'm just saying that if you are self-diagnosed you may have ASD, or you may have lots of the signs of ASD but these may in fact be due to something else. As a community of Aspies and Auties though, this is an area we should be discussing. If you are self-diagnosed though, I would still absolutely welcome you here.

gamerdad
Toucan
Toucan

04 Dec 2014, 9:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Who criticizes autism research? I've never seen criticism of that nature.

Autism research is a win-win type of proposition.

I don't think there are many people who criticize the importance of research. But there's definitely need for criticism of specific studies, because there are a lot of really bad studies out there. Worse yet is the way many of those are twisted and used to push agendas that deserve even more criticism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 9:37 am

LOL...I've never denied that specific studies must be criticized. There's a lot of snake oil out there.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 9:08 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/63699327 ... ir-results

Yes there sure is. This is just a tiny look at a much bigger problem.