Any other groups that are more accepting of self-diagnosis?

Page 1 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 10:28 am

Does anyone know of another autism forum or discussion group that is more compassionate to the self-diagnosed? One where the kind of debate or criticism that has been going on here would not be allowed?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 10:31 am

To be honest with you, I don't know why such a discussion should be allowed on this site.

The site is meant to be welcome to everyone.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

Well I think because it comes up frequently as "side comments" to other discussions. It does need to be brought out in the open and addressed in some way. I don't fault anyone for wanting to bring it out in the open.

The problem I see going on here is several members are either unable or unwilling to use tact, curb their own behavior or be supportive to other members in general (not just on this one topic but all topics).

I see a lot of variance in the way people understand social nuances here, and I understand some are really more disabled in that capacity, but I think that is where rules and moderation come in.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

I'm sorry that many of us have not been very accepting of self-diagnosis. Not all of us have the luxury or desire to be diagnosed by a professional.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

babybird wrote:
To be honest with you, I don't know why such a discussion should be allowed on this site.

The site is meant to be welcome to everyone.

Yeah, people getting all hung up on that are not a representation of the whole site, this site is meant to be accepting of such people....anyone who says differently obviously doesn't get the purpose of this site.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:00 pm

The tests people are using to self-diagnose are the same tests that professionals are using to formally diagnose, based on what I have seen. I suspect 95%+ of the people who self-diagnose would formally diagnose when tested by a psychologist.

Whether a person self-diagnoses or gets a formal diagnosis should not be an issue here. As nyxjord indicated, cost of formal diagnosis is prohibitive for some in certain countries.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:03 pm

This is a catch 22. Like I said on one of the threads I do believe this is doing harm to members, but if you attack NT's for not using Autistics when discussing autism subjects how can you ban Autistic's from talking about an Autistic subject just because you do not like what they say?

These things do come and go. For awhile it was that Autism is trendy and overdiagnosed, that it sounded like "ASS-Burgers" was a thing. I was spoiled. When I joined August 2013 it was largely about Aspie pride and identity. But a look back at 2007-2008 showed there was plenty as angry self diagnosis debates then. IMO it was the Seinfeld debacle that started this round.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm

This whole debate about self diagnosis vs professional diagnosis repeats itself every so often on Wp. I have seen it come up several times during my time here, and usually, it fades into the background again, which hopefully it will do this time. Maybe it is best to ignore those who would judge you negatively for not being formally diagnosed, and continue to enjoy the input of those with slightly more open minds, which includes the owner if this site, Alex.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:11 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
The tests people are using to self-diagnose are the same tests that professionals are using to formally diagnose, based on what I have seen. I suspect 95%+ of the people who self-diagnose would formally diagnose when tested by a psychologist.

At the adult autism clinic I got my diagnosis from, the rate of diagnosis is about 50%. I can't speak for any other autism clinics: would love to get their diagnosis rates as well, but googling hasn't revealed anything. I suspect it's not the sort of thing which clinics publish on the internet.

Edit: if it's close-minded to wonder how accurate the self-diagnosis rates are, I'll carry on being 'close-minded'.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
IMO it was the Seinfeld debacle that started this round.

I think so too.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

I'm sure there's websites that are accommodating to self-diagnosed cancer patients too.

Bookmaker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2014, 7:01 pm

So now even this thread is invaded by the anti self diagnosis bullying narcissists who just have to make their point one more time until they can force everyone to either agree with them or leave from exasperation.

Sigh...

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 7:26 pm

Bookmaker wrote:
So now even this thread is invaded by the anti self diagnosis bullying narcissists who just have to make their point one more time until they can force everyone to either agree with them or leave from exasperation.

Sigh...

When they stop making public threads about the subject, I'll stop posting in them. I haven't made a single thread of my own about self-diagnosis and have no intention of ever doing so.

Might want to read my post, btw.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 7:43 pm

Does anyone know of another science forum or discussion group that is more compassionate to the self-proclaimed scientist?

Does anyone know of another medical forum or discussion group that is more compassionate to the self-proclaimed surgeon?

Does anyone know of another religious forum or discussion group that is more compassionate to the self-proclaimed prophet?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 8:05 pm

To me, there's nothing wrong with healthy debate---as long as it doesn't turn into name-calling and denigrating comments about specific people.

Yes, I know this was stated previously--but I wanted to reiterate that view.

If we don't have healthy debate, we don't have a viable Site.

It also keeps people "on their toes," and away from Apathy.

Please....never allow anybody's comments to "run" anybody off the Site. This Site is too good for that.

And all of us are viable people, too good to be forced off the Site by idiots.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 30 Nov 2014, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Bookmaker wrote:

Sigh...

When they stop making public threads about the subject, I'll stop posting in them. I haven't made a single thread of my own about self-diagnosis and have no intention of ever doing so.

Might want to read my post, btw.

I don't understand this 'bullying' notion.

There are some rough posts here and there and some rigid point of views, but I haven't seen anybody post anything but their opinion. There are never direct attacks. If anything, it is those that feel offended, that have attacked those who oppose self-diagnosis IMO. It almost borders on oppression, only threads are still being created on the subject of self-diagnosis by those that support it. :?