Trigger Warning: Carly Fleischmann Update

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2014, 1:10 pm

Carly Fleischmann underwent Electric Chock Therapy (ECT) last March and lost her ability to communicate. Yesterday was the first time she have been able to communicate at all since then. I hope she can recover from this failed treatment.

"i cabnt typerc anymmyore ectt didfd thisds to meed brayiin is scrrammbellld needdc fdocttor helphgfi" - Carly

"This is carly's dad. all is fine. carly had ECT in march. since then she's been unable to type or go on FB. tonight has been the first words we'e heard from her since April! we're all with her and her doctor is on the case! thank you all for your kind words, prayers and concerns. this is actually a joyful time!"

https://www.facebook.com/carlysvoice

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:45 pm

There is nothing "joyful" about this. What were they trying to accomplish with ECT? I would call her returning communication "lucky" and "a relief" but definitely not "joyful". What must it have been like for Carly to be stuck silent in her own head for all that time?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2014, 3:44 pm

Yes, I feeling dread just imagining how she must have felt the last 8-9 months. I was wondering why she suddenly had fallen silent and not updating her page. I would really want to know why they subjected her to this treatment.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:25 pm

Honestly? I don't think her dad is very smart. When I read her book, and from what I've seen... he doesn't seem to understand her very well. Something tells me this might have been his idea. I never liked her dad much either. I feel sorry for her because it's bad enough she can't speak, and now she has lost her ability to type through text? How the hell is that joyful? I'd like to know what the frick he's thinking calling it joyful. It doesn't sound like it's very good parenting to me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:39 pm

I also fail to see the joy in all this. ECT is painful to go through and not being able to communicate doesn't seem joyful to me. I wouldn't wish ECT on anybody.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 4:42 pm

The father is somewhat of an ass. I read her book, and he struck me as someone who showed little interest in her. It was as if he was pushing himself to accept her, but he was falling to grasp what she was dealing with. Yeah, I get that most parents are like that, but this really pisses me off though. I agree with Cockney on this. Why the hell would you subject such a talented young woman who's changed the face of autism to this kind of treatment?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 5:07 pm

Swiper wrote:
Carly Fleischmann underwent Electric Chock Therapy (ECT) last March and lost her ability to communicate. Yesterday was the first time she have been able to communicate at all since then. I hope she can recover from this failed treatment.

"i cabnt typerc anymmyore ectt didfd thisds to meed brayiin is scrrammbellld needdc fdocttor helphgfi" - Carly

"This is carly's dad. all is fine. carly had ECT in march. since then she's been unable to type or go on FB. tonight has been the first words we'e heard from her since April! we're all with her and her doctor is on the case! thank you all for your kind words, prayers and concerns. this is actually a joyful time!"

https://www.facebook.com/carlysvoice

WTF did they do that for? After all the progress that she's made by learning to communicate through typing, they do this to her, why?

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

From what I could gleam surfing though the replies on Facebook, it appears that Carly had posted something a while back about wanting to seek treatment for some of her severe symptoms of co-morbid OCD, and it is speculated that the ECT may have been the treatment that was ultimately sought out. Supposedly, ECT is supposed to have some effect on severe OCD. Then again, I do not know Carly or her family, so I cannot say for certain what was going on.

I agree, though, that other avenues should have been considered, especially since so little is known about the autistic brain and, thus, what effects sending high voltages of electricity through this may have. I do wish Carly the utmost healing and peace.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:14 pm

I have only heard of electroconvulsive therapy being used for severe depression that doesn't respond to other treatments. I wonder what was going on here. The words are disturbing to read.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:19 pm

Jono wrote:
WTF did they do that for? After all the progress that she's made by learning to communicate through typing, they do this to her, why?

Exactly what I was going to say. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. This is very distressing to read about.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:42 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I have only heard of electroconvulsive therapy being used for severe depression that doesn't respond to other treatments. I wonder what was going on here. The words are disturbing to read.

Even when treating something ECT is known to be possible to treat, like severe depression... it is known to cause some rather severe side affects... it's supposed to be a last resort treatment.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 7:43 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also fail to see the joy in all this. ECT is painful to go through and not being able to communicate doesn't seem joyful to me. I wouldn't wish ECT on anybody.

ECT is BS. It's used for suicidally depressed people for have failed all other treatments, or for psychotic manias.

The short term memory loss is brutal for the average person.

Wonder what the hell happened that ECT was used? It has been offered to me, and I have flat out refused.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

Did Carly outline her reasons for wanting to do ECT before undergoing the procedure? It sounds like a pretty scary procedure with the risk of memory loss.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
How the hell is that joyful? I'd like to know what the frick he's thinking calling it joyful

I think he is referring to the fact that she's finally able to communicate at all again.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 1:01 am

That's very sad. I hope she recovers her brain and can get treatments that actually help her. I suspect she got ECT to get rid of her stimming.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 6:24 am

It is sad story. I read many comments of people who were praying for her at Facebook.

Why she had ECT therapy? Was it more harmful than helping?