Neologism, word playing, idiosyncratic humour

Page 29 of 34 [ 542 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 34  Next

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 6:35 am

:)

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:28 am

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 1:06 pm

My mentality likes Digimon, at least first "part" of it, Digimon Adventure. Digmon, like Pokemon, can be considered something evil by certain believers of Abrahamic religions.

Sukamon, scumon - substance (usually really not pleasant one) elliminated from lower part of digestive tract by the opening in the "arsenic". Words "Sukamon", "Scumon" are names of the Digimon which looks similarily to big, yellow no. 2. Examples of use could be: "to free the Scumon", "to teach Scumon how to swim".

Przygatomonić - Polish neologism meaning for example "to hit (especially powerfully)", it is also associated with a Digimon. This Digimon is Gatomon which looks like a quite antropomorphic, cute female cat. (My mentality likes Gatomon (known also as Tailmon) very much because of its gorgeous appearance).
The word "gatomon" can be used humorously for any (domestic) cat, especially more pretty one, regardless of the sex of the animal.

My mentality likes when Etemon or (especially) MetalEtemon says word like [doyo] in Digimon Adventure (PSP) game, films with playing this game can be found on YouTube. Etemon says it when it uses attack "Dark Spirits" which causes loss of about 500 hit points for player's Champion-level Digimons. MetalEtemon says it when performs attack "Banana Slip" which reduces bonuses to attack and defense of a player's Digimon (or his supporting Digimon) and by itself gives relatively low amount of damage.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2021, 3:34 pm

Rare Sense.

The new, more accurate name for "common sense."

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 6:04 pm

Podcrastinating.

1. Allowing yourself to be distracted by podcasts when you really need to get something done.
2. Procrastinating about working on your podcast.

"Compound podcrastinating" means allowing yourself to be distracted by podcasts when you really need to work on your podcast.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 7:53 am

Cierpionko - dimunitive of Polish word "cierpienie", which means "suffering", so "cierpionko" could mean "little suffering".
Cierpienisko - augmentative of Polish word "cierpienie", so it could mean "large suffering".

Zełko - dimunitive of Polish word "zło", which means "evil", so "zełko" could mean "little evil".
Źlisko - augmentative of Polish word "zło", so it could mean "large evil".

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 12:50 am

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2021, 2:05 pm

Land-Rover, the favorite car from Columbus :cry:

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 4:17 am

Literal translations are sometimes also comical word playing. After all, i cannot imagine that English speakers understand what is meant by the delft blue tile :)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 6:57 pm

Erewhon wrote:
Literal translations are sometimes also comical word playing. After all, i cannot imagine that English speakers understand what is meant by the delft blue tile :)

I'll bite. What on Earth was it supposed to mean?!

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 5:03 am

It means 'everything goes wrong'

When the Britisch say 'its raining cats and dogs' we say 'Het regent pijpestelen'
For us its not funny, but i can imagine that for the people in England it sounds funny when tousends of pipe's falling out of the sky :)

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 10:38 am

A joke I came up with recently, that nobody seems to get:
Whatever happened to Liam Lynch?

/Mats

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 7:23 am

March first

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 4:37 pm

Ectomology.

The exact opposite of entomology (the study of insects). Ectomology studies outsects. Insects are generally very small, numerous and short-lived. They are not very intelligent and they have more limbs than us. So outsects are very large, rare and long-lived. They are highly intelligent and have fewer limbs than us. Ignorant laymen refer to outsects as "whales".

Aimxlitfire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2021, 3:08 am

Fornophobia: fear of fortnite

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 12:53 pm

ペリスモン (Perisumon), Felismon - my "hypothetical" Perfect-level form of Gatomon/Tailmon (who is a Champion-level Digimon). Name is from Latin felis ("cat").

マウモーモン (Maumōmon, Maumoomon) or マウモモン (Maumomon) - Maumomon/Maumoumon - my "hypothetical" Ultimate-level form of Gatomon/Tailmon. From Latin maumō ("to meow"). I imagine this Digimon as having astonishingly powerful acoustic attacks (allusion to (mighty) meowing).