Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Which would you choose, based on the descriptions?
Poll ended at 11 Dec 2014, 12:46 pm
Counseling 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
Psychotherapy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C.B.T. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Marital breakdown support group 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 12:46 pm

I’m living in the wilderness (Ireland) again, I need to talk to someone impartial for guidance... here are my local low cost therapy choices provided by an R.C. support centre:

Counseling (qualifications: private certification/EQF 5-6 Certificates/Diplomas/trainees)

Psychotherapy (Section headed by parish priest, various qualifications EQF 6-7/Degrees)

CBT (qualifications: private certification/EQF 5-6/Certificates/Diplomas/trainees)

Group therapy for failed marriages (neighbors mediating with basic in house training)

There is an independent non denominational expensive Psychotherapist, but last time I went to him he focused on spirituality and suggested I research reincarnation to help me make sense of my life situation.

These are currently my only options, which would you choose?

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:11 pm

I've been though all of these - it depends what problem(s) you want to address. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

What are you looking for help with?

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

I basically need to talk with someone about life issues, marital breakdown for a start, but there are a few other emotional issues I need help with too, I find it difficult to express myself accurately. I’m considering counseling instead of the other options, but it won’t include guidance, my past experience of psychotherapists is mixed at best.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:42 pm

Based on that I think you may want to try some one-on-one counselling with the councillor (choice #1). Psychotherapist would be my second choice. In either case you'd have to try them to see how they "fit" with how you are and what you need. I picked councillor first as they may be a bit more practical than the psychotherapist.

I've had CBT - it's all about behaviour modification. Your issues sound more emotional.

Being aspie - I'm avoidant of group therapy.

Take care - hope it works out well. Let us know. :)

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:54 pm

Thank you, that helps, I will :)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 8:49 pm

I would lean toward CBT. A poor ability to make myself understood makes me Leary of other therapy forms. Working backwards from an ultimate goal seems more effective and concrete. Good luck:)

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 9:47 pm

I have a great deal of respect for counseling - not so much for "therapy." Purely on personal experience almost everyone I ever knew who went to "therapy" ended up worse. While counseling is kind of like having an friend who is also a bit of an expert - A good counselor listens and helps one see things from different angles.

- Albert Einstein

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 11:22 pm

I agree with R2D2.

The power relationship in counselling is more equal than in any of the other options. I clicked counselling for that reason too..

In the psychotherapy world there are power-trippers, though some good ones too; the trouble is you don't which is which in advance, and a bad therapist can do considerable damage.