Flat Earth Society and Young Earth Creationists

Page 10 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 5:06 pm

PhoenixFalcon wrote:
I once met a Young Earth Creationist who believed that Noah's flood was a real historical event and that the Garden of Eden not only was a real place, but it still exists in the world, completely intact.

I've met several of them, as a matter of fact. Thankfully, most I've met were relatively harmless.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 10:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Cash__ wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Lots of the Bible is metaphor. Even people with great faith in Christianity would say that.

I see the verses you mentioned as metaphor.

Who made you the official interpreter of the bible that you get to decide what is metaphor and what is not?

Plenty of legitimate Biblical scholars, actually, contradicting the fundies who take everything in the Bible literally.
...........Tooo bad there are no pillows in the Bible eh? heheh!

If you recall, Jacob used a rock in place of a pillow.
Ouch esspecially for the wives! 8O :lol:

I think that sort of thing would have gotten someone stoned to death back then.
Thats how they had pillow fights back then! :lol:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 11:09 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Cash__ wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Lots of the Bible is metaphor. Even people with great faith in Christianity would say that.

I see the verses you mentioned as metaphor.

Who made you the official interpreter of the bible that you get to decide what is metaphor and what is not?

Plenty of legitimate Biblical scholars, actually, contradicting the fundies who take everything in the Bible literally.
...........Tooo bad there are no pillows in the Bible eh? heheh!

If you recall, Jacob used a rock in place of a pillow.
Ouch esspecially for the wives! 8O :lol:

I think that sort of thing would have gotten someone stoned to death back then.
Thats how they had pillow fights back then! :lol:

Maybe so.

Vertetuesi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2015, 8:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
PhoenixFalcon wrote:
I once met a Young Earth Creationist who believed that Noah's flood was a real historical event and that the Garden of Eden not only was a real place, but it still exists in the world, completely intact.

I've met several of them, as a matter of fact. Thankfully, most I've met were relatively harmless.

That YEC was completely inconsistent. The Flood would have erased the Garden of Eden along with all pre-Flood geography. That explains why the description of the rivers and their adjacent territories in Genesis 2 differs so much from the layout of the rivers and territories known by those names today.

As for the Flood itself, it's not much of an exaggeration to say that it forms part of the collective cultural memory of mankind. Depending on the method of reckoning, there are 200 to 500 flood legends from cultures all over the world (Egypt and Japan being two of the very few places without one). Two things are notable about these stories overall: (1) They are different enough from the Bible, and from each other, to show that they are independent and not based e.g. on Christian missionary teaching; and (2) They also contain enough elements in common with the Bible to show that they're talking about the same event, not some unrelated flood local only to themselves. Thus for example, the name of the main protagonist: the Aztecs knew him as Nota, the Hawaiians as Nu'u, and the Hmong as Nuah, who had three sons - Lo-Han, Lo-Shen and Jah-phu. An abundance of other details is available.

On a quite different note, seeing the thread title, it's worth noting that the New Horizons team have been totally taken aback by what they found on Pluto. Being as small as it is, it should have been heavily cratered and long-since geologically dead IF it really were billions of years old. Instead, they have to admit that its surface is far younger (they've tossed out the wild figure of 100 million years old but also accept it could be a week old for all they know to the contrary), and the brute facts of thermodynamics mean that the dwarf planet itself couldn't long predate the present surface. They also say that Charon looks "shockingly young".

Maybe they look 'young' because they are 'young'.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 11:31 pm

Cash__ wrote:
I work with a guy who believes the world is flat. He is not stupid by any means. He just believes what he wants to believe and doesn't care about facts. Maybe ignorant is a better word for him.
He is both ignorant and stupid, anyone who rejects facts has less brain cells than a house plant!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2015, 11:33 pm

Vertetuesi wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
PhoenixFalcon wrote:

That YEC was completely inconsistent. The Flood would have erased the Garden of Eden along with all pre-Flood geography. That explains why the description of the rivers and their adjacent territories in Genesis 2 differs so much from the layout of the rivers and territories known by those names today.

As for the Flood itself, it's not much of an exaggeration to say that it forms part of the collective cultural memory of mankind. Depending on the method of reckoning, there are 200 to 500 flood legends from cultures all over the world (Egypt and Japan being two of the very few places without one). Two things are notable about these stories overall: (1) They are different enough from the Bible, and from each other, to show that they are independent and not based e.g. on Christian missionary teaching; and (2) They also contain enough elements in common with the Bible to show that they're talking about the same event, not some unrelated flood local only to themselves. Thus for example, the name of the main protagonist: the Aztecs knew him as Nota, the Hawaiians as Nu'u, and the Hmong as Nuah, who had three sons - Lo-Han, Lo-Shen and Jah-phu. An abundance of other details is available.

On a quite different note, seeing the thread title, it's worth noting that the New Horizons team have been totally taken aback by what they found on Pluto. Being as small as it is, it should have been heavily cratered and long-since geologically dead IF it really were billions of years old. Instead, they have to admit that its surface is far younger (they've tossed out the wild figure of 100 million years old but also accept it could be a week old for all they know to the contrary), and the brute facts of thermodynamics mean that the dwarf planet itself couldn't long predate the present surface. They also say that Charon looks "shockingly young".

The only way to determine the age of the dwarf planet and moon is to fly over there and date it via potassium argon dating but we do not have the technology to travel there yet!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2015, 12:11 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Vertetuesi wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
PhoenixFalcon wrote:

The only way to determine the age of the dwarf planet and moon is to fly over there and date it via potassium argon dating but we do not have the technology to travel there yet!

Thank you for that insightful information - I had no idea how to answer that. 8)

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 8:08 am

Potassium-Argon dating relies on a couple of untenable assumptions... that all the potassium and argon present come from the decay of the parent material and nothing else... and that all the potassium and argon are irrevocably trapped and not liable to any diminution or addition from the ambient. There are glaring examples of the "unreliability" of K-Ar "dating" all over the World.

K-Ar dating relies exclusively on the wanted and manipulated results of an ideological presumption.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 3:52 pm

Who'd have guessed a brain surgeon like Dr. Carson is one of those mental midgets, with his talk of "high faluting scientists" promoting evolution, an earth's age in the billions of years, the Big Bang, and the idea that Darwin had been influenced by "the Adversary " (Satan). Remind me not to go to him if I ever need brain surgery.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 4:08 pm

Heh!heh! I suppose that if you need brain surgery you'll go to Al Gore. He should be able to fix you right up!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 4:18 pm

Oldavid wrote:
Heh!heh! I suppose that if you need brain surgery you'll go to Al Gore. He should be able to fix you right up!

No, I'll go to a brain surgeon who actually believes in science.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

Do you mean "jump-on-the-band-wagon-and follow-the-cheering-mob" kind of "science" or the kind of science that involves actual observations of reality?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2015, 1:02 am

Oldavid wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

Do you mean "jump-on-the-band-wagon-and follow-the-cheering-mob" kind of "science" or the kind of science that involves actual observations of reality?

I mean the legitimate science that proves the earth is in the billions of years in age rather than in the mere thousands, or that life had evolved rather than being zapped into existence, etc.
Incidentally, I consider creationism to be a pseudo-science that fits in with the "jump-on-the-band-wagon-and follow-the cheering-mob," as it's adherents have preconceived notions that the science hating fundies out there eat up.