Autism Speaks #MSSNG campaign. Google involved - Thoughts?

Page 7 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

Breakdowns suck. I'm still recovering from mine. So, my next question is ... how has modifying your behaviour helped you to get to the positive place you are now?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 10:06 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Breakdowns suck. I'm still recovering from mine. So, my next question is ... how has modifying your behaviour helped you to get to the positive place you are now?

I have developed the courage to be myself and nothing more.

I am medically and legally, technically permanently disabled with 19 medical disorders on record that modern science still says is impossible to cure, but never the less, the reality is they are technically in remission, and no longer exist for me, and I am ALSO financially independent, fortunately enough, as a life long EXTREME penny pincher.

My stim IS dance walking now to the tune of almost 3000 miles, now in the 17th month, since a long span of 5 years of illness and a shorter span OF RECOVERY, in the year 2013, in the Summer of that year.

IT'S ALL JUST FOR fun but an excellent accommodation for the medical disorders I am diagnosed with, including Autism.

I go to store management, ask for the accommodation, and get it so far, totally free, except for one mall that made me modify it, where I do not do it in reverse, per dance walking.

When I wrote the research in the link above, I was still almost totally incapacitated.

I for one am not conforming to anyone but me, and what I find, even in my extremely red state area that is recently noted in research as the toughest place to live for hipster leaning folks, as it is extremely patriarchal due to influx of a metro area military population and fundamentalist religious population, IS THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE WHO APPRECIATE FREE LIKE THAT.

THE HATERS can go on hating, as there are enough lovers for me to GO on.

But please, don't get me wrong, as this is not easy, and it took me 53 years, to get it figured out on what works for my own UNIQUE AND complex path of life.

But now it is truly simple, AS dance and SONG, with those in the herd who can do it with me, AND F**, YES! FUN the haters as I am the one truly having FUN NOW!

I DEVELOPED a REAL UNIQUE way to have THEM ADAPT TO ME, NOT ME TO THEM!

AND SOME OF THEM ARE LOVING IT, TOO!

AND SOME ARE NOT, BUT OH WELL! IS WHAT I SAY NOW, AS THEY ARE THE ONES MISSING OUT NOW, IN MY OPINION! :)

BUT AGAIN, please don't get me wrong, I as a white middle-aged perceived good looking and clean cut dude at 232LBS of muscle can get away with this, almost anywhere in this world, per that obvious human privilege, no matter what my functional challenges are, NOW.

I have been on the other side of that coin, as illustrated in the photo, in the bottom of this link as well.

So yeah, I know both sides of this, and I hurt as much as I used to, for the people who hurt like I did too, NOW!

And that is why I share ALL OF MY STORY, in hopes to inspire anyone, somehow, someway, if possible, in a SPARK OF ANYTHING.. SOMETHING.. AT ALL!

Happy New Year!

http://katiemiafrederick.com/2014/12/31/katie-mia-frederick-2014-a-year-in-review/

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:13 am

androbot01 wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
Changing your behavior does not always equal a happier life

Exactly ... and thanks :D
goldfish and aghogday, why will neither of you address the issue of the costs of conformation? I know there are rewards to be gained from pushing oneself, especially socially. But there has to be a balance. The psyche cant handle constant artificial behaviour without snapping.

What cost? What artificial behaviour? :?

To the contrary, rather than improve my ability to intellectually process social situations better (which is very very mentally taxing, I realize & remember) I've actually managed to minimize my asd and other symptoms and am much more intuitively social than most of my life to date. I've done this via diet/herbs/probiotics. I shared my story about this on WP last January.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:15 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
Assuming those people in the memes really said those things, I'm positive an herbal enema isn't what they had in mind.

Perhaps not, but I think they were all rather Machiavellian in their statements.. they all have the same end in mind, and the end justifies the means - whatever the means' process needs to be to get to the end in mind. If that's diet, herbal detox & probiotics, so be it, I'm sure they'd all approve since the end result is the desired effect of their respective philosophies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:00 am

goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:
Assuming those people in the memes really said those things, I'm positive an herbal enema isn't what they had in mind.

Perhaps not, but I think they were all rather Machiavellian in their statements.. they all have the same end in mind, and the end justifies the means - whatever the means' process needs to be to get to the end in mind. If that's diet, herbal detox & probiotics, so be it, I'm sure they'd all approve since the end result is the desired effect of their respective philosophies.

I am not going interpret Einstein and Ghandi, they are beyond me. Would the ends justify the means if this means killing a whole lot of people so you can feel better?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:03 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

I am not going interpret Einstein and Ghandi, they are beyond me. Would the ends justify the means if this means killing a whole lot of people so you can feel better?

Apples to oranges. You can't possibly be asking me that as a real question...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:22 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

The question is real. Words like Machiavellian and the ends justify the means have a particularly nasty literal interpretations when taken to their logical conclusion. Other times they are used in a certain context. While I don't particularly you believe killing people is ok so you could feel good, as an autistic person the nasty literal meaning is how I naturally will interpret these words. But I do realize I interpret things wrongly because at times I do miss the context and metaphorical meanings. It worked the other way also. While I did not believe you take the ends justify the means to its literal conclusion I had to wonder if I was mistaken. So instead of wondering I asked the question.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
PlainsAspie wrote:

The question is real. Words like Machiavellian and the ends justify the means have a particularly nasty literal interpretations when taken to their logical conclusion. Other times they are used in a certain context. While I don't particularly you believe killing people is ok so you could feel good, as an autistic person the nasty literal meaning is how I naturally will interpret these words. But I do realize I interpret things wrongly because at times I do miss the context and metaphorical meanings. It worked the other way also. While I did not believe you take the ends justify the means to its literal conclusion I had to wonder if I was mistaken. So instead of wondering I asked the question.

OK..

What I meant was that any of those I quoted may not have had herbal medical treatments in mind as a means or process to their idealogical ends of self improvement, but would likely support or approve of virtually any means of self improvement whether medicinal, diet, exercise, reading/learning, therapy, or an epiphany had while out hiking in remote woods somewhere. All of these people had the end goal of happiness in mind, and would likely have supported or approved of any method of self improvement to achieve it. Murdering people is not likely something any of them would support or approve of as a means to self improvement and happiness.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 6:17 pm

That's a HUGE leap of speculation with very little evidence, and it amounts to an appeal to authority at best.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 7:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
[
What I meant was that any of those I quoted may not have had herbal medical treatments in mind as a means or process to their idealogical ends of self improvement, but would likely support or approve of virtually any means of self improvement whether medicinal, diet, exercise, reading/learning, therapy, or an epiphany had while out hiking in remote woods somewhere. All of these people had the end goal of happiness in mind, and would likely have supported or approved of any method of self improvement to achieve it. Murdering people is not likely something any of them would support or approve of as a means to self improvement and happiness.

I do not know about the others but I am sure Einstein would want more proof.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm

Moromillas wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I don't know what to make of it other than every 5 seconds olliebean and Amy Sequenza retweet something with a #notmssng hashtag

I'm not well versed in twitter, but I think it means that a lot of people are bothered by #MSSNG. #NTMSSNG is seeking to empower autistic people, by literally saying that we are not missing. I can't imagine what led google/AS to choose this hashtag. It's quite offensive, I think.

See, one of the problems I can see, from my perspective; Is that Speaks essentially has a megaphone, and AS people are gagged by comparison. They can spew out as much hateful bigotry as they want, and a lot of people will hear that megaphone, but not many will hear our words.

Here is an ungagged challenge to the "megaphone theme song"
http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/post/1 ... hat-autism

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
[

I do not know about the others but I am sure Einstein would want more proof.

Perhaps he would. But I highly doubt he would look at the results and disbelieve what he was seeing because he hadn't seen it before. He'd likely want to duplicate the results, perhaps study the details and determine the precise cause & effect relationships between chemicals, neurotransmitters, probiotics etc. But chances are highly unlikely that he'd see something new to him and discount it as an impossible lie just because he didn't yet have more proof to explain what it was he was seeing.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 5:16 am

Why is this vile organization called Autism $peak$ still in business? I have written to an number of sponsors and I haven't stopped. Google will be my next one. Besides Autism $peak$ stupid research on DNA with missing strands they continue to insult us who are on the Autism Spectrum with the most recent "Sounding the Alarm". Other insulting one liners are" Comparing us to lepers, we are a disease, we are an unhealthy cigarette habit, we are a drain on the economy, Autism Tsunami to name a few. Let's not forget the extermination of Autism. Suzanne Wright is so full of hate it isn't even funny because she has an Autistic grandson. She is by far the worse.

I can tell you, because of our awareness and more diagnoses we are now seeing a larger community of those on the Autism Spectrum. These ignorant people at Autism $peak$ need to realize that Autism has been around since the beginning of mankind. You can even see it in the Bible though it was called "Casting out of Demons". In the dark ages it was called the mentally insane. The word Autism didn't even exist until Hans Aspergers discover Aspergers Syndrome and then it was virtually unknown until more recent times. And the percentage of Autistic people compared to normal people haven't changed either.

So let's get on the band wagon and start sending our messages to the sponsors of Autism $peak$. An email address can be found someplace even if you have to go into the "Terms of Service". Also list any sponsors here. Together we can put this vile bunch out of business. If you don't feel comfortable with your own name use an alias. Be nice if any of you choose to send a message but get your point across.

List of Sponsors
Google
Wal_Mart
Home Depot
Roche
Dynamis
Alcobra Pharma
Delsia
Symantec
Lineagen
The Braff Group
Mazda

If any of you know of any sponsors please list them. I know there are more out there.
I sent an email to yet another sponsor just yesterday.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 7:39 am

More Sponsors

Toyota
Dollar General
Bob’s Furniture Store
Modell’s Sporting Goods We-Care.com
Zales.com

sent emails to 2 more. Google is one of them.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 7:47 am

alex wrote:
AlienorAspie wrote:
Quote:
Not everyone "on the spectrum" suffers from some of the developmental problems associated with autism, nor views autism as something that needs to be "cured."

And because of that, Autism Speaks and this project in particular is controversial in the autistic community. A blogger on the Autism Women's Network went so far as to call Autism Speaks a "hate group."

If someone is "on the spectrum", then they DO suffer from developmental problems.

How would you know if another individual is suffering from a problem without asking them? Plenty of people have problems but don't "suffer." There's nothing in the DSM stating that individuals must suffer. They must display symptoms however.

Suffering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffering

The statement "I have problems" is not the same as "I suffer from problems"

Absolutely right, Alex. I have 3 severe symptoms myself but I don't suffer from them either. In fact 2 of them I find rather pleasant.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

:roll: