So who here is NOT obsessed with autism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 4:56 pm

We have this image of being super self absorbed, of bringing up autism a lot and reading about it. This can be distressing to me because other people have different conditions too, and this "us vs them", "look at how NTs do this, doesn't it make you feel misanthropic", "aren't we so much smarter because we don't do this and that" type of stuff is a load of crap.

To be honest, aside from these forums I don't think nearly that much about it. There are simply other things that are way more interesting to me and I think I've grown out of this stage of "well look at my perspective and how fresh it is". I'm not always looking around and saying "look at Newton, Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas, Einstein, Copernicus, and these others... they must have been autistic too", rather I say to myself "what wonderful ideas that person had".

More often than not, if I come across something to do with it while I'm reading it's because I've been enjoying a few neurological articles. Aside from that I don't think I've ever read a book like the ones I see referred here, it just doesn't interest me. I've learned to adjust and I'm not jaded about it, I don't like to entertain all kinds of cognitive dissonance like "why was I subjected to this shallow world", the situation merely is what it is.

Is there anyone else here who thinks that an obsession over autism could possibly be one of the least healthy/mature obsessions for someone on the spectrum? I understand that for someone on the lower functioning end of the spectrum the issue is entirely different, as they have trouble even imagining other perspectives. Also I don't mean to put down or discourage anyone when I say this, especially younger folks because I was right there with you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:04 pm

I don't feel that I am "obsessed" with autism.

My objective for being on this site is to make friends, help people, learn about neurodiversity, and learn new things in general.

I truly hope that I have helped somebody on this site--especially if it involves getting a job, becoming independent, or succeeding in school.

Autism is interesting because of the potential which autistic people have (owing to their "unique" viewpoints on things).

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:25 pm

Although I became interested in autism with relation to myself first because it helped me learn about myself, it has since become a general interest. I am building a career in the autism field and have realized that this is my strongest suit, considering I have major difficulty with anything visual-spatial or abstract. What I am most interested in are general experiences and behaviour patterns of people with ASD and interventions that take into account both clinical and neurodiversity perspectives. I am actually most interested in working with those whom you call "lower-functioning". I feel very mature because I have learned a great deal about how to navigate society and how non-ASD people think and behave through my ASD interest. This interest has also carried me through an undergraduate degree and I am applying to graduate school now. The only time I think about ASD with relation to myself is in terms of methods to help me manage some particular challenges that I still experience despite having improved my quality of life immensely over the past 5 years of being involved in ASD-related things.

I know many here may get mad at me for saying this, but I think the least mature "special interests" out there are movie/TV show characters and specific video games. Some people do become video game designers or become involved in the entertainment industry, but from what I've seen, many people with these interests become very delayed in terms of their educational and professional development. Writing may also be an option for those people, but it's quite difficult to make a living off writing.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

BassAlien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2014, 6:35 pm

I'm trying not to be. But as I'm relatively new to this, I'm still coming to terms with it. The forum helps. Isn't that why it's here?

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

12 Dec 2014, 7:58 pm

Lukecash12 wrote:
We have this image of being super self absorbed, of bringing up autism a lot and reading about it. This can be distressing to me because other people have different conditions too, and this "us vs them", "look at how NTs do this, doesn't it make you feel misanthropic", "aren't we so much smarter because we don't do this and that" type of stuff is a load of crap.

To be honest, aside from these forums I don't think nearly that much about it. There are simply other things that are way more interesting to me and I think I've grown out of this stage of "well look at my perspective and how fresh it is". I'm not always looking around and saying "look at Newton, Aristotle, Augustine, Aquinas, Einstein, Copernicus, and these others... they must have been autistic too", rather I say to myself "what wonderful ideas that person had".

More often than not, if I come across something to do with it while I'm reading it's because I've been enjoying a few neurological articles. Aside from that I don't think I've ever read a book like the ones I see referred here, it just doesn't interest me. I've learned to adjust and I'm not jaded about it, I don't like to entertain all kinds of cognitive dissonance like "why was I subjected to this shallow world", the situation merely is what it is.

Is there anyone else here who thinks that an obsession over autism could possibly be one of the least healthy/mature obsessions for someone on the spectrum? I understand that for someone on the lower functioning end of the spectrum the issue is entirely different, as they have trouble even imagining other perspectives. Also I don't mean to put down or discourage anyone when I say this, especially younger folks because I was right there with you.

Honestly, the people I see saying things like that... I just wonder about them. I mainly see it on tumblr, and IMO, tumblr is full of teenage girls and people who want to self-diagnose or identity with all these disorders or ridiculous ideas (have you heard of the people claiming they're fairies or something?? My friend said they call themselves otherkins or something). Obviously everybody on tumblr (and other sites dealing with psychological/psychiatric disorders, including this one) isn't like that, but a large majority of the people seem to fall into the category. I would agree that these people do have an unhealthy obsession, but I'm not sure if it's just with autism - it seems to be with psychological disorders in general. I don't think people who generally come to sites like this are obsessed, they seem to be more curious. I think there's a difference between someone actually obsessed in an unhealthy way versus someone with a strong interest (or I suppose obsession) in autism.

I consider autism a sub-type of my obsession of psychology. It's one of my majors and I'm getting to study autism in the university's autism lab. I could go on about psychology for hours, but I can't necessarily say the same about autism, because I have other research interests as well, like neuroscience (another one of my majors) and personalities and personality disorders.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 10:03 pm

I'm not autistic and I am obsessed with autism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm

I'm not I mean sure I like finding things out about it as I have the condition...but there are some things that interest me more that is for sure. Like I'd be more likely to get a new vinyl record and listen to that then get a book or documentary on aspergers and spend my time on that.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 1:32 am

I am not obsessed with it as I am more concern about it. I lived with it for 40 years without knowing anything about it, and now that someone has told me what it is. I am desperate to find answers.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 2:01 am

I'm very obsessed with it.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm

i'm pro-neurodiversity. i think it's VERY unhealthy to think that autism is an "illness" or that it should be "cured". plus, autism gives benefits non-autistics don't have. why do we need to focus so much on why being non-autistic is so "better"? it's unfair. being autistic and not being autistic are both ways of life. complete with it's good and bad days. it's society that's the real disease when they won't understand us or help us.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 8:02 pm

Not obsessed but just mindful of autism. I don't obcess with Autism itself but mindful enough on just how my autistic differences affect me.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Dec 2014, 8:07 pm

When I 1st joined I was obsessed with learning about it & why I was the way I was but it's not something I dwell on a lot nowadays thou I am aware of it & factor it in.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 10:43 pm

I come here to talk about my autism. I'm not able to share what I share here with my co-workers and family. I have also learned allot about how other people think. I do have a hard time understanding other peoples perspective and interacting here helps me gain perspective that I might not of had otherwise. As fare as obsessed, no. I spend a great deal more time on my special interest's and hobbies. Do I talk about them on here? no. There not very many people that are obsessed with U.S Pennies. I have learned not to talk about them to anyone. No one cares about my pennies the same way that I do. Most people I know hate pennies and they throw them on the ground, the last thing they want to talk about is pennies. And if they do talk about them they talk about when there will be no more pennies.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 10:46 pm

I used to collect pennies.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 11:19 pm

I am kind of glad my interest in it is wearing off.

I noticed your avatar picture changed, kraftiekortie. Did the site change that picture or is it a new rendering of a portrait of you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 11:38 pm

It's a clearer version of the previous avatar. It's not me, though it looks a bit like me. I don't have that strong chin, and my hair graying.