Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

dimwit79
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2014, 5:44 am

Not to make a statement, just it's an interesting post. I did post it in a compilation type thread but then I noticed it was only published recently so it probably deserves a higher profile link.

Would have posted it elsewhere but putting this in any other forum subsection would be trolling. :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :skull: :nerdy: :jester: :jester: :oops: :oops:

http://check-your-privilege-feminists.t ... a-feminist

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Dec 2014, 6:53 am

So to clarify, you're showing us a whole stream-of-consciousness blog?

Tbh I think most of the responses to the "boys to avoid" image were idiotic or tangential. Some of the ones in the longer post got it, but most were ruined by nested conditionals. For example:

Quote:
Girls who claim to be all about breaking gender roles but force gender roles on men or invoke ones against women whenever it suits their argument

Redo that without the first clause and you're not attacking a straw man but actually a real issue.

It seems to me that anti-feminists would generally be better off pursuing the issues they care about, rather than attacking unspecified feminists for not pursuing them.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 7:51 am

The opening statement was promising. It is a legitimate critique of feminism that its' focus gets defined entirely by WEIRD* women. But then she went absolutely nowhere with that. What followed was just a jumble of feminists doing things that ranged from inane to grotesque.

Here is a blogger who does it coherently:
https://beingfeministblog.wordpress.com ... st-theory

Quote:
A major component of Postcolonial Feminism is a critique of the feminist theories in developed countries. For instance, the universalizing tendencies of mainstream feminist ideas and the ways women living in non-western countries tend to be misrepresented.

Mohanty unpacks this misrepresentation by invoking images of stereotypes typical in western understandings of different women in different cultures, including “the veiled woman,” “the powerful mother,” “the chaste virgin,” and “the obedient wife.” Mohanty points out that these images exist in “universal, ahistorical splendor.” Ultimately. Mohanty posits that this causes “a colonialist discourse which exercises a very specific power in defining and maintaining existing first/third world connections.”

*Western Educated Industrialized Rich Democratic

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 8:19 am

^^^^^
The link above is incorrect and the time window allowed to edit a post is now very short and I missed it. So here is the proper link for the blog I cited.
https://beingfeministblog.wordpress.com ... st-theory/

I'm still inside the narrow editing time frame so let me just add the proper intro to the post that puts the critique of WEIRD feminism in context.

Quote:
Postcolonial Feminism is a subset of feminism that developed in the 1980s because it appeared that feminism only focused on the experience of women in Western cultures.

Within this essay the terms “Western,” “Western Feminism,” and “Mainstream Feminism” refer to ideas and cultures founded upon eurocentric ideals and espoused mostly within Europe and North America.

That^^ is the issue that the OP's cited blog brought up and then immediately dropped. It's true. Feminism has been the domain of WEIRD women and this has marginalized women who aren't WEIRD.