I do think a lot of people worry too much (+ those with ASD)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

agwood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Dec 2014, 4:34 pm

Last week, I went to a support group for folks with ADHD. They also had people with Aspergers.
Although I had been a loner at school and called ''really weird'', I could tell these kids were a LOT worse than I had been.
Funnily enough, their parents were quite strange people as well.
But what hit me the most was: none of them seemed to care what other people thought about them.
One of them even seemed quite surprised when I said I was extremely self-conscious.

So I say, we may as well stick 2 fingers up to the rest of society and go about it our own way. Even if you're full blown Aspergers: SO WHAT. It makes no difference. There is a tight-knit community to support us (including this very forum).
So if you're having trouble in the rest of the world, this place is the anchor.

That's the great thing about this site. It's not just Autistic people it's limited to. Here there seems to be a mix also of those with ADHD, those with anxiety, perhaps those with other issues too. It's a perfect way to get to understand each other also.
So, screw not being able to ''fit into society''. This IS society.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:58 pm

One of my ex boyfriends worried too much what people thought of him, it made him be embarrassed of me, it seemed to rule his life and cause him stress, it made him act controlling but I just continued living my life as normal and not let it affect me even if it made me an "ass."

I did have another boyfriend who didn't care at all what people thought and he was pretty extreme with it because it made him act like a jerk and not really care how I felt but in other ways he did care what people thought like how they judged him based on his trench coat and how he acted and treated people. When I first knew him, I believed him and thought people were cruel and judgmental and that his family were asses for not helping him and not wanting him around but then I started to realize why after we were living together.

I think lot of people have balance between not caring what others think and caring what others think in a healthy way. My ex's did it in a unhealthy way. They both had problems.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 5:49 am

"Too much" are the operative words. What people think of you has a lot to do of how "well" you will do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Felinelover
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm

agwood, I wish there was a like button on this site so I could use it on your fab post.
"this IS society." awesome.
I do wonder why us more high-functioning AS ppl care so much about what others think?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 3:44 pm

Felinelover wrote:
agwood, I wish there was a like button on this site so I could use it on your fab post.
"this IS society." awesome.
I do wonder why us more high-functioning AS ppl care so much about what others think?

I don't care so much what they think, more what they will do because of what they think...like if they then bully, harass or just act like conceited a** and possibly wreck my day or worse. For instance I don't care if people think I am weird...not offended at all if someone makes that observation but if they are putting me down for it or trying to make me look bad in front of people or things that can effect me because they think I am weird that is what I worry about.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 6:11 pm

I lack self awareness and don't care in general what people think about me. But at the same time I don't like being misunderstood.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 10:05 am

I'm aware of both extremes in my own feelings about "society." I feel both above and beneath the common herd. I suppose the truth must be that I'm somewhere between the two.

I don't think it helps to stick two fingers up to "society." It can feel good to slam doors, but inviting contempt can do a lot of damage. I just live a reclusive life, which keeps social challenges down to a reasonable level, and when I have to deal with society, I try to do the wisest thing for whatever incident it happens to be. Looking back at the friends I've made, most of them seems unusual in one way or another, so maybe it's natural for oddballs to re-group. I once read that primates don't often cast members out of the group because if they do that too much, the outcasts tend to re-group and attack.

I agree that a lot of us worry too much about what people might think. I guess it's mostly a matter of confidence. I don't know of a fix for that.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2014, 10:14 am

EzraS wrote:
I lack self awareness and don't care in general what people think about me. But at the same time I don't like being misunderstood.

^ I agree with Ezra. I'm the same way. I care more about being misunderstood by people than what they think. It's hard because when you are also on the mild end, your symptoms don't show publicly. So, if I have meltdowns, people automatically judge me and think I'm just being an over-aged brat or something.