Why are poeple on this site so obessed with feminists?

Page 1 of 12 [ 178 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:32 pm

Ok not everyone obviously, but it is certainly a well worn topic. Some people are clearly having sleepless nights poor souls.

I guess becuase I'm a very independent minded person, feminism affects me negatively not at all most of the time. it no skin off my back. I really fail to see it a threat to me or anyone.

I wonder what is behind this resentment? I wonder if it is to do with relationship issues.

I'm not PC, so personally I'm against small fry issues being overplayed, or people being made to feel like they tread on eggs shell. I agree this is counter productive.

But to disagree with the general principle of feminism is silly. Where there is debate to be had, is how to integrate feminism into humanism, as this is the direction of travel.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:52 pm

I am a man class myself as feminist because women have been discriminated against forever by most mainstream religions and to my mind that makes those religions immoral and lacking in a sense of justice.

He shall rule over you is institutionalized discrimination without just cause.

Regards
DL

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:56 pm

Just recently...
They have gotten people banned from twitter and twitter has changed its flagging policies.

They have gotten GTAV banned from Target.

It's always an assault on free speech.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Dec 2014, 8:13 pm

The current third wave or whatever radical feminists that dominate the internet and popular culture have muddied up the water for everyone that calls themselves are feminist. You're not going to find many people that oppose equality for women, what people have a problem with are these "rape culture" weirdos ranting about the patriarchy or how how evil video games are. They're just modern day gossipy church ladies who can't mind their own business, pushing their own book learned absolute moral truths on the rest of us.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:21 pm

Jacoby wrote:
...what people have a problem with are these "rape culture" weirdos ranting about the patriarchy or how how evil video games are.

Argh I can't stand those types of people, whether they're women, men, feminazis or not.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:38 pm

exhibits 1-3, above. 'Well, the changes that were made back before I was born were all fine and good, and of course I support those, but the changes that people want now are waaaay to radical! I shouldn't have to change! And goodness forfend I should face any social consequences for my behavior or speech!'

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:47 pm

LKL wrote:
exhibits 1-3, above. 'Well, the changes that were made back before I was born were all fine and good, and of course I support those, but the changes that people want now are waaaay to radical! I shouldn't have to change! And goodness forfend I should face any social consequences for my behavior or speech!'

victim blaming

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:16 pm

whom are you suggesting is the victim?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:20 pm

LKL wrote:

Why should someone facial social consequences for actions or speech that you disagree with? Isn't that what we're trying to get away from?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:25 pm

Jacoby wrote:
LKL wrote:

Why should someone facial social consequences for actions or speech that you disagree with? Isn't that what we're trying to get away from?

No, it's not. It's completely inane to think there should be no social consequences for saying something, otherwise there is no point in saying anything at all.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

Ganondox wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
LKL wrote:

No, it's not. It's completely inane to think there should be no social consequences for saying something, otherwise there is no point in saying anything at all.

So if that is acceptable then is it wrong for those that you oppose to do the same to you because they don't agree?

Verax
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Dec 2014, 10:41 pm

It's a matter of language.

Feminist literally means pro-female, which, because ale and female are seen as opposites means that pro-female implies anti-male.

As western society transitions to a less binary view of sexuality, we are also having to deal with extremist views being able to be broadcast to a large audience.

This is hopefully the rise of equalism. It works on multiple issues. The problem is that equalism is getting extremists now too. I call them the "everyone gets a gold star" brigade, and they are undermining the equalist concept by confusing people about the difference between being equal because of what you are rather than who you are.

It's all about choosing what we are happy to discriminate about. If you need to choose between two people, do you discriminate against the a***hole or would that be offensive to the a***hole community at large. Humans need to make decisions based on criteria about other people. The question is where do we want the line. A policy of full acceptance would simply lead to crazy, untenable decisions. (see Borat for details).

People like to say that we shouldn't discriminate against people based on what they can't control. What traits do we want to consider to be out of someones control? (see Dexter for details)

Most people don't even understand the questions, yet are expected to give answers on a daily basis. Add to that plenty of nutters with an axe to grind and all the terrain ends up egg shells covered in confused people that feel guilty but they are not sure why.

Send the feminist back to the kitchen to bake me, and the real women, some pie!
And guys, saying your a feminist will not get you laid. Try thinking instead.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2014, 1:10 am

A couple of areas where you can get bitten by feminism:

• "Affirmative action", i. e. mandatory female quotas in legislatures and company management. (More common in the EU than the US, where the same stuff is more common on the basis of race.) If companies can't select the most competent managers they would otherwise select because they wouldn't meet the quota, it decreases the efficiency of the economy a bit. It's a too small effect to be demonstrable on its own, but it will be there nevertheless.
    If this aproach was extended to such things as requiring 50% of mathematicians or computer scientists to be female, it would destroy the profession. Fortunately I haven't heard of such proposal, but I've already read feminists b***h about such things as the low number of female science students.
  • Family law issues. These were primarily not started by feminists, but they revile the men's rights activists who point out the problems. If a woman divorces you, you may owe her a lot simply because you earn or own more, or she doesn't work even though she could. In many jurisdictions these can apply even if you just lived together but never intended to marry, under common law marriage. If you have a kid and she decides to leave you, the child support is not necessarily or automatically recalculated if you earn less or become unemployed; if you can't pay, you can be thrown in jail (even though debtor's prison has long been abolished for any other kind of debt). Even if she lied about contraception, stole your sperm, or got pregnant while commiting statutory rape.
  • The most controversial: rape legislation that effectively deny presumption of innocence of the accused, and overbroad definitions. Such as this California law according to which "affirmative consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity", i. e. if you have sex with a woman and you don't ask if she still consents every second, or if she claims so, you can be fired from college and your career broken in two. And since it's technically a civil proceeding, the standard of evidence ("preponderance of evidence", i. e. >50%) is much weaker than the "beyond reasonable doubt" standard in criminal proceedings.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 1:10 am

Jacoby pretty much nailed it, but I'll add that there is really one person on here who is obsessed with feminists, mostly with trolling them, who the mods mostly choose to ignore for reasons I imagine involve pity.

Personally, I simply find feminists annoying in general, and being annoyed tends to make me argumentative, especially when the annoyance in question is both poor at arguing and unusually self-righteous.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 2:17 am

Because its hard to tell which ones are for equality and which ones are just a buncha whining professional victims who just hate men! The latter are fun to troll though.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 3:47 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I wonder what is behind this resentment?

Gynophobia.