Autism Speaks #MSSNG campaign. Google involved - Thoughts?

Page 8 of 10 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,231
Location: Long Island, New York

03 Jan 2015, 7:29 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
[
What I meant was that any of those I quoted may not have had herbal medical treatments in mind as a means or process to their idealogical ends of self improvement, but would likely support or approve of virtually any means of self improvement whether medicinal, diet, exercise, reading/learning, therapy, or an epiphany had while out hiking in remote woods somewhere. All of these people had the end goal of happiness in mind, and would likely have supported or approved of any method of self improvement to achieve it. Murdering people is not likely something any of them would support or approve of as a means to self improvement and happiness.


I do not know about the others but I am sure Einstein would want more proof.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

It is Autism Acceptance Month


B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,797
Location: New Zealand

03 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm

Moromillas wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
I don't know what to make of it other than every 5 seconds olliebean and Amy Sequenza retweet something with a #notmssng hashtag

I'm not well versed in twitter, but I think it means that a lot of people are bothered by #MSSNG. #NTMSSNG is seeking to empower autistic people, by literally saying that we are not missing. I can't imagine what led google/AS to choose this hashtag. It's quite offensive, I think.

See, one of the problems I can see, from my perspective; Is that Speaks essentially has a megaphone, and AS people are gagged by comparison. They can spew out as much hateful bigotry as they want, and a lot of people will hear that megaphone, but not many will hear our words.


Here is an ungagged challenge to the "megaphone theme song"
http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/post/1 ... hat-autism



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,839
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

03 Jan 2015, 7:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
[
What I meant was that any of those I quoted may not have had herbal medical treatments in mind as a means or process to their idealogical ends of self improvement, but would likely support or approve of virtually any means of self improvement whether medicinal, diet, exercise, reading/learning, therapy, or an epiphany had while out hiking in remote woods somewhere. All of these people had the end goal of happiness in mind, and would likely have supported or approved of any method of self improvement to achieve it. Murdering people is not likely something any of them would support or approve of as a means to self improvement and happiness.


I do not know about the others but I am sure Einstein would want more proof.


Perhaps he would. But I highly doubt he would look at the results and disbelieve what he was seeing because he hadn't seen it before. He'd likely want to duplicate the results, perhaps study the details and determine the precise cause & effect relationships between chemicals, neurotransmitters, probiotics etc. But chances are highly unlikely that he'd see something new to him and discount it as an impossible lie just because he didn't yet have more proof to explain what it was he was seeing.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

12 Jan 2015, 5:16 am

Why is this vile organization called Autism $peak$ still in business? I have written to an number of sponsors and I haven't stopped. Google will be my next one. Besides Autism $peak$ stupid research on DNA with missing strands they continue to insult us who are on the Autism Spectrum with the most recent "Sounding the Alarm". Other insulting one liners are" Comparing us to lepers, we are a disease, we are an unhealthy cigarette habit, we are a drain on the economy, Autism Tsunami to name a few. Let's not forget the extermination of Autism. Suzanne Wright is so full of hate it isn't even funny because she has an Autistic grandson. She is by far the worse.

I can tell you, because of our awareness and more diagnoses we are now seeing a larger community of those on the Autism Spectrum. These ignorant people at Autism $peak$ need to realize that Autism has been around since the beginning of mankind. You can even see it in the Bible though it was called "Casting out of Demons". In the dark ages it was called the mentally insane. The word Autism didn't even exist until Hans Aspergers discover Aspergers Syndrome and then it was virtually unknown until more recent times. And the percentage of Autistic people compared to normal people haven't changed either.

So let's get on the band wagon and start sending our messages to the sponsors of Autism $peak$. An email address can be found someplace even if you have to go into the "Terms of Service". Also list any sponsors here. Together we can put this vile bunch out of business. If you don't feel comfortable with your own name use an alias. Be nice if any of you choose to send a message but get your point across.

List of Sponsors
Google
Wal_Mart
Home Depot
Roche
Dynamis
Alcobra Pharma
Delsia
Symantec
Lineagen
The Braff Group
Mazda

If any of you know of any sponsors please list them. I know there are more out there.
I sent an email to yet another sponsor just yesterday.



Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

12 Jan 2015, 7:39 am

More Sponsors

Toyota
Dollar General
Bob’s Furniture Store
Modell’s Sporting Goods We-Care.com
Zales.com


sent emails to 2 more. Google is one of them.



Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

12 Jan 2015, 7:47 am

alex wrote:
AlienorAspie wrote:
Quote:
Not everyone "on the spectrum" suffers from some of the developmental problems associated with autism, nor views autism as something that needs to be "cured."

And because of that, Autism Speaks and this project in particular is controversial in the autistic community. A blogger on the Autism Women's Network went so far as to call Autism Speaks a "hate group."



If someone is "on the spectrum", then they DO suffer from developmental problems.

How would you know if another individual is suffering from a problem without asking them? Plenty of people have problems but don't "suffer." There's nothing in the DSM stating that individuals must suffer. They must display symptoms however.

Suffering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffering

The statement "I have problems" is not the same as "I suffer from problems"


Absolutely right, Alex. I have 3 severe symptoms myself but I don't suffer from them either. In fact 2 of them I find rather pleasant.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,839
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

12 Jan 2015, 8:44 am

:roll:


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

12 Jan 2015, 9:46 am

goldfish21 wrote:
:roll:


What's the rolleyes for? Many of us do have symptoms that we actually find pleasant. And if you have any severe symptoms you wouldn't be rolling your eyes. In fact I don't believe half the people on this forum even have Autism. Their only mission in life is to TROLL and you are getting off to a good start. So try to understand instead of putting such smilies on here. It is people like you that cause me to leave this forum in the first place.



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,839
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

12 Jan 2015, 3:18 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
:roll:


What's the rolleyes for? Many of us do have symptoms that we actually find pleasant. And if you have any severe symptoms you wouldn't be rolling your eyes. In fact I don't believe half the people on this forum even have Autism. Their only mission in life is to TROLL and you are getting off to a good start. So try to understand instead of putting such smilies on here. It is people like you that cause me to leave this forum in the first place.


The :roll: wasn't at whether people "suffer" from their symptoms or not. It was at the email campaign against Autism Speaks donors, because it sums up my thoughts about that quite concisely.

Just as you don't suffer from your symptoms and see no need for treatment R&D by the likes of Autism Speaks, others do suffer from their symptoms and value the progress Autism Speaks is making. Just because you're not interested in what they have to offer does not mean that others aren't or shouldn't be. Your email campaign may be offensive or insulting to those who prefer treatment or a potential cure.

Personally, I've already managed to figure out how to successfully treat my symptoms (which I DID suffer from, FYI.) via diet/herbal cleansing/probiotics & am living a second life for it. I've shared all of this on the forums over the last year. That's why I am all for Autism Speaks as their research department is continuing studies on probiotic treatments beyond the mice experiment that was published last year.

As for pleasant symptoms, yes, I've had & still have those, too. But pretty much all of the ones I suffered from are gone or minimized while I still get to retain and utilize some I appreciate. I'm living a second life for having done this, and am a lot less "idiot" and a little more "savant" which I can deal with a whole heck of a lot better than suffering from symptoms that drastically interfered with my ability to cope with life and work. YMMV & that's just fine. Just don't expect that everyone is going to have your opinion and want to join your email campaign. Some of us just want to roll our eyes at you and carry on living our, in our opinions, better lives with treatment.

People like me didn't cause you to leave this forum. You can only do that yourself via your own actions. If you don't like my opinion or points of view enough to not want to post here, that's your choice, not one that I can make for you.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Age: 73
Gender: Female
Posts: 860

12 Jan 2015, 4:01 pm

Thanks for clarifying the Rolleyes. However, there are a lot of Autistic people out there who thinks this organization is a vile piece of crap that needs to be put out of business. If you want to be considered as a drain on society, part of an Autism Tsunami, An Autism Alarm, an unhealthy cig habit, compared to a leper and a disease it is your prerogative. But, for me I see us as having a neurodevelopmental disorder. Visit You Tube and type in Suzanne Wright (founder of Autism $peak$). You will get your ears full of the nasty things she says about Autism. I found this petition after I left my comment. So I'm far from being alone in this fight against Autism $peak$. And I hope you can see the same things everyone else sees.

Sponsors for Autism Speaks



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,839
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

12 Jan 2015, 4:13 pm

You're free to dislike them and not consume any of their products or services, but who are you to decide they should be shut down so that those who do appreciate their services cannot have them?

I have never seen anything from Autism Speaks comparing Autistics to unhealthy cig habits or lepers etc. Link?

I also haven't seen anything from Autism Speaks with nasty things to say about Autism. As close as that ever got was some advertisement people were debating on the forums. It was a video showing the challenges and difficulties families with Autistic kids face & stated that Autism Speaks was trying to help these people. There was nothing nasty about it.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,797
Location: New Zealand

12 Jan 2015, 4:18 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
You're free to dislike them and not consume any of their products or services, but who are you to decide they should be shut down so that those who do appreciate their services cannot have them?

I have never seen anything from Autism Speaks comparing Autistics to unhealthy cig habits or lepers etc. Link?

I also haven't seen anything from Autism Speaks with nasty things to say about Autism. As close as that ever got was some advertisement people were debating on the forums. It was a video showing the challenges and difficulties families with Autistic kids face & stated that Autism Speaks was trying to help these people. There was nothing nasty about it.

Try this then, it's a verbatim quote:

“Autism is forcing parents and caregivers to slow down the frenetic pace of our modern world and look into the eyes of our (autistic) loved ones…as Saint Francis did with the leper.” Suzanne Wright, speaking at the Vatican



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,839
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

12 Jan 2015, 5:09 pm

B19 wrote:
Try this then, it's a verbatim quote:

“Autism is forcing parents and caregivers to slow down the frenetic pace of our modern world and look into the eyes of our (autistic) loved ones…as Saint Francis did with the leper.” Suzanne Wright, speaking at the Vatican


Ok. And what else was said around this? Perhaps what she said before or after might give a little more info as to context. If nothing else was said, then I'd have to be familiar with the story of Saint Francis and lepers - which I am not. My assumption is that Saint Francis, being a Saint, helped lepers. Is that correct?

Regardless, there is truth in the statement that Autism forces parents and caregivers to slow down their busy lives in order to care for Autistic loved ones.. and also in that if Autism is successfully treated that it becomes much easier for parents and caregivers to care for Autistic children/loved ones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I interpret the above quote. I don't view it as a statement that Autistic people should be put into "leper colonies" in order to prevent the spread of a communicable disease. My POV is that she's saying effective treatments for Autism will not only improve the lives of Autistics, but also their families.

This isn't just my point of view, FYI. This is also my reality. Over the last couple of years I've managed to treat my own ASD & comorbid symptoms so successfully that I'm living a second life for it - and it's also benefitted everyone around me. My parents/friends - people who I relied on for various types of support (housing/financial etc), people who I frustrated or stressed with my thoughts/actions/behaviours etc. They've all noticed a dramatic improvement in me & no longer have to "deal with" me in the state that I was. It's only now with my new "second life" perspective that I can look back in hindsight and realize just how challenging and difficult I made things for them with the state I was in. I think they realize it was never my intent, and that it was even more frustrating and stressful for me to Be that way.. but I fully get & respect just how hard it was on them, too, and I appreciate just how good they've all been to me despite how difficult I was to be around. Others who haven't lived and experienced what I have won't be able to fully comprehend my perspective & I realize there are going to be some who don't like it.. and I'm okay with that. It is what it is.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jan 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,797
Location: New Zealand

12 Jan 2015, 5:28 pm

You can easily find the whole thing on the net. There is positivity in her speech but it is not about nor for the autists:

Direct quote Suzanne Wright:-

Let us all be honest: autism is like nothing we have ever experienced before and there are a tremendous amount of suffering in our autism families. It reminds me of the words of his Holiness in his writing last year, The Joy of the Gospel, “There are Christians whose lives seem like Lent without Easter.” Many parents and caregivers are tired. They’re confused and angry. We’ve been there. Their joy can be overshadowed by long days with children in need of constant care. They may not know what to do to help. They may not know the word “autism” at all. And if, like my grandson Christian, their loved one has little language to help communicate, they may be a bit lost. Autism is making us look at our whole world in a very different way. End quote.

The message could hardly be clearer that parents of children on the spectrum are all suffering martyrs whose lives are lived in perpetual deprivation.

There's something really wrong with this Goldfish, and I know you are intelligent enough to see that. Imagine straight parents talking about living with their gay adolescent children like that - that it is a state of continuous martyrdom, that the affliction makes their lives so terrible.. it would be outrageous, wouldn't it?



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,839
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

12 Jan 2015, 5:55 pm

B19 wrote:
You can easily find the whole thing on the net. There is positivity in her speech but it is not about nor for the autists:

Direct quote Suzanne Wright:-

Let us all be honest: autism is like nothing we have ever experienced before and there are a tremendous amount of suffering in our autism families. It reminds me of the words of his Holiness in his writing last year, The Joy of the Gospel, “There are Christians whose lives seem like Lent without Easter.” Many parents and caregivers are tired. They’re confused and angry. We’ve been there. Their joy can be overshadowed by long days with children in need of constant care. They may not know what to do to help. They may not know the word “autism” at all. And if, like my grandson Christian, their loved one has little language to help communicate, they may be a bit lost. Autism is making us look at our whole world in a very different way. End quote.

The message could hardly be clearer that parents of children on the spectrum are all suffering martyrs whose lives are lived in perpetual deprivation.

There's something really wrong with this Goldfish, and I know you are intelligent enough to see that. Imagine straight parents talking about living with their gay adolescent children like that - that it is a state of continuous martyrdom, that the affliction makes their lives so terrible.. it would be outrageous, wouldn't it?


Her statement seems to be one of mere facts as she perceives them. There's nothing particularly nasty or negative about it, nor hateful towards Autistics. Nowhere in her statement does she say that parents of children on the spectrum are all suffering martyrs who's lives are lived in perpetual deprivation. Those are your words - words that likely stem from a depressed state of mind & your own pessimistic perceptions of reality. All she's said is that Autism makes life difficult/challenging/stressful for many parents/families - and IMO she's correct in stating so.

Apples to Oranges. Sexual orientation does not present with any of the behavioural/other difficulties as Autism does. Parents do not have to deal with anything remotely comparable to Autism when it comes to their children's sexual orientation. I'm very well aware of this because I'm gay & my being gay has had zero impact on my parents' or family's lives while raising me - especially since they weren't aware of the fact until just a couple of years ago when I was 30 years old. While I wasn't even self aware of my own ASD until approximately age 30, and as such neither were they, they still had to deal with my symptoms/traits/behaviours as they presented themselves throughout my life just as Suzanne Wright described above.

I think you're intelligent enough to see the difference and that your comparison is not a valid comparison at all.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.