Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 6:43 am

I'd really like to learn how to haggle my way to getting a higher salary without sounding like a snob. Any advice?

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 1:25 pm

I've luckily only needed to do this a couple of times, as my companies have been very good about giving me raises (when I've completed educational milestones or successfully handled new challenges that I wasn't originally hired for).

But, the research I put into establishing fair market pay did pay off when I was negotiating my new salary (for the job I started just over a year ago).
I felt really ballsy asking for more money than their initial offer, but, I know that someone with my years of experience isn't exactly easy to find on every street corner. We ended up meeting in the middle, as I could summarize a report of what others in similar roles with similar education and experience were making.
I do need a bit more experience with js and sql, and, once I have that, I will meet with my boss and request a raise to bring me up to what I'd initially asked for.

So, advice... write it down. Use resources like indeed.com/salary, nace salary calculator, salary.com and any industry specific salary surveys... calculate based off of those numbers what yours should be.
If you have saved your company money, write that down, too (in my current role, I don't do design, but, the space planner brings me sketches so I can do the preliminary layouts before we have the architect do the designs... that saves thousands per year on architect's fees. Plus the expected savings on not having to call our outside consultant for tech support on my system).