Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:32 am

Apologies in advance for the rant...

I've been working for an IT support company for almost 8 years. I started with a small company, where employees were treated with respect, but this was purchased a few years ago by a multi-national company who wanted access to government contracts they had.

Up until recently, everything had been going well, but the past year has been really hard. With the account I was part of the team supporting, we had 2 sites which have an "on-site" presence. One of these was a "single person" presence, and it was designed around the idea of having the team rotate through there. After completing my last tour there (2 months), I was switched with someone else on the team, with the promise I would be returned there at the end of this person's 2 month visit. However, at the end of this 2 months, this person told our TL (who was aware of my diagnosis) that his wife needed 2 months notice to change her roster. This was relayed to me, and I resigned myself to another 2 months on the noisy main site. Sadly, these 2 months came and went, and a month after that, I inquired about when I would be returning to the smaller, quiet site, and was told that my colleague had informed the TL that he liked it at the site, and so he would be left there.

Then, a couple of months ago, I was asked on the way out of a meeting with the team and our next level up manager if I'd been told I would be supporting another company in the near future for a couple of weeks, which was news to me. I was also asked if I'd like to help on a project at another account, which I politely responded to in the negative.

I went on to help on the first account, where the 2-3 weeks dragged out to almost 2 months. I then returned to my primary account, where I was told I would be helping on the project I had been asked about, starting the next week.

On starting on this project yesterday, I was also informed that I was no longer part of the team on my previous account, and have been asked to return my laptop for there.

What I am finding really hard (apart from having been at 3 accounts\client offices in as many weeks) is that I was not even provided the chance to say my good-byes to people I had been supporting for the past 5 years (There was even a family Christmas event last weekend, that I would have made an appearance at, had I known, something which I had never been capable of attending in the past). This coupled with the number of major changes being dropped on my (and my wishes being ignored) by 3 levels of management who were and are aware of my diagnosis, coupled with no explanation as to why I was singled out for being moved from the account (I asked, as I had never had issues with the client, and was told that 2 of the managers had decided I was the first person to be removed due to staffing levels being decreased, but he refused to outline any reason).

At this point in time, I am seriously considering telling the company what they can do with this job, but I am holding back as I need the money (My wife has serious medical issues, and my daughter also has a medical problem). However, the stress it's causing is making me wonder whether it's worth it. (I spent 2 hours last night sitting in front of my computer with my "relaxation" game loaded on screen, yet unable to even come up with enough energy\motivation to start playing.)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 12:53 am

you could start looking for a new job, but i wouldn't quit this one 'til you find another.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 2:59 am

That had been my thought, but the fact that they seem so intent on making things difficult, coupled with few jobs likely to be advertised between now and Christmas\New year doesn't make things easy.

As a side note, this company is proud of the fact they don't do redundancies...Probably because it's cheaper to force people out like this, I guess (Said while trying not to sound cynical).