Has my sister a neuropsychological disorder?

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you think that my sister has some sort of (developmental) neuropsychological disorder?
Definately yes 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Yes 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
Definately no 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 5:38 am

I saw three votes saying that she has NOT a neuropsychological disorder. But for me she looks somewhat "strange". I have line scratch on the neck after her "attack" which occurred yeaterday because of my loud behaviors (stims?). She can be aggressive towards me, does not like stimming which appears to be irritating for her. Am I only one "odd" person in my family? My sister probably was not mobbed in school (unlike me). Her developmental condition may be something intermediate between my form of "polymixia" (my neologism which mean something like "pervasive developmental disorder") and NTness of my brother - not a polymixia, but not a standard "NTness", however. I called it "polymictoidia", maybe it is my condition in "lite" version? She does not appear to be depressive or neurotic. I read about Aspijkas who have higher average grades than my sister, but they had obvious troubles with recognising people and had "idiosyncratc" methods of dealing in social situations... My sister has much more "normal" way of thinking in my opinion, such as I. I suppose that my disorder is not on one spectrum with childhood autism despite my AS diagnosis. My sister should be even more "neurotypical" than I.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:56 am

I read about two girls who were strangely similar to my sister, who are in similar age and appear to be even more gifted than her, but also with more Aspergian symptoms. My sister got referral to psychologist and psychiatrist, but she took it from my mother and bent it, maybe also binned it. Some hours later my mother said that my sister did "correct" thing because she could "destroyed" her life because of the visit (I do not translate it so precisely).

Symptoms which I see in my sister are for me similar to oppositional-defiant disorder and schizoid personality disorder, but certainly not to Kanner's syndrome. My sister appears to have "mild NLD profile" (such as I). So her condition may looks like mild forms of NVLD and schizoid disorder. I suppose that it may be related to my condition.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 6:52 am

A girl who was somewhat similar to my sister compleined quite a lot about her physical apperance. She said that she is "as ugly as a poo", she was about 2 years older than my sister and had more "giftedness" in my opinion. She was a pre-maturely born child, she had birth weight abut 2150 g, but BMI was not so low (from the data which I read).

My sister does not think about physical appearance so much, she likes to eat quite much and tasty and is not so "mobile". My sister said that she "does not understand" fashion and does not feel need of being loved by parents. She worked with gimp (a free graphic program) and had an account on DeviantART when she was younger. She also drew "manga-like" drawings of animals. On her report card from 5th grade it was written that she was a laureate of an country English content (as her "special", "particular" achievement). She might think about being a singer in childhood (she collected(?) "journals" about Hannah Montana). She had good or even very good grades in school, but does not appear to be gifted for me.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 3:40 am

My sister as two the same parents as me. She was born 6 years after my brother. She is not so "bad" as me, but we have problems with her in home... Yesterday she said that she wants to be a by or something similar... When I was a child, I had peculiar fantasies about being a female. My sister said something like her parents are similar to themselves. Maybe my parents have some sort of mental problem (such as personality disorder)? I (and my sister) have not "classical" autism associated with symptoms described here: http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=281066#p6578652 (serious deficits in theory of mind, "social-emotional learning disability"), http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=281066#p6580972 (typical signs of "classic" autism). Maybe in my family there is a phenotype of other sort of autism, PDD? Which may be worse than some of "typical" Asperger's cases.

Birth weight and weight-length properties of children of my parents have something which looks as an interesting correlation between "normalcy" level and these parameters:

1. My brother:
- birth weight >3500 g - 3600 g (about 70th percentile?)
- was definitely not so small for gestational age (might be even between 75th and 90th percentile)
- had quite large birth weight/length quotient (about 70? - above 50th percentile, about 75th?)
- was not so light for birth weight (about 50th percentile on Polish chart (http://www.wskfit.pl/PDF/artykuly/14005.pdf), body length measurement in Polant is not consistent with WHO methods)
- head circumference: 35 cm
- chest circumference: 35 cm

2. My sister:
- birth weight <2750 g - 2650 g (somewhat lowered, but not LBW)
- was definitely not so small for gestational age (about 25th percentile, born in 38th week)
- had low weight/length quotient (about 10th percentile)
- was quite light for birth weight according to the Polish chart - between 3rd and 10th percentile
- head circumference: 32 cm
- chest circumference: 30 cm

3. I:
- birth weight <2250 g - 2150 g (LBW)
- was so small for gestational age (below 5th percentile, I was born on time)
- had low weight/length quotient (significantly below 10th percentile)
- was very light for birth weight according to the Polish chart - well below 3rd percentile
- head circumference: 32 cm
- chest circumference: 28 cm

All three newborns were born on time and had 10 points in Apgar scale.

Parameters of my sister look as in between my ones and my brother's ones.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 11:31 am

It looks possible that my sister, despite being born on time and having 10 points in Apgar scale, had:
- birth weight (in comparison to entire population, including prematurely born children) below 15th percentile
- weight at birth below 15th percentile for gestational age (maybe even below 10th percentile)
- weight/length index at birth (weight in grams divided by length in centimetres) below 15th percentile, it is highly probably for me than it was also below 10th percentile
- weight for body length at birth below 15th percentile (maybe even below 10th percentile)

I had that parameters significantly below 10th percentile, my brother had they in "normal" range. My sister is in between me and my brother. But she looks significantly better than me. If someone has IQ below 15th percentile, then IQ is "below average".

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 1:23 am

When I looked at Polish weight-length chart (which does not include premature infants) closer, 2650 g and 53 cm was almost exactly on 3rd percentile. Her mother with 2800 g and 56 cm was clearly below 3rd percentile. Paradoxically, my mother has older brother who had 3750 and 53 cm, but was born in 35th week (slightly prematurely). Firstborn son of the mother of my mother was slightly premature and was heavy for gestational age and quite heavy for length, but firstborn son of my mother was significantly light for length and light for gestational age.

My sister had birth weight which was 950 g smaller than BW of my brother, but 500 g larger than my BW. She had 53 cm as body length in health certificate (such as I), but brother had 57 cm. Sum of head circumference (HC) and chest circumference (CC) was 62 cm in the case of my sister (32 cm and 30 cm, difference - 2 cm), I had 60 cm (HC - 32 cm, CC - 28 cm, difference - 4 cm), brother had 70 cm (HC - 35 cm, CC - 35 cm, difference - 0 cm). I had hypotrophy, my sister had something which I might name as "hypotrophoidia" and my brother had "normotrophy". And my brother is "neurotypical" for me, my sister appears to have something which looks as "-oidia" of my developmental difference. More "hypotrophism", more "strange" mentality in the case of the children of my parents. It looks like a spectrum or relations in periodic table for me.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 11:50 am

I see that most people in the poll suggest that my sister has NOT a neuropsychological disorder. I can also suppose that she has not a disorder, but her "general" profile is more similar to me than the profile of my brother. So why she is so misbehaving sometimes? Why she likes Internet and computer so much? Why she had somewhat "strange" voice and was "hypotrophoid", unlike my brother? Some Aspijkas may look as brighter than she.

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 12:30 pm

Sounds like Aspergers

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 3:13 pm

Today I said a bit about my sister when I talked with a psychologist. I told something about similarities between me and her. Psychologist also noticed similarities. I do not think that she is schizotypal like me.

Her bad behaviors may be due to some sort of supposed "narrowing of relations to the world outside her", which may be associated with limited social needs, such as of being loved and accepted by parents.

Maybe genes of my father play a role in forming mental conditions of me and my sister? He did not live do good with his wife. When I was on AS diagnosis few years ago, someone said about possible paternal origin of AS (something about genetics?). My mother said something about linkage between cold, "emotionally absent" father and AS in the case of child or something like that, if I remember well. My father can watch TV for a long time. He collected stamps when he was young. My father may carry some Aspie genes.

My sister said something like "I would to be a boy" some days ago. She may look somewhat "masculine" to me. Girls with AS may not fit to stereotypical image of girl.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 2:03 pm

For me it looks that she does not have "common" mentality. So she would not be true "NT", I would not name her as "Enteczka". So I can't say that my sister definitely has not a neurodevelopmental disorder. "NTs" have other needs. Some Aspies does not feel the need of being loved by others (I appear to have this trait), but I have severe need of having the wife despite it. Lack of need of being loved is very non-NT trait for me, but it can be useful in life.

But the condition of my sister may be not something which I named as "aucorigic syndrome", because she is significantly less socially inadequate and peculiar than me, for me it looks to be "aucoroidia". For me traits such as "strange" voice and being poor at sports (especially when it other subjects than physical education the person is good) are Aspergian (not every Aspie has to have them) and I see them in my sister. Her voice may look even more peculiar than mine for me. She has generally good grades in school, but has quite poor grades in PE. One of lecturers from my studies and the best student from one of my earlier school also appear to have aucoridia. They have "atypical" voice, were not so good in sports but appear to be even more gifted than I (especially in technical area). I would not say that this aucoroidia is a mental disorder. I may not like the term "NT" so much. For me being "nerdy/geeky" is not (fully) NT.

If someone is similar to an Aspie in some way, then this person does not look fully "NT" for me. Bright children who are fully NT are good or even very good in sports, have "normal" voice, does not look somewhat "Aspieish". My brother had significantly above-average IQ in Mensa(-like) test. He had very good grade (5) from PE (probably always had), I had mostly satisfactory grades (3). He is not socially inept, is "very social", have a girl, has friends... I do not see even somewhat elevated level of aucorigic traits in him, despite having clearly aucorigic brother and aucoroidly-looking sister.

It may be associated with genetic influence from parents (I could say that they are NTs, but may carry some aucorigic traits) and lowered birth weight. In my family level of aucorigic traits appears to be associated with birth parameters (weight, head and chest circumference, length). Brother had significantly better birth parameters than rest of his siblings and looks even less aucorigic than mother and father. Both parents may have some sort of mental disorder (maybe a personality disorder - they are quite poor in relations with themselves and children, are vulgar and often nervous).

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 6:12 pm

The traits that you mentioned can apply to multiple people. My sister shares a lot of these traits with yours, she doesn't like being touched and has some trouble talking to others (people complain she interrupts). I think some things have to be ruled out. My sister never had trouble speaking or writing, but I had a lot of trouble with speaking and writing.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2015, 5:02 am

For me my sister does not look to be an "Enteczka" (NT girl or woman). I talked with a psychologist(?) two days ago and this person agreed with my opinion that the condition of my sister os (looks to be) related to mine. But she does not look as (at least typical) Aspijka. Her social skills are much better than mine. But her emotionality appears to be other for me.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 11:53 am

I heard about an Aspijka this week who was diagnosed. Her parent said that she wants to be loved and that she had problems with eye contact in childhood and she had good handwriting even as a child. He also told that she is not so "bad" as a girl who spends "days" with a computer and does not feel the need of being loved! And my sister spends very much time with a computer and about a year ago she told me that she does not feel the need of being loved. My sister do not appear to have (at least more significant) "social communication disorders", she appears to be much better than me in it.

I may think that my sister has "bland aspieness" - without serious social ineptitude, without more "fixative" nature. She had good grades in school. Still can name others as "morons" and "idiots". She also does not fit to "kanneric" picture of autism (like me). My father was not a student, but his brother is a PhD and has engineer degree. My mother said something that she is "helpless" (translation of Polsh word "niezaradny" from this page: http://pl.bab.la/slownik/polski-angielski/niezaradny) and has problems with working in groups. Maybe I received something genetic from both parents which made me (an maybe my sister) an Aspie of some ("non-classical") sort?

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 6:19 am

I received ruling from Social Insurance Institution which states that I am totally incapable of work, this ruling gives right to receiving social pension. It is the proof that my condition is really serious. Condition of my sister may be "lite" version of my "anomaly". My condition can't be ignored. I suppose that my sister may be ill, but not (just) rude. Relations between my condition (more severe) and her condition ("lite" version) may be like relations between childhood autism (more severe) and "typical" Asperger's ("lite" version) or like relations between schizophrenia (more severe) and schizotypal disorder ("lite" version). I suppose that my condition may be an unknown PDD which fits rather to "psychotic" spectrum than to one continuum with Kanner's syndrome.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 6:25 am

tbh many of your threads seem like blogs rather than a forum post

have you considered making a blog

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 7:52 am

I did not think about making a blog so much. I prefer to write on forums. I agree that my threads often look "blog-like". I think that it is easier to present or share my ideas and thoughts on a forum than on a blog.