Trigger Warning: Carly Fleischmann Update

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2015, 12:56 pm

What happened to Carly Fleischmann? : an exclusive interview with her father
From Autism Daily Newscast
http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/happened-carly-fleischmann-exclusive-interview-father/23279/shanellis/

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 1:52 am

Her parents are idiots and should be punished for putting her through that, as well as the "therapists"

Sorry, but electric shock "therapy" is cruelty and does not work at all. It should be abolished and the people who perform it should be jailed. I don't care if my opinion is unpopular, but it's cruelty to me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 9:32 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
Her parents are idiots and should be punished for putting her through that, as well as the "therapists"

Sorry, but electric shock "therapy" is cruelty and does not work at all. It should be abolished and the people who perform it should be jailed. I don't care if my opinion is unpopular, but it's cruelty to me.

I don't think your opinion is unpopular. As mentioned earlier in the thread electro shock is only recommended as a last resort for severe depression not OCD.

To bad Carly and Wrong Planet's own Kingdom of Rats voices have been at least temporarily silenced because they were great advocates for so called low functioning or severe autistics. I miss both

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2015, 2:25 pm

Anyone who decides to push someone into a electric shock therapy from the 60's, you know.. the standard treatment they gave to all the crazy people back then, is an abomination of a human.

I dont know her complete story.. but what a great idea it was to give her EST.. what could possible go wrong, except cooking the brain?!

They took her only way to communicate... :evil:

f**k THIS WORLD AND THOSE PATHETIC SELFISH HUMANS

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm

I dont understand why EST is still allowed..

Even if she wanted to..

Im pissed

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 10:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:

I don't think your opinion is unpopular. As mentioned earlier in the thread electro shock is only recommended as a last resort for severe depression not OCD.

To bad Carly and Wrong Planet's own Kingdom of Rats voices have been at least temporarily silenced because they were great advocates for so called low functioning or severe autistics. I miss both

I also miss them and I wish them a speedy recovery.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2015, 10:56 pm

I've read the book at the beginning of the year. I don't think very highly of her father, either. I didn't like the way he handled himself when he was angry at Carly. I liked the part of the book where Carly communicated with one of her therapists about the way she was treated by father and how she felt like the ugly step sister, because that was a big wake up call for him. I also don't like the way he decided to leave Carly behind when the rest of the family was going to see relatives at Christmas and the question he asked his wife. "You don't think she has any awareness of what's going on, do you?" while Carly was walking around in a very agitated manner.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:46 pm

HP link

I find this situation very disturbing.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:23 am

I think if she agreed to the treatment, we are only making the situation worse by putting the blame on the parents (the underlying idea is that she is not capable of making her own decisions which is all in all a harmful stance to take).

There are people out there who claim to have been helped by ECT so I'm not going to judge them.

I suspect some of these effects she is having may fade away. I'm hoping.

I knew a writer who regretted having ECT because she had trouble recalling words long after the fact. Something to think about. I'm not sure if she ever regained complete all of her intellectual faculties or not. Didn't know her for very long.